Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Is it safe to buy phones from China?

Feedback Score

Is it safe to buy phones from China?

Hey guy, anyone has the experiences of buying phones from China? Is it safe or risky? Do I need to pay a lot of customs taxes?
    One of my friends from Spain once ordered several phones from this web site, www.mobigarden.com , he said the price is cheap and it is fast, but I am still worried, anyone also ordered from this site? I hope someone can give me suggestions? Thx in advance.

Feedback Score
    Web site seems ok and the phones are really really cheap, but how about the quality? I have never ordered phones on line, I have no idea also.

Phones
    Apple iPhone 3G
    Hello Kitty JP 5689
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    According to United States customs law (assuming you live in the US), cellular communication devices (including phones) are exempt from any import duty. If you're concerned, you can always try asking the seller to mark the package as a "gift" so that it's duty-exempt.

The phones on that site are pretty expensive - try DealExtreme and eBay for better prices. The Jin Peng phone I bought a few weeks ago was only $75 shipped.

Feedback Score
    Try to avoid buying from overseas websites unless you absolutely cannot find it on Ebay. Many of their phones listed as triband and quadband are in fact dual band. I've purchased 3 false tribands that turned out to be dual-band in the past.

If that does happen to you, make sure you claim "Item defective" and NOT "Item is different than described". Because PayPal will close the dispute in favor of the seller if you do otherwise. A dual band phone falsely described as triband is of no use to us Americans. Most website operators know about this stupid PayPal glitch and usually ignore this type of dispute so they can get paid regardless. Totobay.com is notorious for listing false tribands/quadbands.

Carrier
    T-mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by munkala
    Try to avoid buying from overseas websites unless you absolutely cannot find it on Ebay. Many of their phones listed as triband and quadband are in fact dual band. I've purchased 3 false tribands that turned out to be dual-band in the past.

If that does happen to you, make sure you claim "Item defective" and NOT "Item is different than described". Because PayPal will close the dispute in favor of the seller if you do otherwise. A dual band phone falsely described as triband is of no use to us Americans. Most website operators know about this stupid PayPal glitch and usually ignore this type of dispute so they can get paid regardless. Totobay.com is notorious for listing false tribands/quadbands.
    Why would PayPal close the dispute if it's an "item not as described" dispute? I had a dispute like that before and it was resolved in my favor but that was, I think, two years ago. Has Paypal changed their rules?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Maru
    Why would PayPal close the dispute if it's an "item not as described" dispute? I had a dispute like that before and it was resolved in my favor but that was, I think, two years ago. Has Paypal changed their rules?
    Not really sure but according to them... receiving a dual band phone instead of a real triband phone was only a minor deviation from the description. Those retards don't know that this minor deviation makes the phone useless in America.

That particular transaction, the funds were take directly from my checking account. Nowadays I do all my transactions linked to a credit card. That way if it happens again, I can at least further dispute it with my credit card. At least I can speak to a rep about it.

Phones
    SciPhone i68++
    SciPhone i68+
    Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    As munkala has noticed:
    Always talk to the seller before getting a china phone. (This includes on ebay)
    Ebay is notorious for selling fake stuff.

Do as much research on the phone, if you can get firmware/build inforamtion, is good, as you can ask the seller to relay this info to you.
    Check the seller website, check sellers feedback (and read the comments, look at the sales item history). U can use google with websites names and words scam/rip.off
    sometimes you will be surprised. how effective this can be.

with china phones, its a buy as-is. U should check return policy and procedures (some will send u a return label, others will charge u, some will have a doa policy, others 30 day - 1 year return policy.

AS-IS china phones, (this is where your research comes in), usually means u will have to change settings for wap/mms. so yuu can get SMS/MMS & web

Feedback Score
    Hey guys, thx very much for all your suggestions and useful information. I have made an order and made the payment on this web site, because I really like the phones and my friend highly recommended this web site to me, he said it is safe to buy from them and he likes their fast shipment, usually they ship out the phones the same day you made the order. It is true, they have shipped out my phone already and I checked the tracking number, it is on line already and now I can't wait to get the phone. I will check how good it is after I get the phone and I will write down my feelings here. Dream to get my phone. ...

Feedback Score
    Good info. It seems that more people tend to trust ebay more then "independent" sites that sell China phones. A lot of them ask for Western Union or whatever. But I see weird stuff on ebay too like described (so called quad band phones being triband only, etc.) Sometimes it can get real sketchy out there. Be careful and safe everyone.

Feedback Score
    you could let seller declare your package as "gift" at a lower value to avoid custom duty. if you are in US, you don't need worry about it, but if you are in european countries, it will be helpful

Phones
    i-mate SP5
    Motorola MPx220
    Motorola V400
    Carriers
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Somewhat related (perhaps); don't buy any memory cards from the china sites though you bought the phone. There are lots of memory cards/keys/sticks from that region that are rated for much higher capacity that it actually supports; I've seen 4GB rated as 16GB. Plug it in and your OS recognizes the 16GB but files randomly get corrupted as you exceed about 3.5 GB of usage.

Feedback Score
    Yes. Chinese products tend to overrate sometimes. This is true for megapixel rating on camera phones and ampere capacity on the battery as well.

Feedback Score
    Sorry for not coming back for such a long time, I was in vacation the past few weeks. let me update my order experience from this Chinese web site. I just want to say my friend is right, I am also very satisfied with this web shop, their speed is really fast, I got the phone in 4 days after I made the payment on paypal, and just like what they said on the web site, they did test the phone well and the phone was packed perfectly and works perfectly. All my friends like the phone and they said they were willing to pay higer price for the phone if I can resell it to them. I think I am going to buy more phones from them, maybe I can start to sell Chinese mobile phones here in my city. By the way, the name of the phone I ordered is VERTU Ascent Ti Ferrari Rosso Updated, I really lover this phone, it is a perfect copy from Vertu. Thx for sharing my experience and giving me many good suggestions. Thx for all.

Feedback Score

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by Tomas Brands
    Hey guy, anyone has the experiences of buying phones from China? Is it safe or risky? Do I need to pay a lot of customs taxes?
    One of my friends from Spain once ordered several phones from this web site, www.mobigarden.com , he said the price is cheap and it is fast, but I am still worried, anyone also ordered from this site? I hope someone can give me suggestions? Thx in advance.
    i got one from buyprc and it wont take o2 sim card i have found out since then that a batch of thousands had been given the same imei number and so o2 cant be registered in it!!!! i have sent numerous emails to them and guess what.....no reply anyone any idea what i can do i specifically said can i use o2 sim card they said its totally sim free my orange works fine in it but i got it so i could have both networks in it at once (dual sim) but i dont know what i can do about it now

Phones
    OnePlus One, Alcatel Idol x,Nexus 5 wife's, HTC One,N4,Lg 4x,SGS4 Daughter,Lg G Flex son's.
    OnePlus One, Alcatel Idol x,Nexus 5 wife's, HTC One,N4,Lg 4x,SGS4 Daughter,Lg G Flex son's.
    Carriers
    Virgin, HOT mobile Israel.
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bumflove
    i got one from buyprc and it wont take o2 sim card i have found out since then that a batch of thousands had been given the same imei number and so o2 cant be registered in it!!!! i have sent numerous emails to them and guess what.....no reply anyone any idea what i can do i specifically said can i use o2 sim card they said its totally sim free my orange works fine in it but i got it so i could have both networks in it at once (dual sim) but i dont know what i can do about it now
    the info. you received is not correct. the did not put the same imei. otherwise it wouldnt work on orange either. it is o2 even with brand name phones like nokia it will not work. o2 blocks any imei's that r not theirs is y this is happening.
    Instructions for the $55- 5 Gb sk/mb Koodo plan, get it anywhere in Canada!!:

http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...odo-sk-mb-plan

Latest phones used:Oneplus One, LG G2, Alcatel OneTouch Idol x, Lg G2 Dropped cracked screen bent motherboard, Nexus 5 sold, Lg G Flex Son's, Nexus 5 wife's , HTC One sold, Nexus 4 LTE sold , LG optimus 4x sold, Samsung Galaxy s4 Daughter's.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast