Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: my net10 phone is a tracfone?????

Feedback Score

my net10 phone is a tracfone?????

i bought a refurbished lg phone at big lots in net10 packaging. i tried to port my number in but it wasn't working and i called net10. they said there was an error and activated my phone and it had 600 minutes on it and said net10 on the screen. i restarted it today and it says tracfone and 600 minutes and wasn't dialing out. i went to net10 website and it had me type in codes to "update" . now the phone works and i sent a text and it cost .3 minutes.

what is going on ? when i need more minutes should i use a net10 or tracfone card?

Carrier
    PagePlus - No Dealer Required
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by riverview9
    i bought a refurbished lg phone at big lots in net10 packaging. i tried to port my number in but it wasn't working and i called net10. they said there was an error and activated my phone and it had 600 minutes on it and said net10 on the screen. i restarted it today and it says tracfone and 600 minutes and wasn't dialing out. i went to net10 website and it had me type in codes to "update" . now the phone works and i sent a text and it cost .3 minutes.

what is going on ? when i need more minutes should i use a net10 or tracfone card?

Care to sell it?

I don't know how it would be possible to have had net10 on the fone display and then the next day show tracfone on the fone display. That would have taken and entire reflash of the software on the handset. Is that even possible to do OTA?

What happens when you go to trac tech supp online and enter the s/n?

Did your number port?

Do you have more than one of these fones and is it possible that you just mixed up the handsets?

I recently tested the "don't mention a PP Dealer by name" rule here on PP Hofo......trust me, it is still in effect - got me a 7 day ban.

Phone
    Droid Incredible 2
    Carriers
    Page Plus
    Lycamobile
    Feedback Score
    Maybe to save costs Tracfone and Net10 phones have both programmed into them, and then they just set the mode on the phone before shipping them out? If so, I've definitely seen stranger technology glitches, like the time my previous iPod randomly combined two songs together when they weren't like that in iTunes.

Carrier
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Macskeeball
    Maybe to save costs Tracfone and Net10 phones have both programmed into them, and then they just set the mode on the phone before shipping them out?
    That thought did cross my mind (very short crossing....lol), but I doubt that is the case.
    From years and years of past experience in many troubleshooting fields, me thinks there's more to the op's story or possibly even OHS.

Phone
    Droid Incredible 2
    Carriers
    Page Plus
    Lycamobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tracnet
    That thought did cross my mind (very short crossing....lol), but I doubt that is the case.
    From years and years of past experience in many troubleshooting fields, me thinks there's more to the op's story or possibly even OHS.
    Perhaps, perhaps not. I have several years of troubleshooting experience as well (for computers, on various message boards). Your scenario of someone getting their phone mixed up with another just seems unlikely to me, unless maybe the OP had two of the same model phone.

OHS? Is that like PEBKAC?

Feedback Score
    op here

i've never had a tracfone in my life. it is possible that the phone never had net10 displayed on it becaus i was the only one who saw it. i know it now says tracfone and i know i called net10 and never tracfone.
    i thought i would create a thread and there would be a simple answer and this was probably common

Carrier
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by riverview9
    op here

i've never had a tracfone in my life. it is possible that the phone never had net10 displayed on it becaus i was the only one who saw it. i know it now says tracfone and i know i called net10 and never tracfone.
    i thought i would create a thread and there would be a simple answer and this was probably common
    If you call net10 cs it is the same people talkin' as you would get if you call trac cs. So if you heard a csr answer as net10 and not trac then it could have simply been a mistake on the csr's part.

OHS? From my military days. Operator Head Space. Just an oversight or simple mistake.

Phone
    Droid Incredible 2
    Carriers
    Page Plus
    Lycamobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tracnet
    If you call net10 cs it is the same people talkin' as you would get if you call trac cs. So if you heard a csr answer as net10 and not trac then it could have simply been a mistake on the csr's part.
    He said his phone showed Net10 on the screen, though.

OHS? From my military days. Operator Head Space. Just an oversight or simple mistake.
    Yeah, so OHS is like PEBKAC: Problem Exists Between Keyboard and Chair.

Carrier
    Feedback Score
    He said his phone showed Net10 on the screen, though.
    Actually OP stated in the the latest post "it is possible that the phone never had net10 displayed on it becaus i was the only one who saw it".

Phones
    w370
    LG 200C
    Kyocera 126C
    Carriers
    Net10
    Feedback Score
    You could call Net10 and the CSR would answer "Net10" but once you gave the serial number to the phone and they put it in the system it would show it was a tracfone. I doubt they would even say anything about it. I have put the numbers in the wrong tech support before and it always tells you it is for the other company. The serial numbers are linked to only one.

When I had trouble with my Net10 phone I called Tracfone ER and when they answered I just told them I had a Net10 phone and they said ok, we can do it.

What Model LG phone did you get?
    There's no present. There's only the immediate future and the recent past.George Carlin

Carriers
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Two statements the OP made that no one has commented on were: 1) the phone came in Net10 packaging. 2) He went to the Net10 website and entered codes to activate the phone.

Phone
    Droid Incredible 2
    Carriers
    Page Plus
    Lycamobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracfancier
    1) the phone came in Net10 packaging.
    I wouldn't be surprised if Tracfone and Net10 used the same warehouse, etc. Maybe a glitch on the assembly line, etc. and the phone got put in the wrong package. I had a Hot Pocket once that was just the bread with nothing on the inside. Glitches like that can happen.

Maybe it has something to do with the phone being a refurb.

Carrier
    Feedback Score
    I figured CSI_Nut would have jumped in on this already, just because it seems what we have is a cross-dressing trac.......lol.........or a trac in drag.

Phones
    Samsung T201G
    Motorola W376
    BlackBerry 8703e
    Carriers
    AT&T (Tracfone / Net10)
    Feedback Score
    I am pretty sure that (some of) the phones are programmed to do both and selections are made at the Tracfone warehouse as to which service they want to sell the phone to do, but not via OTA. Proof: I have a Net10 Moto W375 phone that keeps attempting to connect to Tracfone's intranet when I press the internet button and then get a not authorized message -- and they cannot figure out how to fix it. I attempted to get them to send a new phone several times and I just got the run around. I finally figured that since I paid $30 and got 300 minutes and a phone that works only for calls/picture sending (surprisingly since internet does not work correctly)/text that I would just chalk it off and eventually replace the phone.

I think the warehouse misapplied the internet portion of the Trac/Net10 programming and they cannot fix it, so they just give me the runaround and essentially say that it makes calls so I should be happy with that. Poor customer service, yes -- but I did get $30 worth of minutes and a call/text phone, so I guess I am not out much.

Carrier
    Feedback Score
    I don't get it. Are you implying that CSI_Nut is a cross dresser? I'm not saying he is, just that I don't understand your post. Maybe you mean he's had a similar problem? Without proper avatars, it's more difficult for me to keep track of who is who (with a few exceptions), and I generally don't go to the other forums here. I don't want to derail the thread or anything. I'm just trying to understand your post.
    CSI_Nut will often talk about buying fones at retailers while in drag. So as not to be recognized. That's all. I'm quite sure that CSI_Nut will understand my comment as humor with no malice.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast