Thread: Tracfone DOUBLE-MINUTES or NET-10....???

Feedback Score

Question Tracfone DOUBLE-MINUTES or NET-10....???

Which one of the two do you think is better? I have had NET-10 for over
    a year now and I like the service. I am not very impressed with most of their phones though. Today... I bought the LG-300g, and I cannot stand it. The buttons are small, and other issues.

Concerning minutes, which is a better deal. A Net-10 phone @ 10cents a minute or a Tracfone with double-minutes for life?

Thanks in advance

~ david ~

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaveinNJ
    Which one of the two do you think is better? I have had NET-10 for over
    a year now and I like the service. I am not very impressed with most of their phones though. Today... I bought the LG-300g, and I cannot stand it. The buttons are small, and other issues.

Concerning minutes, which is a better deal. A Net-10 phone @ 10cents a minute or a Tracfone with double-minutes for life?

Thanks in advance

~ david ~
    ...Tracfone with double-minutes for life?...
    For the life of the phone you buy!...
    From the postings in these forums, people change phones like they change "shirts"... so the double mn one gets are not transferable as many here can tell you the sad stories they lately experienced with the Free minutes; and they ended up losing their "shirt" so to speak!
    I would stick with Net10 if you use the phone more than 120mn a month and chose Trac if used less than 1,000mn a Year.

P.S Before getting rid of LG 300, you better use the 300mn that came with it or you may lose everything if you try to transfer to another phone!

Last edited by meetoo88; 06-10-2009 at 09:53 PM.

Phones
    Samsung T201G
    Motorola W376
    BlackBerry 8703e
    Carriers
    AT&T (Tracfone / Net10)
    Feedback Score
    If you use less than 100 minutes a month use Tracfone for sure, you would just build minutes on Net10. If you use more than 450 minutes a quarter (150 minutes a month) and are willing to buy a $79 card with 900 minutes on it at once, Tracfone is cheaper per minute (you may build minutes there as well, substitute 120 (240 DMFL) or 200 minute (400 DMFL) cards as needed to give you service days to use them up). Using 200 minute Trac cards or any amount at Net10 (they are all 10cpm there), they are only cheaper if you use bonus codes, otherwise they are the same price as Net10 but the expiry is longer. If you go with Tracfone, which is probably the best option unless you need unlimited, spend the $30 and get the Moto W376 with DMFL. All this assumes you will use the same phone for a lengthy period of time (my father's old V60 has been in use since 2005, so they do last for a while)

I personally use both, I have Net10 for my high use phone and Tracfone for a spare I keep for any guests (as well as an ATT phone, I guess I like to play with them).
    Go to http://s7.zetaboards.com/Go4Prepaid/index/ for bonus codes, please report to us what ones you use and their result.

Note: If you use more than 800 minutes a month you may want Net10 for the unlimited plan, but cheaper options exist for more than 500 minutes a month -- such as Boost Unlimited or Virgin Unlimited.

If you ever want a throw-away phone (for a guest, maybe), Net10 comes with 300 minutes already loaded on it compared with Trac's 20.

Phones
    w370
    LG 200C
    Kyocera 126C
    Carriers
    Net10
    Feedback Score
    Even if you buy a Tracfone without dmfl adding it at the full retail price of $49.99 pays for itself after 200 mintues.

see the comparison here

They are still offering their web exclusive dmfl card for $24.99.
    There's no present. There's only the immediate future and the recent past.George Carlin

Carrier
    All of them.
    Feedback Score
    And this is all assuming they wont kill your phone off
    Home ISP, RR-Ultimate WiFi, $90/mo | Verizon 4G, $30/mo Unlimited

School, $5,000/semester | Work

Phones
    w370
    LG 200C
    Kyocera 126C
    Carriers
    Net10
    Feedback Score
    You know what you can get at Net10. And you could have received some very good detailed answers if you had told us how many minute you use per month.

The phones at Tracfone are not any better really but they do offer a couple that Net10 does not have.

This info was written for a general answer so you will already know some of it since you are an existing user.

With Net10 you get 10 cents per minute all the time with a minimum $15 a month.
    Your initial investement for the phone will inlcude the first 300 minutes and 60 days of service. So you will get an average usage of 150 mintues a month @ 10 cents per minute.

You can buy a phone bundle for $30 which includes an extra airtime card for 300 mintues. 600 minutes and 4 months of service for $30. That is 5 cents per minute or $7.50 per month. Average of 150 minutes a month.

With Tracfone you will only get 20 minutes with the purchase of the phone but you will get 60 days of service which will help offset the per month rate but you will have to purchase airtime immediately so the cost of the phone and the cost of initial airtime has to be calculated into the first usage rate.

For comparison, you can get Tracfone at 10 cents per minute with a minimum of $13.33 a month just by having a dmfl phone and buying a 200 minute airtime card every 90 days. That would give you slightly less per month usage than with Net10.

That calculation does not include the possibility of a bonus code used when adding the card that could net up to 60 mintues. If you get 60 bonus minutes with the addition of the 200 minute card then you average 153 minutes per month @ 8.69 cents per minute.

You can buy the w376 bundle online that includes the dmfl phone and a 60 minute airtime card for $16.99. That bundle alone will give 200 minutes and 5 months of service. That is 8.49 cents per minute or $3.40 per month. I think that is the best monthly rate you will find.

1 year card for $100 with a bonus code is 10.5 cents per min. & $8.33 a month
    450 minute card for $80 with a bonus code is 8.33 cents per min. & $26.66 a month
    200 minute card for $40 with a bonus code is 8.69 cnets per min. & $13.33 a month
    120 minute card for $30 with a bonus code is 10.0 cents per min. & $10.00 a month
    60 minute card for $20 with a bouns code is 11.11 cents per min. & $6.66 a month

If you buy the airtime on the web site you can buy additional minutes at a cost of 16.66 cents per minute at the same time.

If you enroll your tracfone in one of the value plans you can purchase additional minute bundles anytime you want at a cost of 10 cents per minute (dmfl phone) with no additional service days.

The $9.99 monthly value plan will give you 100 minutes. that is 10 cents per mintue and $10 per month.
    The service protection plan is $5.99 for no minutes but you can buy additional mintues at a rate of 10 cents per minute.

None of the calculations include sales tax and all were figured for a phone with double minutes for life. All bonus codes were figured at 60 minutes.
    Last edited by jimates; 06-11-2009 at 01:05 AM.