Thread: Wal-Mart and phone warranty

Phones
    LG VX-8550
    LG VX-8100 (Backup, loved it)
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Wal-Mart and phone warranty

Is there a difference in how Wal-Mart and Verizon handle warranty replacements? I was just at Wal-Mart looking to upgrade to a Dare, and I asked what happens if the screen stops working after a few months. She said I'd have to go through LG for a warranty replacement. If I were to buy from a Verizon store, would this be handled the same way, or would they determine my phone needs to be replaced and give me a new one on the spot? I can save $45 by buying my phone at Wal-Mart, but this warranty thing has me worried.

Phone
    Iphone 4
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Does Walmart offer an extended warranty by chance? I know with Best Buy if you buy a phone and have the extended warranty you just walk into the store and they give you a new phone, no questions asked.

Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    You should be able to go through Verizon for a warranty replacement. I can not think of a single reason why not.
    No longer a VZW employee, but still a good information source.
    -------------------------------------------------------
    CanAM:
    With all that money you save monthly with your Sprint plan, you should be able to order Hooked On Phonics - remember, the phone number to order this is 1-800-ABCDEFG.

Phones
    MOT Droid Mini,
    Home Phone Connect,
    MOT Droid 3,
    Carriers
    Verizon Wireless, Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Does VZW and Walmart have some sort of agreement where Walmart handles the warranty service for the phones it sells (for less)?

Phones
    LG VX-8550
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Well the rep at Wal-Mart was trying to tell me I'd have to go through the manufacturer for warranty service... but I wonder if he was just speaking in generic terms, like if he was selling me a TV or something.

Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ChingoChee
    Well the rep at Wal-Mart was trying to tell me I'd have to go through the manufacturer for warranty service... but I wonder if he was just speaking in generic terms, like if he was selling me a TV or something.
    The rep at Walmart, in all likelihood, sells everything from cellphones to underwear to fishing rods. Expect generic answers to specific questions.

Phones
    Moto Droid
    Moto Droid
    Carrier
    VZW
    Feedback Score
    you can take it to a Corp. store, they will honor the warranty trust me.

Feedback Score
    The warranty is always through the manufacturer (in case of LG Dare that would be LG), however, VZW provides a service where they will deal with the manufacturer themselves when it comes to warranty so that you don't have to, which is why as long as you actually have a VZW phone that you bought from VZW or an authorized retailer (like Wal-Mart) you can simply contact VZW (go into a coporate store or call VZW) and deal with warranty though them.

Phones
    LG VX-8550
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Sounds good guys, thanks.

Feedback Score
    Actually I believe Verizon will not honor the warrany if the phones are bought from Wal-Mart. You'd have to go through the manufacturer. Verizon only honors the warranty on phones purshased from them or purchased from their agents if the agents got their equipment from Verizon, Brightpoint, or Brightstar. I believe Wal-Mart buys their phones directly from the manufacturers and that's how they get cheaper pricing, but then requires you deal with the manufacturer for warranty.

Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by vzwinagent
    Actually I believe Verizon will not honor the warrany if the phones are bought from Wal-Mart. You'd have to go through the manufacturer. Verizon only honors the warranty on phones purshased from them or purchased from their agents if the agents got their equipment from Verizon, Brightpoint, or Brightstar. I believe Wal-Mart buys their phones directly from the manufacturers and that's how they get cheaper pricing, but then requires you deal with the manufacturer for warranty.
    I also thought this to be the case, but I didn't respond because i wasn't sure. AFAIK, VZW, Brigthtpoint, and Brightstar are the only VZW-authorized wholesale phone outlets from which dealers/agents/retailers can get phones that qualify for a VZW-warranty. I don't know how Walmart works as I've never worked there, but I'd venture to guess your suspicions may be well founded. When a goliath like Walmart approaches LG and says they'll buy 3-million Dares at a discounted price, of course they can offer discount pricing, but if the SKU is different than those authorized by VZW for a warranty, then exchange may be a problem worth avoiding.

Phones
    Casio
    Casio Brigade
    Casio Exilim
    Carriers
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    We got my wife’s KRZR from Wal-Mart. She had a problem with the phone, took it in to a VZW corp store, and they replaced under warranty without a problem. One of her friend got an Env2 from Wal-Mart. The inside screen went out and the corp store replaced it not a problem.

Feedback Score
    Wal-Mart is pretty much an authorized retailer, like Costco, and various other stores, so everything should be honored.

Carriers
    T-Mobile $30 Prepaid, what a bargain.
    Feedback Score
    ....if the agents got their equipment from Verizon, Brightpoint, or Brightstar. I believe Wal-Mart buys their phones directly from the manufacturers and that's how they get cheaper pricing
    All of our Verizon phones are shipped from Brightstar. That's not to say there isn't some kind of deal between Bentonville and the manufacturer for a volume discount. The few times we have received a VZW owned phone from our rep for a demo, the box has been identical to our retail stock. I'm not sure who the fulfillment houses for the other carriers in my store are, but we often get phones from different manufacturers in the same shipment.

The only phone that is different is the iPhone, which comes through our warehouse like iPods. All other postpaid phones are shipped directly to the store via UPS/Fedex.