Thread: Okay to give out ESN number?

Phone
    HTC EVO 4G
    Carrier
    Sprint
    Feedback Score

Okay to give out ESN number?

I'm selling a phone (Craig's List) and someone relatively aggressively asked for the ESN number. Is it safe to give the person the info? I worry someone can take take my good ESN and code it somehow to a phone with a bad ESN number.

Phone
    Iphone 4
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Ive sold many phones on both craigslist and ebay and have given out the esn number. Some people want the esn to check to make sure they aren't getting ripped off when they buy a phone. When I put up an ad, I usually state that the esn is clear and there is no problem connecting the phone to a Verizon account.

From my experience, Craigslist is a bit shaky with many scammers. If the person buying the phone gives you his/her phone number then you can probably be safe in giving the esn number. If not, then I would be hesitant to give out the esn number.

Scammers tend to stay away from person contact so you can't tract them down once they scam you.
    Last edited by ScruffyGuy; 06-05-2009 at 08:24 PM.

Phones
    Current:Bold 9650
    Past:Tour 9630- Red 8330-Titanium 8330-Red 8130-
    Amethyst 8130- LG Voyager-Palm Treo 700p-Palm Treo 650
    Carrier
    Alltel
    Feedback Score
    I agree with Scruffy. When I've sold phones on ebay, I just say in the description that the ESN is clear and guaranteed to activate on the network or I'll refund the money. I've never bought or sold anything on Craigslist. Never even been to the website, for that matter. However, if the person is really getting that aggressive, is it really worth selling it to them? I've gotten messages from ebay buyers asking for the ESN. I always repeat that it's guaranteed or their money back, but that I cannot give out the ESN. I know that there's a slim chance that someone will clone the ESN, but it's just my luck. I'd rather sell the phone cheaper (or not at all), rather than have a brick that I can never sell (or even use) again.
    This confusion can easily be avoided if you pronounce the word intended aloud. If it has a voiced Z sound, then it’s “lose.” If it has a hissy S sound, then it’s “loose.” Here are examples of correct usage: “He tends to lose his keys.” “She lets her dog run loose.”

Loose
    not rigidly fastened or securely attached

Lose
    to miss from one's possession or from a customary or supposed place

Also, just because a word has an "s" at the end, doesn't mean it needs an apostrophe.

Phone
    Incredible
    Carrier
    Assimilated on Aug 7 1993
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (Ive been Dared: Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; Teleca Q7; Brew 3.1.5; U; en) 240X400 LGE VX9700)

a good buyer will be adament about an ESN being provided before purchase. too many people have gotten dooped into buying phones that are on the lost/stolen list to just blindly buy a phone w/out checking the ESN. kudos to you for asking and to vzw for the ability for perspective buyers to be able to check it once you provide it. this is a great thread question imo
    the United States is the land of the FREE because of the BRAVE!! Thank You to all who serve or have served and their families in the United States armed services!! Your sacrifices are NOT in vain may God continue to bless America
    For God so loves YOU, He gave His only Son....John 3:16

Phone
    Iphone 4
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I didn't think it was possible to clone the esn on cdma phones. I do agree when selling online it is better to be cautious. If someone is that pushy it is better of not selling to them. Chances are you will have problems in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by mick662
    I agree with Scruffy. When I've sold phones on ebay, I just say in the description that the ESN is clear and guaranteed to activate on the network or I'll refund the money. I've never bought or sold anything on Craigslist. Never even been to the website, for that matter. However, if the person is really getting that aggressive, is it really worth selling it to them? I've gotten messages from ebay buyers asking for the ESN. I always repeat that it's guaranteed or their money back, but that I cannot give out the ESN. I know that there's a slim chance that someone will clone the ESN, but it's just my luck. I'd rather sell the phone cheaper (or not at all), rather than have a brick that I can never sell (or even use) again.

Phone
    Incredible
    Carrier
    Assimilated on Aug 7 1993
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (Ive been Dared: Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; Teleca Q7; Brew 3.1.5; U; en) 240X400 LGE VX9700)

there used to be a site called (name withheld to prevent getting banned)swireless website that told how to clone moto phones ESNs but i dont know if its still valid or if the methods work. the owner was somebody that was high up in the techno design dept of moto and got angry with their policies and posted a web site on how to hack moto phones, including cloning the ESN

Carrier
    I <3 Verizon!
    Feedback Score
    If you're selling on Craigslist, just meet the person at the VZW store, they will check the esn for him, when he sees it is clear, make your sale.

Phone
    Iphone 4
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Also, you can have the person try the *228 option 3 and activate the phone while you are with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe12304
    If you're selling on Craigslist, just meet the person at the VZW store, they will check the esn for him, when he sees it is clear, make your sale.

Phones
    MOT Droid Mini,
    Home Phone Connect,
    MOT Droid 3,
    Carriers
    Verizon Wireless, Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    When I sell a phone a eBay (a rare event), I also put that I would be happy to supply the winner of the auction with the ESN, if they want, before they make payment. This way, the ESN isn't posted on the 'net for everyone, forever, but instead is just given one-on-one via email to the buyer.

The few times I have posted anything on Craiglist, most of the calls or emails I get, are from shady characters who have absolutely no interest in actually making a legitimate purchase. With the majority being scam artists, possibly not even in the USA, I would never give out any details ahead of time.

Phones
    MOT Droid Mini,
    Home Phone Connect,
    MOT Droid 3,
    Carriers
    Verizon Wireless, Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ScruffyGuy
    If the person buying the phone gives you his/her phone number then you can probably be safe in giving the esn number. If not, then I would be hesitant to give out the esn number.
    If from Craiglist, I would even take the extra step, and run the phone number they give you, thru a reverse lookup, like offered on whitepages.com. Make sure things seem to match up, before inviting them over to your home.

Phone
    Iphone 4
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I never ever invite anyone from Craigslist to my house. I always meet them in a public place. There are some psycho people on craigslist.

Quote Originally Posted by WaltA
    If from Craiglist, I would even take the extra step, and run the phone number they give you, thru a reverse lookup, like offered on whitepages.com. Make sure things seem to match up, before inviting them over to your home.

Phones
    Samsung Rogue
    Orange Boulder
    Env, V325
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (Orange Boulder: utstarc711/1.0 UP.Browser/6.2.3.2 (GUI) MMP/2.0)

Yea make that public place the verizon store
    Computer

Cell Phone w/USB

Boulder Ringtones

Feedback Score
    Once, I brought a phone from Craigslist and before I paid for it, I asked the person to check the ESN for me onsite at the meeting place. That way, I could see if the ESN was clear and CS would have a record of whoever checked the ESN last and therefore track them.