Thread: Do T-Mobile post-paid SIMs work on T-Mobile pre-paid phones?

Feedback Score

Do T-Mobile post-paid SIMs work on T-Mobile pre-paid phones?

Do T-Mobile post-paid SIMs work on T-Mobile pre-paid phones?

I lost my T-Mobile cell phone few days back, I still have about 7 months of contract felt. I talked to T-Mobile and even the cheapest new phone from will cost me at least $100. I was wondering if I can but a cheap prepaid cell phone (generally $20 - $30) and put get a new SIM for $20 and use in in the prepaid phone? i looked on the internet and there were some articles which suggest that its very much possible, but i wanted to know if anyone here has actually tried it.

Phones
    Iphone 5S (AT&T)
    iPhone 4S (VZ)
    Samsung SCH–LC11 LTE Aircard
    Carrier
    AT&T & Verizon. T-Mobile 1999-2009, RIP.
    Feedback Score
    Yes you can buy a prepaid tmobile phone in a walmart or whereever, and use a post-paid sim in it.

I'm not 100% sure, but I would think the SIM that comes in the box could be just attached to your post-paid account, instead of its original intended purpose (for prepaid).

Carriers
    Sprint (3rd party dealer plan) & (VZW $10 Conession line.)>Helio(50% off dealer plan)>ATT>T-MOB>VZW
    Feedback Score
    That is correct Blacknoi, If you buy at wally world they do not activate them. They do only let you buy 3 at a time tho due to dealers buying them up then selling them at markup or as flexpay phones.

But you can just scrap the activation kit and use the sim as post paid sim replacement. Or you can activate the prepaid (if you still have ur sim) and use that prepaid sim to dowload a ringtone or game. They useally have $3.34 or 10 mins balance on them
    No one is responsible for my post but me! SCK

^^Compaq CQ50 thru MyTether WiFi^^^
    Pre Speedtest 6/15/09

Feedback Score
    Thirding, there is no issue at all with doing this. The v195 is usually cheap on prepaid and it is a great basic phone.

Phones
    Google Nexus 5
    Google Nexus 4 (Wife)
    Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Bought plenty of prepaid phones and used them with postpaid SIM's.

My backup Nokia 6030 and my mom's Moto V195 are prepaid phones. The Moto V195 was flashed with V195s firmware to get myFaves support.
    Phone History: Samsung Galaxy Note 2 | HTC Sensation 4G | Google Nexus One | HTC HD2 | Nokia 5230 Nuron | Nokia N900 | BB Curve 8900 | iPhone 3G | Google Ion | Nokia 5800XM | Nokia E71-2 | T-Mobile G1 | iPhone 2G

My Feedbacks: eBay | Heatware | HoFo

Feedback Score
    thanks guys - going to store right now!

Carriers
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    phone does not care your SIM card is prepaid or postpaid!
    As long as it got activated, it is ready to go
    T-Mobile - the largest fake 4G network in Americas

HTC HD2 Speed on 3G/HSDPA

T-mobile 3G/H or Pharos 137

My broadband speed

My WM phone is the best GPS now, say good bye junk Andriod

Phone
    iPhone 4S
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    All SIMs work the same. When my iPhone on T-Mobile needed a newer SIM to remedy the voicemail icon problem on powerup, I just got a cheap prepaid phone from Target. Used that SIM. Gave the phone away to a buddy that wanted the phone just for the new battery.

Phones
    Iphone 5S (AT&T)
    iPhone 4S (VZ)
    Samsung SCH–LC11 LTE Aircard
    Carrier
    AT&T & Verizon. T-Mobile 1999-2009, RIP.
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by abenusa
    All SIMs work the same. When my iPhone on T-Mobile needed a newer SIM to remedy the voicemail icon problem on powerup, I just got a cheap prepaid phone from Target. Used that SIM. Gave the phone away to a buddy that wanted the phone just for the new battery.
    My 10 year old Omnipoint sim works great in the first gen iphone, no VM icon issue.

So it cant be purely age related.

Phone
    iPhone 4S
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I was using about a 5 year old SIM in my 1st gen iPhone. I had the VM indicator issue on power up. Did a search here in the forums, and several persons said get a newer SIM as it was SIM related. I did, and the problem went away. So I don't know if it was age or something else.

Carriers
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by abenusa
    I was using about a 5 year old SIM in my 1st gen iPhone. I had the VM indicator issue on power up. Did a search here in the forums, and several persons said get a newer SIM as it was SIM related. I did, and the problem went away. So I don't know if it was age or something else.
    My 11 years old Omnipoint SIM card works fine on iPhone. I don;t know what VM issue is, i can MWI when message in my box.
    Only the case, some old SIM card does not support 3.3v mode, only 5v.
    Newer SIM card wokrs on both 5V or 3.3v

Phones
    Nokia 5310 w/Jabra BT250V handsfree, Nokia 6010, Nokia 6030
    Nokia 6310i, Nokia 8310 (Europe)
    Carrier
    T-Mobile US, Fido, T-Mobile NL, Orange IL
    Feedback Score
    If people would take a quick look at the wiki they'd see this is answered.
    Moderator yahoogroups forum T-Mobile-US http://groups.yahoo.com/group/T-Mobile-US

Carriers
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Telekom
    If people would take a quick look at the wiki they'd see this is answered.
    the WiKi infomation is not accurate

Phones
    Nokia 5310 w/Jabra BT250V handsfree, Nokia 6010, Nokia 6030
    Nokia 6310i, Nokia 8310 (Europe)
    Carrier
    T-Mobile US, Fido, T-Mobile NL, Orange IL
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CoolPhone
    the WiKi infomation is not accurate
    The information about SIMs is absolutely accurate. And it's much more helpful to point out what's not accurate than to leave it be inaccurate.

The wiki says:

"T-Mobile SIMs whether for use with prepaid service or used on monthly billed accounts are identical. The difference is only in how billing is accomplished with prepaid requiring that you pay for your calling time in advance and with postpaid billing a statement is either mailed to you each month or your charges are available on line. You may use a SIM configured for prepaid or monthly in any handset that is either locked to T-Mobile or is unlocked.

You can also use a T-Mobile SIM in any frequency compatible (1900 Mhz minimum capability)handset provided that the handset does not have any SIM lock restriction from another network."

What's inaccurate?