Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: ETF if you remove iPhone data plan?

Feedback Score

ETF if you remove iPhone data plan?

Does anyone know would AT&T charge me the ETF if after upgrading to the 3GS I cancelled/removed the iPhone data plan? I would be going back to an older phone, not cancelling the contract or trying to use the iPhone without paying for data.

I've searched the forums but could not find an answer. I would think I'm ok but then I read something about an ETF for both the voice & data contract?

If it matters/helps this is my situation. My phone/account is through my employer (I currently use an unlocked iPhone 2G) but I have an AT&T account for my child. I would upgrade to the 3GS using my AT&T account and unlock it for my use but I don't think it would be worth it for me if they charged me the ETF after removing the iPhone data plan.

Thanks for the help.

Phones
    iPhone 4S 16GB
    iPhone 4 16GB
    Carriers
    StraightTalk Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Nope, I did that on 2 of my lines, no ETF

Feedback Score
    Thank you.

Phone
    iPhone 6 128GB
    Carriers
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Yeah. The data plan has no penalty for canceling at any time as long as you are not going to use the iPhone obviously. The iPhone data plan is only required as long as you use the iPhone.
    iPhone 6 128GB on Verizon | iPad Mini 2 Retina 128GB on T-Mobile (free 200MB)

Feedback Score
    I don't get it. Isn't the iPhone data plan is tied to the 2-year contract? so that you get the subsidy on the iPhone. If you cancel the data plan, how would ATT get the money by the data plan over the two year. Do they allow you to do that?

Phones
    Apple iPhone
    Blackberry 8700c
    Carrier
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    I cancelled my data plan yesterday in about 5 minutes with AT&T... I gave them the IMEI of my old Samsung phone, AT&T entered it, removed data plan... done. They don't care (as long as you don't use an iPhone).

Phones
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pocariblue
    I don't get it. Isn't the iPhone data plan is tied to the 2-year contract? so that you get the subsidy on the iPhone. If you cancel the data plan, how would ATT get the money by the data plan over the two year. Do they allow you to do that?
    The subsidy is recovered from the use of the wireless service as it is with all wireless phones. There is no more subsidy with the iPhone than it is with many other high end phones. Using the features to recover the subsidy is an urban myth. The business arrangement between Apple and AT&T allows the phone manufacturer to sell phone directly which requires an AT&T wireless account. So Apple gets the revenue from the phones they sell and AT&T gets a wireless account from each of those sales. There is no such arrangement with any other manufacturer. If you buy a phone from Nokia, you are free to use any GSM carrier in the world.
    Earl F. Parrish

Phone
    nokia 6800
    Carrier
    att
    Feedback Score
    I went to an ATT store in NY and asked the same question.

The salesperson told me directly: buy the 3GS, use it with the data plan for one month and than cancell the data plan!

WOW! This from a knowledgeable ATT person. Could this advice be correct?

Andrzej
    andrzej

Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by andrzej
    WOW! This from a knowledgeable ATT person. Could this advice be correct
    No it is not correct and the "knowledgeable ATT person" obviously never bothered reading the Terms and Conditions which stipulate that the iPhone data package is required while the device remains active on a mobile # and could lose their job if was caught saying so.

Yes, you can manage to remove the feature by switching to a different handset without penalty.
    If I'm annoyed and you're annoyed, does that make us a paranoid ??

Sarcasm is a fine art...

"Don't believe everything you think"

It's not a matter of if you win or lose, it's how you assign the blame

Feedback Score
    can you remove the data plan on olam..or do you have to call it in?

I cant seem to uncheck the data plan to remove it...even when i switch my phone over to the epix...and it show as Epix on olam

Phones
    iPhone 4S most often
    G SIII (white), HTC One X S720E CID: HTC_001 (UK) (white) & iPhone 4S 32GB Factory Unlocked (white)
    Backups: Nokia E71-1 (white) & LG A165
    Carriers
    at&t
    AIS Thailand
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by veriztd
    No it is not correct and the "knowledgeable ATT person" obviously never bothered reading the Terms and Conditions which stipulate that the iPhone data package is required while the device remains active on a mobile # and could lose their job if was caught saying so.
    [...]

What on earth are you talking about????

andrzej didn't tell us whether the salesperson recommended this while keeping the iPhone on the line or while replacing the iPhone by another device.

If you do not use an iPhone any longer, you can remove the iPhone $30 data plan anytime by calling at&t and declare the device you want to use instead: give them its IMEI #.

It's just that this has no bearing on the contract end-date.
    Last edited by rf12; 06-30-2009 at 12:32 PM.

Phone
    iPhone 6 128GB
    Carriers
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pocariblue
    Actually AT&T doesn't really recover the cost. More accurately, they may recover the subsidy from the wireless phone service, but they won't make the planned profit on you without the data plan.
    Also, if you bought that iPhone in an AT&T store, as soon as you remove the data plan that AT&T sales person that sold you the phone gets a charge back (the commission they made on the sale to you gets reversed.)

Your contract merely says you maintain minimal service for the term. You could drop every feature off your account and just have the lowest voice plan.
    The confusion with the iPhone is that data is required on the iPhone. But only when you're using the iPhone.

Phone
    iPhone 6 128GB
    Carriers
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wratran2025
    can you remove the data plan on olam..or do you have to call it in?

I cant seem to uncheck the data plan to remove it...even when i switch my phone over to the epix...and it show as Epix on olam
    You have to call in.
    Too many people would swap their SIM to another phone, log in to OLAM, and remove the iPhone data plan. Then switch back to the iPhone. So iPhone accounts are flagged to restrict removal of the data plan online.

Blame the abusers for this one. But it's pretty painless to call in and have them remove the data plan. Just have a non-iPhone IMEI number ready.
    You can also email customer service through OLAM and they can do it that way, but it will likely take up to 24 hours to turn it around. If you do this clearly state you're changing to XYZ phone, include the IMEI, and ask that the data plan be removed. From then on you should be able to use OLAM normally.

Phone
    iPhone 6 128GB
    Carriers
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rf12
    What are on earth are you talking about????

andrzej didn't tell us whether the salesperson recommended this while keeping the iPhone on the line or while replacing the iPhone by another device.

If you do not use an iPhone any longer, you can remove the iPhone $30 data plan anytime by calling at&t and declare the device you want to use instead: give them its IMEI #.

It's just that this has no bearing on the contract end-date.
    Yes, but andrzej's post was very vague and implied that he was going to maintain use of the iPhone without the data plan. At least's he didn't imply contrary.

So unless andrzej clearifies, you're both right.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RF9
    Actually AT&T doesn't really recover the cost. More accurately, they may recover the subsidy from the wireless phone service, but they won't make the planned profit on you without the data plan.
    Also, if you bought that iPhone in an AT&T store, as soon as you remove the data plan that AT&T sales person that sold you the phone gets a charge back (the commission they made on the sale to you gets reversed.)

Your contract merely says you maintain minimal service for the term. You could drop every feature off your account and just have the lowest voice plan.
    The confusion with the iPhone is that data is required on the iPhone. But only when you're using the iPhone.
    Thank you. So I can ask my friend who with ATT to add a line and buy the iPhone. Then sell me the iPhone to use on Tmobile (after unlocking). I'm willing to pay the additional $10 monthly fee for him for 2 years. Then he just need to cancel the iPhone data plan. Sounds good.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast