Thread: Help: Caller ID Block for 800 numbers

Feedback Score

Help: Caller ID Block for 800 numbers

Hello,

I have been struggling with this for a while and hope someone might be able to help.

Is there something called call id block for 800 numbers for outgoing calls??

The reason I am asking this is because, I use a third party calling service to make long distance overseas calls. And everytime I dial their tool free number from my cell I have to enter a long pin as their system cannot recognize my number. When I called them they said that my call id is blocked that why their system is not able to recognize my number, I have the same problem with 2 different providers, but do not have any problems when dialing from my land line.

Both the third party providers asked me to call Fido and ask them to unblock the call id for 800 numbers, but when I called Fido, the rep had no clue what I was talking about. I have spoken to 3 different reps and none of them could understand what I was asking for.

Any thoughts/suggestions woul dbe appretiated.

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by oyeeeee; 06-23-2009 at 07:54 PM.

Phones
    Unlocked Rogers Blackberry Q10 | LG Nexus-4 | Samsung Nexus-S
    Rogers SonyEricsson c510 (unlocked)
    Fido iPhone 3GS 32GB (unlocked)
    Carrier
    Fido | Rogers Prepaid | LycaMobile US | Bell | T-Mobile Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by oyeeeee
    Hello,

I have been struggling with this for a while and hope someone might be able to help.

Is there something called call id block for 800 numbers for outgoing calls??

The reason I am asking this is because, I use a third party calling service to make long distance overseas calls. And everytime I dial their tool free number from my cell I have to enter a long pin as their system cannot recognize my number. When I called them they said that my call id is blocked that why their system is not able to recognize my number, I have the same problem with 2 different providers, but do not have any problems when dialing from my land line.

Both the third party providers asked me to call Fido and ask them to unblock the call id for 800 numbers, but when I called Fido, the rep had no clue what I was talking about. I have spoken to 3 different reps and none of them could understand what I was asking for.

Any thoughts/suggestions woul dbe appretiated.

Thanks in advance
    There is no caller ID block for 800 (toll free numbers).

I've authenticated/activated my credit card using my Fido phone when I had a Fido voice plan and it was my "home phone". The automated credit card system for my bank was able to determine that I was calling from the number identified as being my "home number" (which was my Fido number). When I called from my Fido number, it asked me for the credit card number and I think that it asked me for some personal information like to key in my year of birth. The system then replied with something like "Since you are calling from your home phone number, your credit card is now activated".

Another thing is that you can't block your number from being displayed when you call a toll free number if the person subscribes to call display. Since the company is paying to receive your call, they also receive your phone number if you decide/attempt to block it.

The only thing that I can say is "Call Display" is not perfect. There have been times when I've called myself from an unblocked number and the phone number displayed on my phone would be similar to if I didn't subscribe to call display.
    Fido (monthly plan - personal/data): Novatel Wireless MC950D or Nokia CS-18

Fido (monthly): ZTE WF720 Wireless Home Phone

Rogers (pay as you go - Canadian prepaid): "Fido" Samsung Nexus-S

Rogers (monthly BIS data plan): Blackberry Q10 <- CANCELLED over Dispute

Lycamobile (US prepaid): Sony-Ericsson c510 or Sony-Ericsson w300i

T-Mobile (US prepaid): unlocked Fido iPhone 3GS 32GB or LG Nexus-4

Bell (tablet plan): LG Nexus-4

My Tech Blog

Phone
    Galaxy SIII, iPhone 4s Black 64GB (wife's phone)
    Carrier
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I have a toll free number myself and every Fido or Rogers phone calling my number show up fine...

did you make sure that your phone is configured to send your callerid?

Phones
    iPhone 3GS
    iPhone 3GS
    Carrier
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    > Is there something called call id block for 800 numbers for outgoing calls?
    There are two separate systems. Calling a normal phone number uses Caller ID, which you can disable. (800) numbers get ANI (Automatic Number Identification) which you cannot disable. Fido may have your ANI configured incorrectly. See if you can get hold of somebody at Fido who knows the difference between Caller ID and ANI.

Carriers
    Fido, B-Mobile(Japan), Maxis, China Mobile HK,One2Free
    Bouygues, Vodafone Japan, TIM
    Feedback Score
    This has been discussed before. Something to do with the Fido exchange using its own number instead of that of your cell phone. Or the combination of that and the provider of the 1-800 number service.

I use DCall for long distance and have the same problem. If I call the 1-800 access number it won't identify me. This could be in Toronto, Montreal or anywhere. If I call the local access number it will. But at least with them I can still enter the PIN and use the cheaper access number which is supposedly for registered phone numbers identified by call display.

Phones
    Unlocked Rogers Blackberry Q10 | LG Nexus-4 | Samsung Nexus-S
    Rogers SonyEricsson c510 (unlocked)
    Fido iPhone 3GS 32GB (unlocked)
    Carrier
    Fido | Rogers Prepaid | LycaMobile US | Bell | T-Mobile Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm943
    There are two separate systems. Calling a normal phone number uses Caller ID, which you can disable. (800) numbers get ANI (Automatic Number Identification) which you cannot disable. Fido may have your ANI configured incorrectly. See if you can get hold of somebody at Fido who knows the difference between Caller ID and ANI.
    Thanks for the technical information. It was very informative.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm943
    Thanks Malcolm943. The information you provided was great, but sadly the rep I spoke to again had no clue what I was talking about, I think I confused him even more when I started talking about Caller ID and ANI . Gonna try again after a while or just might call customer relations, hopefully they may be able to look into it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ESTO
    This has been discussed before. Something to do with the Fido exchange using its own number instead of that of your cell phone. Or the combination of that and the provider of the 1-800 number service.

I use DCall for long distance and have the same problem. If I call the 1-800 access number it won't identify me. This could be in Toronto, Montreal or anywhere. If I call the local access number it will. But at least with them I can still enter the PIN and use the cheaper access number which is supposedly for registered phone numbers identified by call display.

Exactly the same problem I am having.

Phone
    Nokia N8-00
    Carrier
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ESTO
    I used to encounter this problem at my last workplace. We had literally hundreds of toll free DIDs through various providers all terminating at our data centres in the US. What I found was that an incorrect ANI would often be presented when calling a (US-based) particular provider's toll free DID from a Canadian phone, regardless of the originating carrier. I don't believe anyone bothered to report it to the provider (since it wasn't service impacting and could easily be worked around), so I don't have an explanation of why this occurred.

Edit: Removed name of carrier