Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Think I bought a stolen/lost phone. Help!

Feedback Score

Unhappy Think I bought a stolen/lost phone. Help!

Hello,
    Yesterday I bought a phone off of this kid I somewhat know and it was one of those things when he got it from another kid.
    I went online to verizon wireless's phone activation and tried to enter the esn/meid just to see if it was stolen or not. So it I end up getting a fishy message from verizon that in other words says its stolen/lost. Here is what the message consists of:

"The phone associated with the ESN/MEID you entered cannot be activated at this time. Please contact Customer Service at 800-922-0204 for assistance."

So I was pretty damn mad. I went to grab my really really old phone to look at its esn/meid and I entered it on verizon and it processed it fine.

- So my guess is its stolen/lost. Am I right?
    - Will the esn/meid ever get unblocked? So that I can activate it.
    - I wasn't as pissed when I started to look on ebay and saw that the phone with a bad esn was selling for a bit more than what I bought it for. So could I sell it no problems on ebay you think?

Thank you all for your time!

Phone
    VU204-E815
    Carriers
    Verizon (sigh!)
    Feedback Score
    call verizon to make sure that it will not activate. sometimes the online esn changer fails, especially if some features need to be added to or removed from your plan. make sure you tell them the online changer failed, so they do not charge you $20.00. it is possible the phone is ok, but they will tell you for sure what the problem is.

where's the spellchecker?
    The new way to nano~surf

Phones
    Moto Droid (Me)
    Alias 2 (wife)
    Boulder (son)
    Carriers
    Verizon (since 2006);
    Feedback Score
    More than likely it was either on the Lost/Stolen list or was put on the list due to non-pay on the account it was purchased on. Your next step is to try to get your money back - threat of calling cops sometimes works.
    I am no longer an employee of VZW, I left on good terms and still think VZW is the best network in the U.S. and most helpful CSR's in any industry.

God Bless our U.S. Military.

Phones
    MOT Droid Mini,
    Home Phone Connect,
    MOT Droid 3,
    Carriers
    Verizon Wireless, Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Or it could be still active on another account, no?

Phone
    Samsung a670
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Or it could be from an account that someone never paid the bill on....ask me how I know.

Feedback Score
    depending on what kinda phone it is, and what kind of phone you had before. your plan may need to be changed to activate the new phone. If you were on an americas choice plan, but the new phone is a premium device that requires you to switch to a nationwide plan. I would just call customer service and see what they say.

Feedback Score
    Wow thanks for all the posts!
    Its a titanium voyager. I have a glyde as of now.
    If I do call up verizon though will they be like "you must give that phone back right now"?

Thanks everyone

Feedback Score
    sounds like it's stolen, I would contact verizon and see if there's anything they can do.

Carrier
    T-mobile
    Feedback Score
    You could call Verizon and find out what the phone's status is. If it's a phone that's been reported stolen, you could drop it off at a store (if Verizon told you to do so) but not before getting your money back from the kid who sold it to you.

If it's just an account with unpaid bills, then just return it to the kid and get your money back. What's the point of selling it on eBay when you know the phone is not functional?

Feedback Score
    Well I can just sell it on ebay as a "bad esn" check it out. I just typed in bad esn voyager.
    People buy them.

Carrier
    T-mobile
    Feedback Score
    Ahh, yes. That's right. They do have some use - spare/replacement parts.

Phones
    LG Dare
    LG Voyager
    LG VX9400
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    They won't yell at you to send a stolen phone back but I don't see why you wouldn't try to get it back to the original owner after you got your money back from the kid. Anyway I would try calling them just to see why it won't activate correctly. As was mentioned earlier make sure you mention that you tried online and it didn't work.

Phones
    Razr V3c
    Motorola Q9m (WM 6.1 w/ Spectec wifi)
    LG Dare -> Pretty cool for my first touchscreen phone =)
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    well i just bought a used dare, great condition from a person i know. tried activating it online and got the same exact message. i thought it was stolen as well. i went to the corporate store and was told it would not activate because I was still on the Americas Choice Plan (discontinued) so i just switched it to nationwide and no problems activating.... maybe that could be it. the newer phones need to be on nationwide. cause of the browser changes

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BIGEE1212
    well i just bought a used dare, great condition from a person i know. tried activating it online and got the same exact message. i thought it was stolen as well. i went to the corporate store and was told it would not activate because I was still on the Americas Choice Plan (discontinued) so i just switched it to nationwide and no problems activating.... maybe that could be it. the newer phones need to be on nationwide. cause of the browser changes
    I get you but I dont think thats the problem cause I got the glyde and I believe that it has to be on the nationwide plan.

Phone
    Samsung SCH-I760
    Feedback Score
    So you are afraid to call verizon to ask if it was stolen or lost, but you are willing to sell it on ebay. Just call them. If it is lost or stolen, they are not going to come after you, but instead will tell you what you need to do. 2 wrongs don't make a right by selling it online if it is lost or stolen. Grow a backbone and call them.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast