Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Feedback Score

iPhone 3GS Device Pricing

I know there are other threads that discuss this but they're all becoming saturated with irrelevant information, so I thought I'd start a new thread for us to contribute newer information. I know that Fido/Rogers haven't officially announced pricing for the devices without contract but Fido Reps have said the tiers will be:

32GB = $899
    16GB = $799

I know a lot of people (including me) are thinking about signing/canceling a 3 year contract to get the new device but I want to remind everyone that we will be obligated to pay the 1st month's voice and data fee; this rule has been established since the 3G model was released, so the fees would probably be the following:

ECF: $400
    Data ECF: $100
    Device: $199/$299
    1st month Fees: $75+ (approx.)
    Total: Approximately $775 + taxes (16GB)

I guess this is why the device only pricing for the 16GB comes to about $799 + taxes. None of this is official, however, likely?

Carriers
    WIND
    Feedback Score
    What are you talking about this 1st months fees? Unless I'm mistaken, you can terminate your contact at any time, they will tack on the $400-$500 ECF/DECF and your service continues as normal. If you buy a new phone under a new contract, they simply give you the discounted phone and your service remains as it was.

The only time you pay 1st months service is when you're a new customer signing up, but this is true even if you went month to month.

For me personally, I would just buy the new phone without a new contract. That way I'm only really on the hook for another 2 years worth of my contract, rather then paying ECF/DECF and then being on the hook for a new 3 yr term

Phone
    Motorola V600
    Carrier
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    The prices are a rip off, with the quantity they order prices should be lower. It should be regulated that cell phone companies provide their real prices along with scrutinizing their contractual business ethics.

With that said, consider the fact that next year this time you'll probably see a new model that's a real upgrade compared to the few enhancements they are offering in this version. When you consider that, sure it's nice to have but most are better off waiting for the "real" upgrade. The 3GS doesn't offer enough to justify the cost.

Personally I'm waiting not just for the next major release but also to see what offerings Palm will have in their PRE line and to check out Windows Mobile 7. I like the iPhone but it's just too limiting even with the OS3. Sure they have an app for everything, which is good because you need 7 #$@$! apps to complete one task!
    Last edited by shoey5; 06-15-2009 at 01:20 PM.

Carrier
    Bell
    Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by xero9
    What are you talking about this 1st months fees? Unless I'm mistaken, you can terminate your contact at any time, they will tack on the $400-$500 ECF/DECF and your service continues as normal. If you buy a new phone under a new contract, they simply give you the discounted phone and your service remains as it was.

The only time you pay 1st months service is when you're a new customer signing up, but this is true even if you went month to month.

For me personally, I would just buy the new phone without a new contract. That way I'm only really on the hook for another 2 years worth of my contract, rather then paying ECF/DECF and then being on the hook for a new 3 yr term
    When canceling a line, new customer or not, Rogers requires a one month notice. So technically it is about two months worth of fees.

This calculation of yours does not include the actual device with only a cheap price plan.....

But then again, it is only speculation til we see the actual prices... The 799/899 price tags seem a bit too much though.... But we'll see.

Phones
    Unlocked Rogers Blackberry Q10 | LG Nexus-4 | Samsung Nexus-S
    Rogers SonyEricsson c510 (unlocked)
    Fido iPhone 3GS 32GB (unlocked)
    Carrier
    Fido | Rogers | Red Pocket Mobile | T-Mobile Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    In my opinion, anything over $600 (8GB), $700 (16GB), & $800 (32GB) excluding taxes is an insult to consumers. This is not to say that I hope that these are the prices... I am just saying that this is the maximum that the prices should be and even then, it would be quite high.
    Fido (monthly plan - personal/data): Novatel Wireless MC950D or Nokia CS-18

Rogers (pay as you go - Canadian prepaid): "Fido" LG Nexus-4

Rogers (monthly BIS data plan): Blackberry Q10

Lycamobile (US prepaid): Sony-Ericsson c510 or Sony-Ericsson w300i

T-Mobile (US prepaid): unlocked Fido iPhone 3GS 32GB or "Fido" Samsung Nexus-S

My Tech Blog

Phone
    Nexus S
    Carrier
    WIND
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by lmcjipo
    In my opinion, anything over $600 (8GB), $700 (16GB), & $800 (32GB) excluding taxes is an insult to consumers. This is not to say that I hope that these are the prices... I am just saying that this is the maximum that the prices should be and even then, it would be quite high.
    Considering AT&T has announced that no-contract pricing will be 499/599/699 even those numbers are a bit high, but not unexpected from Rogers

Phone
    Motorola V600
    Carrier
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lmcjipo
    Price should be what it should be. I don't mind $800, I've paid that much for a phone in the past but what it should be is the actual price of the unit, not some inflated price to get people to sign up for contracts as the carriers so commonly do.

Phones
    iPhone 3GS - 32GB
    iPhone 3G - 16GB
    iPhone Original - 8GB
    Carrier
    City Fido
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for the info. But isn't data plan not required for getting an iPhone 3GS??

Phones
    Bold 9900
    HTC Snap
    Carrier
    Virgin Mobile, Mobilicity
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by profets
    Considering AT&T has announced that no-contract pricing will be 499/599/699 even those numbers are a bit high, but not unexpected from Rogers
    i am pretty sure the prices will be the same as AT&T. Remember we are dealing with aapl here. They like to control pricing.

And, 700/800 for the 3GS is too high a price point. At $600 for the 16gb 3GS, they are at the same price point as the Magic/Dream and only slightly more than the Pre. Also, $600 is the range for new Blackberry phones too.

Don't think Rogers will set the price higher than $600. That's like when Apple tried to sell the 1st iphone for 599 and it flopped... if Rogers sells it for $699/$799, it will flop and aapl will give them crap for it.

Phone
    Nexus S
    Carrier
    WIND
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mech9t5
    i am pretty sure the prices will be the same as AT&T. Remember we are dealing with aapl here. They like to control pricing.

And, 700/800 for the 3GS is too high a price point. At $600 for the 16gb 3GS, they are at the same price point as the Magic/Dream and only slightly more than the Pre. Also, $600 is the range for new Blackberry phones too.

Don't think Rogers will set the price higher than $600. That's like when Apple tried to sell the 1st iphone for 599 and it flopped... if Rogers sells it for $699/$799, it will flop and aapl will give them crap for it.
    thats true, can't forget about the Apple influence.

interesting though how other apple products have prices higher to reflect cdn-usd dollar, but they havent done that with the iphone

Feedback Score

Hopefully prices are at least in line with AT&T's price tiers but don't forget that Apple likes to charge a premium to CDN customers because of our dollar. Also, I guess it's not Fido or Rogers' fault for the device prices because Apple is charging the carriers a lot to subsidize the prices of the phones as well...right?

Phone
    iPhone 3G
    Carrier
    Fido/Rogers
    Feedback Score
    What's the point of selling an iPhone outright without contract and still locking the phone to the network, if I'm paying full price for a phone I would want it unlocked because I decided to sell you my arm & leg.

Phone
    Nexus 5
    Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

With the 3G release, CAD and USD were pretty much at par. We're a little below $0.90 USD now. Apple regulated the cost in USD, and probably told carriers they had to be within a certain range, but I could see Rogers adding $100 to each unsubsidized price to make up for the currency difference.

Phone
    Nexus S
    Carrier
    Wind Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Not sure how genuine these photos are but apparently the prices quoted by people saying 699.99 and 799.99 are right... I guess i'm gonna update next year instead.

http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2009/...g-revealed-eh/

Carriers
    WIND
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by FALCO
    When canceling a line, new customer or not, Rogers requires a one month notice. So technically it is about two months worth of fees.
    Can you not cancel a contract with Rogers without cancelling the line?

On Fido, I terminated the contract on my wife's line before the end of the contract but left the line active.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast