Thread: Transfering Credits from one T-Mobile prepaid to another

Phone
    Blackberry 8320
    Carrier
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score

Transfering Credits from one T-Mobile prepaid to another

I have a T-Mo prepaid 'A' which I purchased last year as a back up and have $100 credit in it which is due to expire in a month. I don't see myself using that # anymore. I am planning to convert my current postpaid account to a prepaid ( Pay by the Day ) account 'B' and was wondering if it would be possible to transfer the credits from my account 'A' to 'B' ? Anyone of you who has experience with transferring credits, please guide me as to how to go about it?

Thanks for your help..

Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    According to the terms of pre-paid, you cannot do this. However, I believe I've read a post from at least one person who claims they were able to transfer the balance.

Phones
    Nokia 5310 w/Jabra BT250V handsfree, Nokia 6010, Nokia 6030
    Nokia 6310i, Nokia 8310 (Europe)
    Carrier
    T-Mobile US, Fido, T-Mobile NL, Orange IL
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by two_2_tango
    I have a T-Mo prepaid 'A' which I purchased last year as a back up and have $100 credit in it which is due to expire in a month. I don't see myself using that # anymore. I am planning to convert my current postpaid account to a prepaid ( Pay by the Day ) account 'B' and was wondering if it would be possible to transfer the credits from my account 'A' to 'B' ? Anyone of you who has experience with transferring credits, please guide me as to how to go about it?

Thanks for your help..
    You can transfer a postpaid to a prepaid. You'd lose the number you transfered from i.e. let's say you have a prepaid account 310-XXX0 and you have a postpaid account 310-XXX1. You can transfer the balance of 310-XXX0 to 310-XXX1 and convert the postpaid to a prepaid. You should be able to retain the minutes balance.
    Moderator yahoogroups forum T-Mobile-US http://groups.yahoo.com/group/T-Mobile-US

Phone
    Nokia 2720
    Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Virgin
    Feedback Score
    I have a T-Mo prepaid 'A' which I purchased last year as a back up and have $100 credit in it which is due to expire in a month. I don't see myself using that # anymore.
    Well ... if you pony up another $10 you'll have another year to figure out what you want to do with the now $110 balance. You *could* run the balance down - put it in the other phone .. ringtones, wallpaper, etc... and at the end, sell the SIM for a premium as a "Gold Rewards" SIM. You *might* have a "premium" telephone number ... for example, 747 numbers have just been released... and someone might pay a premium for the older 818 .. for that matter, *I* like numbers with repeating digits .... maybe you could find something to swap for.
    Regards

Phones
    Unlocked Rogers Blackberry Q10 | LG Nexus-4 | Samsung Nexus-S
    Rogers SonyEricsson c510 (unlocked)
    Fido iPhone 3GS 32GB (unlocked)
    Carrier
    Fido | Rogers Prepaid | LycaMobile US | Bell | T-Mobile Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    When I lost my T-Mobile prepaid SIM card (with phone), the CSR that I spoke with seemed to indicate that I can transfer the balance to another prepaid account or get a replacement prepaid SIM card and put the balance that the replacement.
    Fido (monthly plan - personal/data): Novatel Wireless MC950D or Nokia CS-18

Fido (monthly): ZTE WF720 Wireless Home Phone

Rogers (pay as you go - Canadian prepaid): "Fido" Samsung Nexus-S

Rogers (monthly BIS data plan): Blackberry Q10 <- CANCELLED over Dispute

Lycamobile (US prepaid): Sony-Ericsson c510 or Sony-Ericsson w300i

T-Mobile (US prepaid): unlocked Fido iPhone 3GS 32GB or LG Nexus-4

Bell (tablet plan): LG Nexus-4

My Tech Blog

Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lmcjipo
    When I lost my T-Mobile prepaid SIM card (with phone), the CSR that I spoke with seemed to indicate that I can transfer the balance to another prepaid account or get a replacement prepaid SIM card and put the balance that the replacement.
    You CAN put the number and account on a new SIM. I've also done this when one of my prepaids was stolen. The problem is with transferring the balance to an existing number/account (which is what I think the OP is saying he wants to do). A new number can be assigned to the existing account and in that case, you will lose the old number.

Phone
    Blackberry 8320
    Carrier
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for all your inputs. Looks like a safer option for me would be to transfer all my prepaid credit to the postpaid account and convert postpaid to prepaid. Now that there are two different events which I have to do, is there a sequence in which I have to go about.. 1. Convert postpaid #A to prepaid 2. Transfer credits from old prepaid #B to #A. I just want to avoid the scenario of me losing #A.

Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Prepaid credit cannot be transferred to a postpaid account. When you convert from prepaid to postpaid, you lose any remaining prepaid balance.

Carrier
    All of them.
    Feedback Score
    I have done prepaid to prepaid transfers before, its not easy. It can be done.

The higher the balance the harder it is.

The older the account you are transferring to the harder it is.

The closer the account you want to transfer from is to expiring the harder it is.

Prepaid rules state (on t-mobile systems, streamline): A customer can purchase a new prepaid account and transfer their lost account's (phones) balance to the new one as long as the prepaid account that is lost has more than 7 days before it expires.

But I believe the most a entry level CS rep can transfer at one time is $25 so it may take a manager.

But it can be done. I have done it multiple times.

Sometimes you need to just hang up and call back.
    Home ISP, RR-Ultimate WiFi, $90/mo | Verizon 4G, $30/mo Unlimited

School, $5,000/semester | Work

Phones
    Nokia Lumia
    Nokia Lumia 925
    Samsung i730, HTC HD2
    Carriers
    T-Mobile,
    T-Mobile 2 Go Prepaid
    Feedback Score

Thanks for your help..
    A couple of years ago I ported my postpaid number to an existing prepaid account. You might try that. The prepaid account would then have the postpaid's number, and it's existing balance. Then you could switch the prepaid account to the pay by the day plan.
    --
    Todd Allcock, Microsoft MVP: Mobile Devices 2007-2011

Phone
    Blackberry 8320
    Carrier
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Porting the postpaid # to prepaid seems to be the safer bet. How do you go about doing it? Technically since both are Tmobile#s I guess it's not porting but just MSISDN reuse. Do I initiate it with the prepaid account or the postpaid account?

Thanks for all your inputs..

Phones
    Nokia Lumia
    Nokia Lumia 925
    Samsung i730, HTC HD2
    Carriers
    T-Mobile,
    T-Mobile 2 Go Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Porting the postpaid # to prepaid seems to be the safer bet. How do you go about doing it? Technically since both are Tmobile#s I guess it's not porting but just MSISDN reuse. Do I initiate it with the prepaid account or the postpaid account?

Thanks for all your inputs..

I forget which department handled it- it was two years ago. I do remember whichever one I assumed would handle it was the wrong one and they transferred me to the other!

Also, they f---ed it up royally. They had to wipe out my prepaid balance to do the number change, and when they reinstated the balance, it killed my gold rewards and gave me a 90-day expiration. The only way the rep could "fix" it was to add a $100 card (for free) to my account, so after it was all said and done I picked up 1000 extra minutes on the deal!

(I love happy endings!)