Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Phone
    iPhone 4S, Moto Atrix, Galaxy Nexus LTE
    Carrier
    ATT (Jan 2004-Current), Tmobile Oct 2007-Current, Sprint 1997-2004, Aerial Communications 1996
    Feedback Score

Busted a guy trying to sell me a stolen iphone 3g "s" craigslist

First off, I have a cell phone buying problem (buy/resell/buy/resell etc)

I was duped earlier in the day (I brought a BB Javelin off craigslist and turns out it was reported stolen/lost so I can't use my BB data...really don't know what do with the phone but Tmobile isn't being very helpful even locating the original owner for me).

I saw another ad on craigslist for someone who wanted to trade an iphone 3g s (16GB) for a mint condition iphone 3g 16GB (2008 version) plus some cash. I offered $130 plus my iphone 3g 16GB 2008 version.

I get to the parking lot at Best Buy and we are about to do the trade, (I have my original box and accessories). He shows up with only the iphone 3g s and the USB charger. No headphones and most importantly no original box. I ask him where the original iphone 3g s box is. He says he wants to keep it. I said fine he can keep the box but I want to see the the IMEI number from the original iphone 3g s box. He tries to play me for some stupid fool (Yeah I was still annoyed from earlier in the day from buying a stolen blackberry). He says I can check the IMEI from the iphone myself. I said I wanted to verify the IMEI from the box and the phone. I than proceed to tell him I have Mobile Me's "find my iphone" service. I want to make sure the phone isn't lost/stolen. At this point, he knows I'm onto to him. He says forgot it. Too much hassle and just walks away.

I'm sure I was dealing another stolen phone again for the second time today.

So I hope people get smarter about scams on craigslist. If the person doesn't have the original iphone 3g s box or have an exchange sheet from Apple (for refurbished iphone 3g s), I'd be very hesitant to buy an iphone 3g s from craigslist at this time.

Carrier
    Sprint / AT&T
    Feedback Score
    And to add to this, be sure to check the phone for the brighter wording on the back of both the white and black phones as the 3G version was done very dim and harder to read. That along with the compass app, Voice Control and obviously video recorder should always be verified when dealing with the purchase of a used 3GS.

Feedback Score
    Craigslist is unfortunately full of seedy scammers I'd be very careful when purchasing anything from there, and it looks like you did the right thing here.

I wonder if you could report him to craigslist about it?
    iPhone 3gs (home phone) + Motorola Razr (work phone) + Macbook Pro

Carrier
    Sprint / AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by xcharliemx
    I do my Craigslist purchases at the post office. When they ask why there I tell them it's because it becomes a federal offense to commit a crime on post office grounds.

I have no idea if it's true or not. I've had people say they changed their mind and leave though.
    Interesting...

Phone
    iPhone 4
    Carrier
    Whoever is cheaper and WORKS!
    Feedback Score
    Man that sucks, sorry to hear about your misfortune. The sad thing is, someone who is not technologically savvy will buy this phone, and than they are screwed when they find out the phone has been stolen. You did the right thing by questioning the sh*t out of him. You should have said, I know people who are cops MoFo and if this IS a stolen phone, trust me they will hunt you down Seems to me that this is the current "iphone selling status"

Ebay - Nigerian or international scams
    CL - dumbf*cks who steal locally and scam locally

Either way it is a lose/lose situation

Phones
    IPhone 3GS 32gb White
    iPad 32gb Wifi
    iPhone 4 32gb
    Carriers
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I just put a post up there looking to trade my 2g for a 3g and $100.....ill have to do the same thing cause ill flip out if i trade my 2g away for nothing.

Phone
    iPhone 4S, Moto Atrix, Galaxy Nexus LTE
    Carrier
    ATT (Jan 2004-Current), Tmobile Oct 2007-Current, Sprint 1997-2004, Aerial Communications 1996
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Rrazr-X7
    Man that sucks, sorry to hear about your misfortune. The sad thing is, someone who is not technologically savvy will buy this phone, and than they are screwed when they find out the phone has been stolen. You did the right thing by questioning the sh*t out of him. You should have said, I know people who are cops MoFo and if this IS a stolen phone, trust me they will hunt you down Seems to me that this is the current "iphone selling status"

Yeah, I am actually trying to resolve this issue. It's not a Tmobile blackberry 8900. It looks like an unlocked unbranded Curve 8900. So they have no clue who this phone belongs to. I am on hold with RIM trying to figure this out. Been on hold for over 30 minutes.

This really isn't worth my time. Trying to do the right thing.

Phone
    iPhone 4
    Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Rrazr-X7

It's really not that bad as long as you do your homework. Yes there are scammers on ebay and craigslist but there are also a lot of honest people out there. I've bought and sold on craigslist a lot (everything from my iphone to laptops and a ps3) and haven't run into any scammers.

Phone
    Apple iPhone 3G 16GB Black
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    yea there's always a level of sketchiness when it comes to Craigslist. I try to use it very lightly, especially for things like cell phones / hot stolen goods.

sciphone.net - The best iPhone Wallpapers on the Internet. New Wallpapers Added Daily!

sciphoneapps.com - The best iPhone applications on the Internet.
    Now serving : 38,000 Applications...

Carrier
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    i would have bought the phone anyway, the phone might of been stolen but unfortunately the person is not getting it back. Yea it sounds bad but if anything i would have tried talking him down
    No Signature...

Phones
    Apple iPhone 8GB, sold for $300
    Apple iPhone 3G 16GB, sold for $300
    Apple iPhone 3GS 32GB
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    i'm not defending the guy or anything, but my phone's imei doesn't match my box. the color of the phone doesnt even match the box.

i've had my 3GS swapped for a replacement - the colors were swapped too, so now i have a black iphone, with a white box with a non-matching imei. lol

i wonder how i can prove that my phone isn't stolen come next june when it's time to sell!

Phones
    iPhone
    ATT Tilt Sold
    VX8700
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I am not sure if everyone really understands about stolen phone. Apple does not cares about stolen phone. They do not void warranty on anything. You walk in to apple store and as long you have the phone you are owner. Secondly I am not sure what was wrong with the deal. As long as you can enter in the phone you can check everything and mobile me cant do anything. You can always restore the phone.

Phone
    iphone 3GS
    Feedback Score
    I have to agree, the IMEI matching the box means nothing. They dont give you a new box when you swap a phone. My Bold I just sold in brand new shape doesnt match the box, it was a refurb sent by itself in a brown cardboard box from ATT. Who cares? Doesnt mean its stolen by any means or anything shady.

Real easy test wouldve been pop your SIM in and make a test call and pull up a web page. The IMEI matching the box means nothing towards it being stolen.

I think you assumed a lot without asking any questions. Plus if he didnt have the box with him, why would he bother going to go get it? Im sure he could easily find another buyer, and I likely wouldve done the same and just relisted it for sale.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by aneftp

I get to the parking lot at Best Buy and we are about to do the trade, (I have my original box and accessories). He shows up with only the iphone 3g s and the USB charger. No headphones and most importantly no original box. I ask him where the original iphone 3g s box is. He says he wants to keep it. I said fine he can keep the box but I want to see the the IMEI number from the original iphone 3g s box. He tries to play me for some stupid fool (Yeah I was still annoyed from earlier in the day from buying a stolen blackberry). He says I can check the IMEI from the iphone myself. I said I wanted to verify the IMEI from the box and the phone. I than proceed to tell him I have Mobile Me's "find my iphone" service. I want to make sure the phone isn't lost/stolen. At this point, he knows I'm onto to him. He says forgot it. Too much hassle and just walks away.

I'm sure I was dealing another stolen phone again for the second time today.
    It could, or maybe he was just irritated of your demands and knows he can get a better deal with someone with less questions and also owns the iphone that is not stolen.

Phone
    iphone 3GS 32GB
    Carrier
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    Well it could be that he couldn't prove it was his phone due to various reasons, but most likely it is stolen. If it wasn't stolen, atleast he would try explaining about how boxes were swapped after returns.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast