Thread: Charging G1 with car charger slow?

Phones
    HTC G1
    Samsung Blackjack
    Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

Question Charging G1 with car charger slow?

My husband and I have both noticed our phones charge really slow post cupcake in the car. Seems to take 10 minutes or better for just a couple of percent. Before it would charge 30-40% or better in a short amount of time. Has anyone else noticed this and is there any sort of fix for it?
    This is with different chargers and has been in different vehicles so it is not the phones, chargers or cars. Both phones charge as fast as usual with the home charger.

Phones
    Nexus 4, Galaxy Nexus (GSM)
    Nexus 4, Galaxy Nexus (GSM)
    Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I've noticed the same, but i also had this pre-cupcake. Car charging was always slow for me. I'd attribute the difference to more accurate battery reporting.

^ TMO LTE ^---------------|------St Louis-------|----------------^ ATT LTE ^

Phone
    Nexus 4 (CM 10)
    Carrier
    ·T···Mobile·
    Feedback Score
    have you noticed whether or not the battery life is any different in terms of minutes you're about to use it or just what the phone is reporting

Phones
    HTC G1
    Samsung Blackjack
    Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by greenlime812
    have you noticed whether or not the battery life is any different in terms of minutes you're about to use it or just what the phone is reporting
    Not sure what you mean exactly...all I know for sure is when the battery is low at work and it will gain very little charge after being plugged in for 30 min-hour or better. But at home with the wall charger it will be halfway or better in the same time frame. I have never noticed this before with this phone nor any others I have had...they have always charged a good bit, and this G1 did pre cupcake. It's very strange.

Phone
    Nexus 4 (CM 10)
    Carrier
    ·T···Mobile·
    Feedback Score
    I mean have you actually lost any talk time when comparing the amount of charge you had pre and post cupcake, regardless of what the battery indicator claims

Phone
    Nexus1, formerly a G1
    Carrier
    TMO
    Feedback Score
    The 12V mobile adapter may also put out fewer ma than the 120V adapter, which can significantly reduce recharge times (but are actually better for the battery in terms of heat accumulation). If you have a multimeter, you could verify the output of each for comparison.

Phone
    N1 & G2 next up=Samsung Tab
    Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by alphawave7
    The 12V mobile adapter may also put out fewer ma than the 120V adapter, which can significantly reduce recharge times (but are actually better for the battery in terms of heat accumulation). If you have a multimeter, you could verify the output of each for comparison.
    Most folks don't have a multimeter that can measure current draw. Since the G1 can be charged either via an ac charger a cig charger or when connected to the usb port of your pc/laptop, it's correct to assume that the charging rate is going to be managed by the G1 not the charging device. Sure the input voltage and amperage will only differ slightly between the sources and the outputs would be nominally different, so the rate of charge is not affected significantly.

I don't use a cig charger with my G1 since I started using the Seidio 2600mah battery. I charge it overnight and it lasts all day unless I'm using the GPS Status program alot. If the battery goes low I just pop in another extended battery.
    Last edited by unplugged; 06-15-2009 at 08:19 PM. Reason: sp
    Unplugged Since 1999

Phone
    Nexus1, formerly a G1
    Carrier
    TMO
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by unplugged
    Since the G1 can be charged either via an ac charger a cig charger or when connected to the usb port of your pc/laptop, it's correct to assume that the charging rate is going to be managed by the G1 not the charging device. Sure the input voltage and amperage will only differ slightly between the sources and the outputs would be nominally different, so the rate of charge is not affected significantly.
    Regardless of the recharge delta(C) requested by the G1, it is limited by the source to supply it. Example, a 120V to 5V regulated adapter providing 1 Amp will exceed the delta demand by the G1 (say 500mA, as an example), consequently charging the cell faster than an auto 12V to 5V simple switched adapter emitting 350mA, which is less than the demand from the G1 (500mA). This could easily explain OP's recharge time differences, noting the definition:
    An amp is a coulomb of charge per second, a mA is one thousandth of that.

Phone
    G1
    Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    My daughter and I both have been having problems with chargering the phone in the car ever since cupcake.

We both get the as message kind of like "Please plug in charger" on different cars with different charges and different phones. Once in a while it will charge but it was very slow and stops at 20%

Phone
    iPhone 3gs 32GB
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Regardless of the recharge delta(C) requested by the G1, it is limited by the source to supply it. Example, a 120V to 5V regulated adapter providing 1 Amp will exceed the delta demand by the G1 (say 500mA, as an example), consequently charging the cell faster than an auto 12V to 5V simple switched adapter emitting 350mA, which is less than the demand from the G1 (500mA). This could easily explain OP's recharge time differences, noting the definition:
    An amp is a coulomb of charge per second, a mA is one thousandth of that.
    Nice bit of info and I'll elaborate to put it in laymen terms.

Stock G1 battery is rated at 1150mAH and at full charge, the battery voltage is 4.2V. The cutt-off voltage for the phone is 3.5V, once the battery reaches 3.5V, the phone shuts off. Most Li-ion cells can be drained to 3.2V without any problems, Why the G1's cutt-off is 3.5V, I'm not sure, could be because the phone requires minimum 3.5V to operate, who knows.

The power management chip handles all the charging and discharging of the battery.
    I do not have the specs of the chip so I can't tell you how it's programmed, but I do know that the wall charger is supplies 1Amp or 1000mAH. Theoretically, if the G1 power management was letting the battery charge at 1Amp, It would take roughly 1 hour to charge a stock G1 battery from full drain. BUT it doesn't work that way, the phone manages the Charge rate (C) depending on the specifics like temperature, battery condition and the source of power. Heat+li-ion do not mix well.

The home adapter can provide 1Amp or 1000mAH of Current. Which is plenty

Those who are using the car charger, see if it says what the current is. I've seen 325mAH car adapters and I've seen 1000mAH car adapters.

If you have a 325mAH adapter, at it's full supply, it will still take nearly 3 hours or more to charge.

Both sources will put out the same voltage, and that's what you would use to measure with the multimeter. What you are talking about is current. Current is dependent on the specifications of the charger and cannot be measured with a simple multimeter.

The source, either 12V-DC or 120V-AC have really nothing to do with anything. The 12V DC can provide plenty of juice. I use my car battery to run my RC charger that can easily charge at 2-3C

Phone
    Nexus1, formerly a G1
    Carrier
    TMO
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by n19htmare
    Both sources will put out the same voltage, and that's what you would use to measure with the multimeter. What you are talking about is current. Current is dependent on the specifications of the charger and cannot be measured with a simple multimeter.
    This is incorrect, insofar as many multimeters also include an ammeter function, and can measure dc amperage (milliamps, in this case). Even the cheap Velleman's (available from Harbor Freight or Ratshack) do the job:

http://www.kiesub.com/prostores/servlet/Detail?no=877

The source, either 12V-DC or 120V-AC have really nothing to do with anything. The 12V DC can provide plenty of juice. I use my car battery to run my RC charger that can easily charge at 2-3C
    I never said it did. I was simply describing the two adapters that way..I could have simplified it even more by simply saying car charger versus wall charger, but I used the input/output specs instead.