Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Battery overheating?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    12
    Phone
    EnV Touch
    Feedback Score
    0

    Battery overheating?

    This morning when I got up, my touch was abnormally hot. When i unplugged it, I got a message for a split second, and then my phone turned off (not sudddenly. it went through the verizon wireless animation while shutting down). I let my phone cool off, and turned it on again. And a message came up saying: "Your phone was turned off to prevent overheating". I'm a bit worried because my phone only shut off when I unplugged it (coincidence maybe?). Has anyone else had this problem and/or does somebody know how to resolve or avoid this problem?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    170
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    Did you leave your phone charging over night? I noticed that whenever I charge my phone, it gets hot. but i only charge it in the day when im awake.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    129
    Phone
    EnV tOuCh
    Feedback Score
    0
    Maybe you shouldn't leave it plugged in all night?

    There may be no auto charge cutoff in these things in which case it is possible to overcharge the battery resulting in a fire or explosion (can't remember which LiIo batts do and which LiPo batts do).

    Does anyone know definitively if the Touch or any LG phone has an actual cutoff feature that automatically interupts the charging circuit when full charge has been reached? And I'm not just talking about the "shutoff the phone when the battery overheats" thing. Shutting off the phone does not end the charge.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    807
    Phones
    iphone-5 32gb
    Wife: iphone 5 16 gb
    Kid-1 iphone 4s 64 gb <> Kid-2 Razr M
    Carrier
    Verizon since it was Airtouch, Yeah I'm old!
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Day
    This morning when I got up, my touch was abnormally hot. When i unplugged it, I got a message for a split second, and then my phone turned off (not sudddenly. it went through the verizon wireless animation while shutting down). I let my phone cool off, and turned it on again. And a message came up saying: "Your phone was turned off to prevent overheating". I'm a bit worried because my phone only shut off when I unplugged it (coincidence maybe?). Has anyone else had this problem and/or does somebody know how to resolve or avoid this problem?
    I found that if you charge the phone while it is turned off it doesn't seem to heat up nearly as bad..
    It's not the post count..it's how the post counts!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    147
    Phone
    EnV Touch
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnlvr
    Maybe you shouldn't leave it plugged in all night?

    There may be no auto charge cutoff in these things in which case it is possible to overcharge the battery resulting in a fire or explosion (can't remember which LiIo batts do and which LiPo batts do).

    Does anyone know definitively if the Touch or any LG phone has an actual cutoff feature that automatically interupts the charging circuit when full charge has been reached? And I'm not just talking about the "shutoff the phone when the battery overheats" thing. Shutting off the phone does not end the charge.
    I'm sure it does, all lithium ion chargers have to shut off when full because li-ion cannot tolerate any overcharge. It is a explosion danger if it didn't.

    I leave mine plugged in overnight with no ill effects, it isn't hot off the charger since it's stopped charging for a while by the time I get it. If the phone was actively in use, maybe doing something in the background while also charging, that might be an activity that gets the phone hotter than usual.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    28
    Feedback Score
    0
    I've had this same problem of overheating. I was charging it overnight. Couple days later the phone, after being fully charged, turned off by itself and I couldn't turn it back on again. I had to recharge it again to make it full bars. My girlfriend charges the same phone overnight also, but has not had this problem. I ended up exchanging the battery over the weekend, and so far I haven't had any problems with over heating or losing the entire charge in 5 minutes.

    On another note, maybe battery related, my phone has turned itself off then back on right away...has anyone had similar issues?

Bookmarks