Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: iWireless Megatalk Nationwide: is there a catch?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    68
    Phone
    Nokia E63
    Feedback Score
    0

    iWireless Megatalk Nationwide: is there a catch?

    Is there a catch to the iWireless Megatalk Nationwide plan being offered for $49/30 days?

    "MEGAtalk Nationwide offers Unlimited Talk + Text + Mobile Web with no long distance and no roaming charges."
    http://iwireless.com/plans_detail.asp?plan=97

    Meanwhile, a 1500 minute nationwide plan alone is $39.99/mo. right now. Add in Internet, and that's already more expensive than the $49 Megatalk plan.

    Am I missing something?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Jeddah
    Posts
    1,755
    Phones
    Nokia N97 NAM
    Nokia N95-4
    N95-3, E61i
    Carrier
    Mobily
    Feedback Score
    0
    i was also interested in this and i am thinking the same thing? Is long distance also included or unlimited call means "in state only" calling?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    3,904
    Carrier
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    0
    I don't think there is a catch. They've been in business for a while, because I remember looking them up a while ago.

    They might be hoping you stay in the regional area.

    It should be fine to go with.

    I'd recommend Page Plus, or another provider, just because of the lower pricing in the past few months, and it is without a contract.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    414
    Feedback Score
    0

    The catches...

    Is that you must have an area code from their home tristate service area. I tried to port my out of state number and was told I'd have to take a new local number. It is a bit like Boost cdma. They have area codes for 13 states only and if you want their service you have to take one of those areas.
    This is the ONLY nationwide capable unlimited gsm sim deal I've seen that can compete against anything the cdma guys have like Cricket, Metro, VM, PPC, and Boost iden.

    Their CSR also said the reason it is so cheap is that it is not meant to be a permanent deal. This means that it is either a temporary plan or a promo plan that will get allow subscribers to continue but not allow any new ones on this plan, kind of like Kajeet's new unlimited talk/text plan for $50 which is taking subscribers till Sept 30 only.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    3,904
    Carrier
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by gestaltent
    Is that you must have an area code from their home tristate service area. I tried to port my out of state number and was told I'd have to take a new local number. It is a bit like Boost cdma. They have area codes for 13 states only and if you want their service you have to take one of those areas.
    This is the ONLY nationwide capable unlimited gsm sim deal I've seen that can compete against anything the cdma guys have like Cricket, Metro, VM, PPC, and Boost iden.

    Their CSR also said the reason it is so cheap is that it is not meant to be a permanent deal. This means that it is either a temporary plan or a promo plan that will get allow subscribers to continue but not allow any new ones on this plan, kind of like Kajeet's new unlimited talk/text plan for $50 which is taking subscribers till Sept 30 only.
    It might be in testing to see how it goes.

    I think Kajeet is testing their plan. I think testing will go well and they'll continue it.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Jeddah
    Posts
    1,755
    Phones
    Nokia N97 NAM
    Nokia N95-4
    N95-3, E61i
    Carrier
    Mobily
    Feedback Score
    0
    i called iWireless and they said half of your service usage has to be in iowa. So that mean ppl from other states can not get their service.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    3,904
    Carrier
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by paracha3
    i called iWireless and they said half of your service usage has to be in iowa. So that mean ppl from other states can not get their service.
    That makes sense.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    13
    Phones
    Google HTC Nexus One
    Apple iPhone 3G (Good riddance!)
    Carrier
    iwireless
    Feedback Score
    0
    I just got the unlimited everything plan on my unlocked iphone. Works PERFECT and I get better reception.

    Everyone in the Iowa or Illinois Quad City Area should really think about it.

    Sure, the data is EDGE, but it really isn't that bad considering that the iphone has wifi.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    3,904
    Carrier
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by cwirth7
    I just got the unlimited everything plan on my unlocked iphone. Works PERFECT and I get better reception.

    Everyone in the Iowa or Illinois Quad City Area should really think about it.

    Sure, the data is EDGE, but it really isn't that bad considering that the iphone has wifi.
    I remember following this a while ago. I forgot all about it..

    Well, enjoy! (I can't get it. I'm not in that area..)

Bookmarks