Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Could Someone Steal my Net10 Number

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    1,352
    Phones
    Motorola i335
    IPhone 3G
    Sony Incognito
    Carriers
    Boost CDMA and IDen
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    0

    Could Someone Steal my Net10 Number

    From reading other posts here, it sounds like it is very easy to port a number away from TracFone. Someone said they used the phone number as the account number and was able to port a deactivated tracfone. Does that mean if someone knows I have a tracfone/net10 number, they could port it away from me if I haven't registered an account on Net10 with my name and address? I normally skip the step where I can create an account.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Western Pa.
    Posts
    1,748
    Phones
    w370
    LG 200C
    Kyocera 126C
    Carriers
    Net10
    Feedback Score
    0
    I don't know if having an account with your phone in it safeguards that. It may. It does help safeguard your minutes from being transfered. Nothing is 100% safe.

    I guess the number could be ported out to another carrier or another Tracfone with ease. Of course they know where it goes so they could get it back, but that doesn't make it any less of a hassle.
    There's no present. There's only the immediate future and the recent past.George Carlin

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    3,696
    Phones
    Samsung T201G
    Motorola W376
    BlackBerry 8703e
    Carriers
    AT&T (Tracfone / Net10)
    Feedback Score
    0
    Theoretically yes, they could steal your number. However, the chances of doing so are small because they cannot steal the minutes as well without your parameter 0 and 30 (without a complicit employee), which they cannot get without your phone.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    1,352
    Phones
    Motorola i335
    IPhone 3G
    Sony Incognito
    Carriers
    Boost CDMA and IDen
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    0
    I know they couldn't steal my minutes, but a malicious person could easily deactivate someone's phone number.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Dang, I always forget where I am!
    Posts
    2,367
    Phones
    If I told 'ya.....
    I'd have to terminate your contract...
    And that would mean an Evil ETF!
    Carriers
    I've used them all...
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by shawnlg
    I know they couldn't steal my minutes, but a malicious person could easily deactivate someone's phone number.
    Hmmm.... very interesting idea you got there! hmmmmm..

    ROFL! I wouldn't be the one to try that, seeing as how talking to CS people makes me break out in hives (see my thread in the T-Mobile subforum for more details on WHY talking to customer service is not good for my blood pressure or my complexion!).

    Still, interesting thought there.... harrassed1 are you reading this?????
    I guess I don't know the right people, because I can't get away with anything around here... Rest assured, though, I will never maliciously properly quote anybody again!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Classified
    Posts
    9,670
    Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    When I ported out of TracFone I swear I used the serial number of my phone as the account number. Or does it not matter what you put?? I'm about to port in to TracFone soon then back out, so we'll see. I should put something funny as my account number and see if it even matters
    Castrol EDGE 5W-30 is my drug of choice.

    Primary: iPhone 5S, Galaxy S4, & LG L90: 5 lines, 1x $15 5GB data, 2x $5 Android web, 1x $2.99 T-Zones, corp discount + $10/mo loyalty discount = $93/mo tax inclusive
    Secondary: iPhone 4 & Optimus Dynamic II: TracFone (Verizon); Galaxy Epic: RingPlus (Sprint)
    Tablet: iPad Mini Retina w/ T-Mobile 4G LTE

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Western Pa.
    Posts
    1,748
    Phones
    w370
    LG 200C
    Kyocera 126C
    Carriers
    Net10
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by IsLand_BoY
    When I ported out of TracFone I swear I used the serial number of my phone as the account number. Or does it not matter what you put?? I'm about to port in to TracFone soon then back out, so we'll see. I should put something funny as my account number and see if it even matters
    I have initiated 5 ports from killed phones. I used the phone number for the account number and the actual carrier as the carrier. I never put any Tracfone info in as the carrier or the phone info. 4 of those completed within a few hours, one is still not complete after 3 days.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,302
    Phone
    Droid Incredible 2
    Carriers
    Page Plus
    Lycamobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    "How are you gentlemen
    All your phone number are belong to us
    You are on the way to destruction"

    "What you say?!"

    "You have no chance to survive make your time.
    Ha ha ha ha...."

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Dang, I always forget where I am!
    Posts
    2,367
    Phones
    If I told 'ya.....
    I'd have to terminate your contract...
    And that would mean an Evil ETF!
    Carriers
    I've used them all...
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by jimates
    I have initiated 5 ports from killed phones. I used the phone number for the account number and the actual carrier as the carrier. I never put any Tracfone info in as the carrier or the phone info. 4 of those completed within a few hours, one is still not complete after 3 days.
    Jimates, were you porting from your killed Tracs to new Tracs? Or were you porting out to a neutral carrier, like T-Mobile or Virgin or Page Plus?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Western Pa.
    Posts
    1,748
    Phones
    w370
    LG 200C
    Kyocera 126C
    Carriers
    Net10
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by CSI_Nut
    Jimates, were you porting from your killed Tracs to new Tracs? Or were you porting out to a neutral carrier, like T-Mobile or Virgin or Page Plus?
    Porting to new Tracfones.

    I ported my son's from Tracfone to Net10 and the rest from Tracfone to Tracfone. Since I couldn't transfer the number because the phones were inactive I just chose to port them from an outside company and use the actual carrier instead of Tracfone.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Over There!
    Posts
    18,832
    Carrier
    All of them.
    Feedback Score
    0
    I have thought about this before too, and not just on tracfone, but almost any carrier. Prepaid just makes it easier.
    Home ISP, RR-Ultimate WiFi, $90/mo | Verizon 4G, $30/mo Unlimited

    School, $5,000/semester | Work

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    2,795
    Carrier
    PagePlus - No Dealer Required
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by mharris127
    Theoretically yes, they could steal your number. However, the chances of doing so are small because they cannot steal the minutes as well without your parameter 0 and 30 (without a complicit employee), which they cannot get without your phone.
    Actually it would be very hard for me to steal your trac airtime unless I have the s/n (IMEI/ESN) of your fone. With your s/n I have everything. The fone number alone gives me nothing. However, If I have your s/n I can get your fone number by initiating a transfer with a trac csr or by registering it to my account. Yes I did say "by initiating a transfer with a trac csr" even though YOU have it in YOUR account..........hehe.

    I don't need your par values...........seriously........Not needed. AND I can steal more minutes from your fone than you really even have on your fone right now.

    ALSO...........you would not even notice that I have taken your airtime for at least 30 days from the date that I do, sometimes even longer........I'm an honest person though. So I don't! Seriously!
    Having to wait even an hour to get a prepaid wireless plan pin from an online dealer or pin seller is NOT great, good or even mediocre customer service when you consider this instant internet age we live in. Why let anyone convince you otherwise? Understaffed is what it's called.(Two is not a team)

    I recently tested the "don't mention a PP Dealer by name" rule here on PP Hofo......trust me, it is still in effect - got me a 7 day ban.


Bookmarks