Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: My LG Xenon (GR500) Review

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

My LG Xenon (GR500) Review

I've had the LG Xenon now for a good 2 weeks and wanted to comment on it's performance and features.

Quick Specs
    *Dual band HSPA 1900 / 850 (3.6)
    *Quadband GSM 1900 / 1800 / 900 / 850
    *2.8" Brilliant 260k Colour screen @ 240 x 400 resolution
    *up to 80 meg internal memory
    *2.0 Mpix camera
    *bluetooth 2.0 supporting HSP,HFP,A2DP,GAVDP,AVRCP,DUN,GAP,SPP,FTP,BPP,OPP

Reception
    Dualband HSPA, Quadband EDGE. There is no shortage of cellular connection on this device. In my daily travels and tests the Xenon didn't fail me. I used it all over the GTA in my daily travels as well as the good old drive test* and it performed admirably

*The drive by test is:
    Yonge and 16th, east on 16th to woodbine. North on woodbine to 19th. West on 19th to Yonge. North on Yonge to Bloomington. East on bloomington to Bayview. South on bayview to Stouffville sideroad. East on Stoufville sideroad to Leslie and Leslie back to the Hill

Sound Quality
    incoming
    The Xenon is plenty loud for my needs. So much so I rarely had it maxed, which is a good thing for those times you need to put it higher volume if you're in a noisy enviroment. I usually had it ar 3 or 4 of 7. It was pretty neutral sounding in my opinion. Perfect treble and bass and not to tinny

outgoing
    The Outgoing quality is average.
    it's not horible but my callers say they've heard better. In noisier enviroments they could still hear what i was saying but a bit of the background noise crept into the conversation there

speakerphone
    The Speakerphone is there for the sake of being there which is on par for the course these days. You'd only really be able to use this in a quiet room or enviroment and even then I was finding that i usually just gave up and picked up the handset. Then again there aren't many phones that have a speakerphone that you'd use in a noisy enviroment anyway so it's a bit of 6 of this and half dozen of the other.

Connectivity
    Sync
    The Xenon includes a USB cable which also doubles as the charger in the box as well as all necessary software and hardware to sync up with your pc.

the PCSuite install was pretty straightforward and was pretty easy to use. It also provides Media management etc.

Oddly enough though, I had an issue with the Sync. The same issue I believe I had on the TU500. It'll sync with outlook and get all the information but it never grabs the last name. As a result my phonebook had a first name only contact list, which can prove to be trying when you have 4 angela's, 3 Frank's and so on.

I wasn't able to rectify this issue to be honest and didn't spend much time on the issue so perhaps Xenon users can chime in here for the review.

Bluetooth
    All the supported Protocol's are there so you'll be able to use A2DP Stereo BT as well as connect to the PCSuite.

External memory
    The Xenon features a MicroSD Card slod conveniently located on the side of the unit so you don't have to go pulling the battery out to access the card.

Aesthetics
    The Xenon is a very professional looking QWERTY phone. From it's nice blacks to the chrome trim ring it's definately the best looking of the QWERTY sms phones IHMO

Keypad
    The Keypad is one of the main features of the phone. Clearly as it's a QWERTY. The keys are nicely spaced and the keys are quite spaced out. The Keyboard is wide and fairly easy to use. it took some adjusting to coming off a bold but i liked it.

The Keypad is also fully illuminated for those late night chat fests

ALSO, being that the Xenon is a touch screen you can also SMS via T9 on the front panel when closed. I found this to be a nice touch when you just wanna 1 handed SMS and are to lazy to thumb the message out.

Being that the phone is a touch screen you also have quite a few customizable menu options like your favorite contacts, and favorite portals

Out of the box in the favorites list has a lot of the branded rogers services as well as Google, Yahoo Search and Facebook

The menu's pop in and out animtated style and are pretty easy to navigate and use

OS
    The OS of the Xenon is actually quite easy to use and it multitasks!
    inbetween the send and end keys there is the task key

using this key you can task back and froth betwen your open apps like browser, messaging etc etc.

you can also Kill all the running apps by touching end all. Makes it very easy to close everyting down

Battery Life
    The Battery life on the Xenon was good. I easly got a day out of it in my moderatre useage of surfing and SMS'n.

Being a 3G phone though, if you're into the Vision services you can expect to get substantially less battery life then I've described as a result of useage

MISC

3G Vision
    The Xenon is actually compatible with all the Vision services, but it doesnt' require the Vision add on! THANK GOD! so you get the phone if you just want it as a phone, and can add on the Vision surfing packages if you want them

PRO's
    *Clean looking phone
    *Vision capable HSPA with Front cam that doesn't require a Vision add on
    *Dual band HSPA
    *Quadband GSM
    *gorgeous full touch screen
    *Nice QWERTY Keyboard for easy messaging / browsing
    *Backlit keyboard
    *Multitasking OS

CON's
    *Speakerphone not very useable
    *Sync with Outlook still not getting last names
    *Keyboard may be to wide for some
    *no additional discount if you do take a vision package

Closing thoughts
    In closing I throughly enjoyed this phone. Finally the qwerty devices have come, and with unlimited* sms packages to use them on. Gone are the days of 2500 sms and being told "that's enough" for you and suck it up

in my opinion if you're shopping for a Qwerty phone, this is the class leader and worth the $50.00 in price ($79.99 vs $29.99 at time of writing compared to other QWERTY models) the 3G and full touch screen on the device as well as quadband GSM make this phone the winner of it's class

*actually really unlimited.. HAHA got ya!

Device(s)
    iHuck
    Carrier(s)
    Cantel AT&T
    Feedback Score
    nice review.....

what about the build quality?

Hit me for feedback !!!

I carry a lighter in my back pocket. I'm not a smoker, I just really like certain songs......

Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Great review, wifey has been considering this as opposed to an Iphone, since she's on the fence about data (yes, I know, you can block data, etc etc).

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.266 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/107)

Quote Originally Posted by huck-guai
    nice review.....

what about the build quality?
    I found build quality decent for a phone of its pricing.
    The slide feels like it'll handle quite a few opens closes sans issue

Feedback Score
    Wow great review!! thanx alot, i'm tryin' to look for a new phone..it's either this or the iphone ^^

I was wondering if u could tell me if there is GPS on this phone...I know in the States, they have AT&T Gps/map, but I donno if there is Google Map/gps offered by Rogers.

Thanx alot!! ^^

Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for the great review! I have a question about this phone...

Is it possible to change the APN settings on this phone?
    Particularly, is it possible to change the APN to goam.com for Java apps. The reason I ask is that the stock APN settings are essentially locked out in Lg Vu and all Java app data usage goes through internet.com hence chargeable under the unlimited on-device browsing plan.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GRC_Mantel
    Thanks for the great review! I have a question about this phone...

Is it possible to change the APN settings on this phone?
    Particularly, is it possible to change the APN to goam.com for Java apps. The reason I ask is that the stock APN settings are essentially locked out in Lg Vu and all Java app data usage goes through internet.com hence chargeable under the unlimited on-device browsing plan.
    i can set the applications permissions:

ie:
    network access
    Low level network access
    Local connectivity
    Messaging

but i can't seem to find a place to change the APN's

don't quote me but it's my belief that with the $10.00 ul browing option which now includes all apps theyve granted access to internet.com hence the ability to use "all apps" on the phone now

Device(s)
    Samsung Captivate, HTC Magic+
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Treatz
    i can set the applications permissions:

ie:
    network access
    Low level network access
    Local connectivity
    Messaging

don't quote me but it's my belief that with the $10.00 ul browing option which now includes all apps theyve granted access to internet.com hence the ability to use "all apps" on the phone now
    I would really like to know what's now included with the $10 browser. I was thinking of getting my roommate the Xenon. They have the Vu, but would like a kb and more ability to customize. And would like to use opera if possible.

Device(s)
    LG Dare
    Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    is there a way to put ringtones onto the xenon?
    --[Arcane86]--

"karma its the only thing to believe in, but it does take its time, it waits. like batman. he waits"
    - from the thought process of my brain lol

Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by arcane86
    is there a way to put ringtones onto the xenon?
    If it's anything like the Vu, place them on the memory card and keep them under 300kb.

You can change the message tones, but it's a bit more complicated.

Device(s)
    LG Xenon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Treatz
    i

I'm in the process of getting a Xenon and I'm also interested in finding an answer to what exactly is included in the $10 plan. I haven't heard of anyone that is able to use internet.com for anything with this plan, but I hope so.

If not, I'm wondering if blocking internet.com through Rogers will severely limit what I'm able to do with this phone.

Does anyone know if its easy to figure out what APN you are using at any given time (like the log on the N95)? Or if it's possible to change the APN on certain apps? (sounds like no according to Treatz's review ... bummer)

Any more info from Xenon users (especially those with the UL mobile browswe plan) would be great.

Device(s)
    Samsung S307
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    I am having an issue with the Rogers IM app built into the phone and not being able to see my online contacts using windows live messenger. It will show offline contacts but never the online contacts. Also, when trying to refresh the contact list it says "unable to connect to server" always. I have also tried this with someone elses Xenon and it does the same thing.

Anyone else experiancing this problem and any ways to fix it?

Thanks

Feedback Score

photos

Does anyone know how to transfer photos from this phone to your computer?

Feedback Score

Outlook sync

I have been trying to sync my LG Xenon with outlook and have been utterly unsuccessful?

Answer me this...what version of LG PC Suite are you using?
    do you have a micro SD card installed?
    What USB Connectivity setting are you using?

Does it sync your calendar as well as contacts.

Thanks for the information.

Device(s)
    BB 9700
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jmac35
    I'm in the process of getting a Xenon and I'm also interested in finding an answer to what exactly is included in the $10 plan. I haven't heard of anyone that is able to use internet.com for anything with this plan, but I hope so.

If not, I'm wondering if blocking internet.com through Rogers will severely limit what I'm able to do with this phone.
    Anyone know?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast