Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: *228 PRL Update Problem

Feedback Score

*228 PRL Update Problem

I have a Razr V3m and every time I try to update the PRL with *228 it changes to 20040 and loses EVDO capability. Alltel tech support indicated they cannot push a PRL and that the software needed to be reflashed, so I flashed with an Alltel V3m monster pack. This restored EVDO and PRL 36606. When I tried to update again with *228 it went right back to 20040. I am in central Arkansas 60 miles east of Fort Smith on SID 342. Any help would be really appreciated.

Phones
    Motorola Droid X
    Motorola Droid X
    Samsung Alias2
    Carrier
    Alltel/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I don't know what info is sent during a PRL update or how the system determines what PRL to download but my only thought is that maybe Alltel has a non-EVDO capable phone listed as your current phone. Should be as simple as logging into MyAccount and looking at the phone listed.

The only other thing I could think of is maybe the system is having problems in that area, perhaps due to the Verizon integration.
    Remember kids... Bribery is illegal but lobbying is not

Mick662: "Someday, you will meet people on the internet who are so dumb, you will find it hard to comprehend. They probably got beat up a lot at school for being this dumb. And they deserved it".

Phones
    LG Ally
    Mifi2200
    LG Ally
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Same here

I lost EV completely with the June 8th *228 PRL update. Prior to that I had an occasional EV on my phone. Now it's the big green D. I live in Fort Myers. If you look at the thread concerned with the new PRLs that were rolled out on June 8, you'll see that 20040 is for non-EVDO devices. I looked at my account and there's no place that my indicated I have a phone with EVDO. I don't really care, since I'm a talker, and don't need EVDO.

Phones
    XV6875 (Touch Pro 2) (Solid)
    PPC6800 (Titan) (Glitchy)
    RAZR2 v9m (swapped for above)
    Carrier
    Alltel (Red)
    Feedback Score
    However the case may be, since you are using a v3m, which is an ev-do capable phone, it will keep trying to pull that signal, running your battery down. At least, that was the case for me when I had the v3m. You should keep trying to get it, as you can possibly see better battery life.

As to not the 20040 PRL pull. Worst case scenario you push a PRL to the phone and leave it be. You can do it with almost any variety of PST programs, however, I'd suggest you did some searching around the forums as I don't really like messing with the program. If you don't want to take that route, I'd say keep *228'ing until you get something.

Phone
    Apple iPhone 5
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I had the same problem with a V3m but I just assumed it was because the phone was originally a USCC ESN. Is this occurring across the board with this model?

Phones
    Carrier
    Alltel (Red)
    Feedback Score
    seems to be. This problem was brought up in another thread.

http://howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=1535849

Quote Originally Posted by Downtown
    We are finding the new PRL is damaging the reception on E-815's on older razrs. Some to the point of not working at all. This is no small issue as we have been selling tons of these as used phones.

Feedback Score
    I think my PRL updating issue is a combination of old firmware and the conversion to Verizon. I have searched this forum and all over the internet looking for the V3M update software (not a monster pack) version NCR_02.0A.00R. Does anyone know if it is available? Would the flashing procedure for an update be the same as for a monster pack?

Phones
    Carrier
    Alltel (Red)
    Feedback Score
    When I had mine, they told me that they could flash my v3m but they wouldn't guarantee it wouldn't crash my phone.

Phone
    Pearl 8130
    Carrier
    Alltel
    Feedback Score
    I've had luck using *22802. I guess the *22801 is for eastern regions of the country, but don't take that as 100% fact.

Phones
    Motorola Hint
    EC168 Datacard
    Carrier
    Alltel/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I did *228 because my phone was having fits, and it did the same thing. Now my phone is acting up big time. Nice work, Alltel.

Phone
    Motorola RAZR V3m
    Carrier
    Alltel
    Feedback Score
    I had the same problem with my V3m.

Check out this thread:

http://howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=1507646

and specifically my post where I explain how I updated my phone:

http://howardforums.com/showthread.p...1#post12657651

I got the PRL from The Answerman's website:

http://www.the-answerman.com/sidlist/prl/index.asp

Phones
    BlackBerry Tour
    BlackBerry Tour
    Motorola VU204
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I had the exact same problem with my wife's V3M starting around the first of this month. After using *228 (which went to the "OTA" message) to update the PRL, the V3M reverted to non EVDO reception. This did not happen on any of my other phones. A few days later, Mr daughter received a text message from Alltel to update her Moto Q via *22896 (which by the way, used the "old" voice message from Alltel rather than the "OTA" message). I decided to try this (*22896) on the V3M and it restored it back to the correct (30040) PRL and EVDO. Last week I found that *228 (OTA message) put the V3M back to 20041, so I tried to use *22896 again, but could not. I then tried *22897 (which used the Alltel message) and it restored the V3M PRL to 30041 and full EVDO in this area again.

Phones
    LG Ally
    Mifi2200
    LG Ally
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

I tried both of those *228s

and, here is SID 42 (Fort Myers) I can't do the *22897, can do *22896, but didn't get the 30040 PRL.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bama Ran Jon
    I had the exact same problem with my wife's V3M starting around the first of this month. After using *228 (which went to the "OTA" message) to update the PRL, the V3M reverted to non EVDO reception. This did not happen on any of my other phones. A few days later, Mr daughter received a text message from Alltel to update her Moto Q via *22896 (which by the way, used the "old" voice message from Alltel rather than the "OTA" message). I decided to try this (*22896) on the V3M and it restored it back to the correct (30040) PRL and EVDO. Last week I found that *228 (OTA message) put the V3M back to 20041, so I tried to use *22896 again, but could not. I then tried *22897 (which used the Alltel message) and it restored the V3M PRL to 30041 and full EVDO in this area again.

Phones
    BlackBerry Tour
    BlackBerry Tour
    Motorola VU204
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Oh well...it was worth a try I guess...I just used *22897 and got 30042 on my E815 and my wife's V3M with both getting EVDO....

Phones
    tethering data of Dell Venue 8 Android
    AT&T Z998
    Carriers
    AT&T 4G GoPhone
    AT&T 3G had disappered Required 4G handset for Hays area
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kars85
    I've had luck using *22802. I guess the *22801 is for eastern regions of the country, but don't take that as 100% fact.
    Yeah its for A or B sides as Star 22801 for A side and Star 22802 for B side...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast