Thread: 1X to EVDO upgrade

Carrier
    Bell
    Feedback Score

1X to EVDO upgrade

Is Bell still upgrading places with 1X to EVDO or are they focusing on getting HSPA set up now? I'm looking into the Palm Pre (and I'm liking what I see, especially coming from a current LG chocolate user) but it seems pointless to get one when you're going to be spending 75% of your time in an area with no EVDO (extremely rural ~2500 people, not sure how many would have cell phones). If the Palm is online all the time with different apps and IM and such, I wouldn't be able to make phone calls and the internet would be really slow regardless.

Is there a way to see which areas are being upgraded to their '3G network' or to suggest an area? In Newfoundland, EVDO seems to only be available in the major towns - Corner Brook, Grand Falls-Windsor, Gander, Clarenville, St. John's, and there still are loads of places bigger and probably with a denser population than where I'll be, so I'm not getting my hopes up...

Phones
    Apple iPhone 5 64gb
    Blackberry Pearl 8130, Blackberry 7250
    Motorola Timeport p8767, Nokia 6185
    Carrier
    Bell Mobility
    Feedback Score
    It's entirely possible that they'll leap-frog those areas and put in HSPA, since it will be a UMTS/hSPA combined network - you might be better off waiting this device out - and waiting for the HSPA network to turn up over there...

They may have costing issue adding to your area with EVDO... but the new network will roll out both new voice and new data services at the same time.
    Cheeri'o...
    Frankie...

Please Note: I do not work for Bell. I also do not work for any wireless retail outlet.
    Do not ask me about promotions or offers from wireless providers.

Carrier
    Bell
    Feedback Score
    I'm sick of the POS that is the LG Chocolate so I'm switching for a Samsung Vice for the time being. It looks like a better phone - I don't really need anything too expensive at the moment since I can't take advantage of the internet much anyway with 1X connectivity but at least it has a QWERTY keyboard for texting.

Also, I remember reading something on here on being able to check the total talk time and usage of your phone, it was a code that you dialed, started with either * or # but I can't remember it. When you typed it in, some technical details came up and then the total usage of that phone. Does anyone know what it is (for the chocolate on Bell)?

Carrier
    Bell HSPA
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    ##786. It works on most phones. Maybe for the Chocolate as well. It worked on the TELUS Chocolate Flip.

Phones
    Apple iPhone 5 64gb
    Blackberry Pearl 8130, Blackberry 7250
    Motorola Timeport p8767, Nokia 6185
    Carrier
    Bell Mobility
    Feedback Score
    I'm surprised you stuck with the LG Chocolate so long. That was a terrible phone... right up there with the Audiovox CDM-8XXX series...

Carrier
    Bell
    Feedback Score
    Doesn't work.

Carrier
    Bell HSPA
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Try adding another # sign to the end. ##786#

Phones
    iPhone 5
    iPhone 5S
    Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    Where in NL are you going to be?

Carrier
    Bell
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewNL
    Where in NL are you going to be?
    In Central...

I went to The Source and picked up a Samsung Vice. That phone has the worst interface I have ever seen. The Samsung interface is better than the Bell interface, but both are horrible. Honestly, I'd rather keep the chocolate.

Took it back, returned it - dealer specified it as "Buyers Remorse", got a LG Rumor 2. I told myself I'd never get another LG phone after the uneventful experience of owning a LG Chocolate, but I did. It's a great phone too. No EVDO, which sucks for when I'm in St. John's, but all in all it seems like a great phone. Much better than the Chocolate for sure...

Phones
    iPhone 5
    iPhone 5S
    Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ~NeonFire~
    In Central...

I went to The Source and picked up a Samsung Vice. That phone has the worst interface I have ever seen. The Samsung interface is better than the Bell interface, but both are horrible. Honestly, I'd rather keep the chocolate.

Took it back, returned it - dealer specified it as "Buyers Remorse", got a LG Rumor 2. I told myself I'd never get another LG phone after the uneventful experience of owning a LG Chocolate, but I did. It's a great phone too. No EVDO, which sucks for when I'm in St. John's, but all in all it seems like a great phone. Much better than the Chocolate for sure...
    Rumour 2??

No worries about EVDO coverage then...
    That said, I like the Rumour 2. Not a smart upgrade from the rumour though....exact same device except different shape buttons, an extra row of buttons, a paint job and the crap Bell UI.

Phones
    Samsung Galaxy Note 2
    Samsung galaxy note 2
    Carrier
    koodo Mobile (Canada)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by clewis4u91
    Try adding another # sign to the end. ##786#
    that worked on my LG Rumour.

Phone
    Nexus S
    Carrier
    Bell
    Feedback Score
    thats something I'd love to see, extend their EVDO network out a bit more. Im about a 20km drive from the cut off lol.

Phone
    Nexus S
    Carrier
    Bell
    Feedback Score
    hmm, guess I spoke to soon. Woke up this morning with 1XEV on my storm. Worked great around the house, and down at work, except in my office where it drops to 1X still. Anyone know if bell increased its coverage in NS on the Eastern Shore?