Phones
    LG KE770 Shine(X2)
    Apple iPhone 8GB
    Nokia N81 8GB
    Carriers
    T-Mobile |
    Feedback Score

Keep SMS messages unread on iPhone

Hey guys I was wondering if there is a way to keep SMS messages unread on the iPhone. When the window pops up and I want to deal with the SMS later it only let's me close or reply. I want the red circle with the number so I remember when I look at my phone. Before I went to 3.0 o used to be able to put it to sleep and turn it back on and it would do this. Any way to do this guys? Maybe a jailbreak utility that can?
    [Network Progression]
    [Tracfone -> Voicestream -> Sprint -> Verizon -> Sprint -> T-Mobile]

twitter.com/tzDev

Feedback Score
    Can't you just push the home button or the circle button. Whatever it's called

Phones
    LG KE770 Shine(X2)
    Apple iPhone 8GB
    Nokia N81 8GB
    Carriers
    T-Mobile |
    Feedback Score
    I can't get it to work. It seems like I have to deal with it now or never. I'll forget.

Feedback Score
    I've done it before by accident. You'll just have to try yourself by sending yourself text messages

Phones
    LG KE770 Shine(X2)
    Apple iPhone 8GB
    Nokia N81 8GB
    Carriers
    T-Mobile |
    Feedback Score
    Word. Is there perhaps a utility I could grab on Cydia? I really need this function.

Phones
    LG KE770 Shine(X2)
    Apple iPhone 8GB
    Nokia N81 8GB
    Carriers
    T-Mobile |
    Feedback Score
    Still can't get it. Anyone able to help?

Phones
    iPhone 5
    Google Nexus 4
    Carriers
    Bell
    Feedback Score
    Why not just don't click close or reply, just leave the message there? That's unless you need to use the phone,
    Follow me on:

Phones
    LG KE770 Shine(X2)
    Apple iPhone 8GB
    Nokia N81 8GB
    Carriers
    T-Mobile |
    Feedback Score
    Because when I click close it doesn't keep the red circle with the unread count on my home page.

Phones
    iPhone 3G S (Black 32GB)
    iPhone 3G (Black 16GB)
    iPhone (8GB) - dedicated iPod
    Carrier
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    I understand exactly what OP is saying because I've wanted the same functionality too. OP is actually doing better than me already because I couldn't even get it done on 2.x.

There are times when you need to delay reading/responding to a text in favor of some other thing you may be doing with the phone at the time of receipt (i.e.: Phone call, Safari, etc.). If you cancel out of the popup, you lose the notification, so if your phone call lasts another hour, after which you forget to go back and check the SMS, you will never again be reminded that it came. You are almost forced to read it as it comes in.

Frustrating, indeed, and I would also be interested in a workaround.
    Quote Originally Posted by cc3d (*edited by craze189)
    the most important question:

Who is the 'short-haircut' chick from the Facetime commercial and where do we find out more about her?
    Quote Originally Posted by MI_canuck View Post
    On the same token, you don't NEED an iphone 4... It's a luxury. Not an essential part of human life. Doesn't work for someone? Plenty of other phones that will.

ahhhh... Life was so much simpler back in the iPhone 2G days, when no one got a subsidized price, and the entitled minions of society were left out.

Phone
    iPhone 3GS
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Did you try turning off "Show Preview" under Settings--->Messages? That should take care of it.

Phone
    iPhone 5
    Carrier
    American Telephone & Telegraph Company
    Feedback Score
    In a previous version of the firmware (I think 1.x) there was an option to "Dismiss" when the notification came in, which did exactly what the OP wants. Unfortunately, that option is no longer available.

I suggest you make your concern heard here: http://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html

PRL Interpretations
    XFF's AlphaTag software
    Cellular and PCS License Maps
    Quote Originally Posted by gpatrick900
    I am a little confused. My Verizon phone was able to roam on GSM because they used TDMA. Tell it was shutdown. The phone recognizes it as Analog. If PCS has TDMA, It could be technically be used on GSM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tabla View Post
    Y'know, I'm used to hysterical 14-year-old ******** on the internet, but this is exceptional. Never before in human history have so many nerds hyperventilated so publicly over so little.

Phones
    LG KE770 Shine(X2)
    Apple iPhone 8GB
    Nokia N81 8GB
    Carriers
    T-Mobile |
    Feedback Score
    I looked all night and have seen no way to accomplish what I asked. I will let you guys know what I find. In the mean time bump.

Phones
    iPhone 3G S (Black 32GB)
    iPhone 3G (Black 16GB)
    iPhone (8GB) - dedicated iPod
    Carrier
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lazoli
    Did you try turning off "Show Preview" under Settings--->Messages? That should take care of it.
    Nope. That just turns off the preview (first few lines of the text) but you still get the popup saying you got a text and who it's from. I wish there was a way to actually turn off the whole popup. That way it would never interrupt a phone call or internet/ipod browsing, and I would still have the notification on the homepage. As it stands, you MUST read or cancel (which kills the notification) before you can do anything else with the phone, AFAIK.

Quote Originally Posted by XFF
    In a previous version of the firmware (I think 1.x) there was an option to "Dismiss" when the notification came in, which did exactly what the OP wants. Unfortunately, that option is no longer available.
    Now that you mention it I think I do remember that. It was so long ago I probably thought it was another phone.

Phone
    iPhone 3GS
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Guys. I have an iPhone 3GS and when I get a SMS and choose to close it instead of reading it right away, the red number stays on the Message Icon. So I know it's still there sitting unread...
    Btw I don't know if it makes any difference but my settings are set to 1.No Preview. 2. No Repeat Alert.

Phones
    iPhone 4S 64GB Black
    iPhone 5 64GB Black
    Carrier
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    ^ now this is the funny part. when you get a message that says close or "view" and you hit close you would still get the red badge. but if you gt close and "reply" and you hit close it will not get the red badge.

hope this helps, and i hope they bring this feature back, or at least give us the option to use it or not.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast