Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Phone
    iPhone 3GS 32Gb black
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

Apl*itunes 866-712-7753 Ca. Fraud

Just wanted everyone to know that if you receive the following email, it is a fraud. It is not iTunes trying to withdraw money from your account. It is a scammer....

Hello ****** *******,

Thank you for using your PayPal Debit Card for your payment of $1.00 USD to APL*ITUNES 866-712-7753 CA.

Please log in to your PayPal account and view your transaction history for more information.

Sincerely,
    PayPal

This PayPal notification was sent to andy*****@******.net

To unsubscribe, reply to this email and type "unsubscribe" in the subject line. To modify your notification preferences, log in to your PayPal account, click the Profile sub-tab, then click the Notifications link under Account Information. Changes may take up to 10 days to be reflected in our mailings.

PayPal will not sell or rent any of your personally identifiable information to third parties. For more information about the security of your information, read our Privacy Policy at https://www.paypal.com/privacy.

Copyright© 2007 PayPal Inc. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks and brands are the property of their respective owners. PayPal is located at 2211 N. First St., San Jose, CA 95131.
    Please do not reply to this email. This mailbox is not monitored and you will not receive a response. For assistance, log in to your PayPal account and click the Help link in the top right corner of any PayPal page.

PayPal Email ID PP464

The letter from PayPal above is real, but the funds are not going to iTunes. They are going to someone who has gone to some trouble to make you think you made a purchase from iTunes.

The phone number directs you to go to Apple's website and contact customer service. This is only a ploy to buy themselves more time to steal your money. I only got hit for $1.00, but they typically hit you for about $150.00, as I found out from Googling "APL*ITUNES 866-712-7753 CA."

It turns out that they only try to get around a dollar authorized, just to make sure the card and account are active and then they can change the amount to whatever they want, while still using the same authorization number. The next thing you know, that dollar has tuned into 150 or whatever they try to steal.

To protect yourself, call the number on the back of your credit card and have your account closed, and a new card issued to you. When speaking with PayPal tonight, I was also told that it might be best if I swept all of my funds to my checking account, in order to protect them.

The customer service rep informed me that what most likely happened is that a legitimate vendor has had their site compromised and a program that mines credit card data has been installed. His thoughts are that the vendors typically don't even know that they have been compromised. What I'd like to do is set up a list of vendors who I've purchased from recently, so that others who might have been scammed can chime in and let us all know if they purchased from these same vendors (or possibly corrupt vendors) too. This database might protect others from loosing their funds. I'm guessing (although I might be wrong) that others who have been scammed have recently purchased from one of the same vendors as I did.....

Please understand that I'm not saying that any of the below mentioned vendors have been compromised. I'm just trying to sort out if the possibility exists that it is one of these. If it is any of those, I would lean towards it being one of those that sell iPhone related items, as the theft seems to be directed only towards people who use iTunes.

So here goes...here's my list of recent purchases: those that are underlined do sell iPhone accessories

THE WORTH COMPANY
    BAZZANOS PIZZA NY
    EBESTSHOP SAN FRANCISC CA
    AT&T YA31 14248 PLATTSBURGH NY
    CVI*FAVORITES 800-221-1133 MA
    United Integral Inc.
    USPS 35550009628066QPS MORRISONVILLE NY
    Itrimming.com

If anyone who's been scammed wants to add their list, maybe we can determine where the leak is......

Phone
    iPhone
    Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I had a charge for $1 on my credit card about two months ago from "apple itunes" and had that same number. I've never bought anything from itunes before. So I called my bank and they told me that they couldn't do anything about it since it was a pending charge. I asked the credit card rep, "So the thieves have to take my money before you will do anything about it?"

So I just closed my account and was done with it. I use my credit card to buy everything, so my account information could have been compromised from any one of the hundreds of on line vendors I patron.
    you know, we're living in a society!

Feedback Score
    Wow thanks for this - I am getting hit! I assumed it was my daughter making iTunes purchases. Small and very infrequent. Grr!!!

Your post helped a lot - thanks for posting.

Feedback Score
    LOL Actually I logged in and checked her account (with her permission ) and the purchases are legit. This entry, APL*ITUNES, with phone number and all, can be legit. I guess the fraud is someone stealing the account info and buying iTunes songs, not the company doing it (which was my mistaken impression).

Phone
    iPhone 3GS 32Gb black
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by awalt
    LOL Actually I logged in and checked her account (with her permission ) and the purchases are legit. This entry, APL*ITUNES, with phone number and all, can be legit.
    The thing is... No one is buying songs from the real iTunes here. It is APL*ITUNES ending up with your funds, not the real iTunes Store. APL*ITUNES is winding up with your money and no one else. What have you received in return from your non-existent purchase from APL*ITUNES??????

When you checked your daughter's account, I respectfully ask what your daughter bought from APL*ITUNES 866-712-7753 CA? I truly don't think APL*ITUNES sells anything. Do a Google search and see ALL of the complaints of fraud (stolen money) over the past few YEARS. Don't take just my word on this!!!!! Please make sure that your daughter did in fact get something from APL*ITUNES 866-712-7753 CA.

I myself am a brand new iTunes user. I have purchased absolutely nothing from the iTunes Store, and also nothing from "APL*ITUNES 866-712-7753 CA.". Having purchased nothing from either, I have the latter saying I did, and they're trying to collect at least a dollar (and probably more) from me. What I believe we have here is a thief trying to fool people into thinking that they have made a purchase from the real iTunes Store. You see a dollar coming out of your account (remember, they've mined your credit card data from a legitimate site you've made a purchase from), which according to PayPal is an attempt at phishing to make sure your credit is actually good. Then once APL*ITUNES 866-712-7753 CA knows they're dealing with an account In good standing, they swoop in for the kill.

Think about it....where are the funds going? They're going to APL*ITUNES 866-712-7753 CA. Who is making the profit? APL*ITUNES 866-712-7753 CA. Someone there is running a good scam and getting away with it.

Also think about this......if you were a legitimate online business that was getting tons of complaints against you due to someone stealing money from your customers, wouldn't you make it your business to correct a loophole that's causing your customers to get ripped off? Well, that's not entirely the case here as they are the thieves themselves!!!

If my thinking on this is correct, here's how it goes (mind you, I'm making a lot of assumptions here). The scammer hacks and installs a data miner on a most likely legit website that sells products to Apple users. Then, you purchase an item from the vendor. Your credit info is then sent to the actual vendor and it is mined by APL*ITUNES 866-712-7753 CA. Well, the scammer knows you have an Apple product due to your purchase from that particular legit site, and I'm guessing most online sales for Apple's products are for either iPhones or iPods, so the scammer knows that sooner or later you are going to be purchasing songs, apps, movies, etc. from the real iTunes Store. Well, the scammer waits a little and puts in a bogus charge to your credit card company using the APL*ITUNES business name. Most people will not even give itone thought when they see the APL*ITUNES 866-712-7753 CA address show up on their bill, thinking it's the real iTunes Store, and knowing that they have made recent purchases from the iTunes Store. That's what the scammer is hoping for. "it's only a dollar and no one will give it any attention". Then after the credit card company (PayPal in my case) authorizes the sale, the scammer either goes in and changes the amount, which PP says they actually can do, or the scammer after seeing that the account is good and has money in it, they send in for an additional authorization as if you've made an additional purchase, but this time for a sum that greatly exceeds $1.00
    Most people seem to get hit for around $150.00 on either the first or susbsequent billings put in by APL*ITUNES 866-712-7753 CA.
    Last edited by andygold; 07-04-2009 at 09:43 AM.

Phone
    iPhone 3GS 32Gb black
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Can anyone who has purchased anything from the the iTunes Store, let me how it reads on your credit card statement? Obvoiusly, I'm not looking for account numbers. All I'm interested in if it looks anything similar to "APL*ITUNES 866-712-7753 CA"

Feedback Score
    [QUOTE=andygold]
    Quote Originally Posted by awalt
    LOL Actually I logged in and checked her account (with her permission ) and the purchases are legit. This entry, APL*ITUNES, with phone number and all, can be legit./QUOTE]

the thing is... No one is buying songs from the real iTunes here. It is APL*ITUNES ending up with your funds, not the real iTunes Store. APL*ITUNES is winding up with your money and no one else. What have you received in return from your non-existent purchase from APL*ITUNES??????

I'd be curious what exactly your daughter bought from her? I truly don't think APL*ITUNES sells anything. Do a Google search and see ALL of the complaints of fraud (stolen money) over the past few YEARS. Don't take just my word on this!!!!!

I myself am a brand new iTunes user. I have purchased absolutely nothing from the iTunes Store, and nothing from "APL*ITUNES 866-712-7753 CA.". Having purchased nothing from either, I have the latter saying I did, and trying to collect at least a dollar (and probably more) from me. What I believe we have here is a thief trying to fool people into thinking that they have made a purchase from the real iTunes Store. you see a dollar coming out of your account (remember, they've mined your credit card data), which according to PayPal is an attempt at phishing to make sure your credit is actually good. Then once APL*ITUNES knows they have an account In good standing, they swoop in for the kill.
    Think about it....where are the funds going? They're going to APL*ITUNES. Who is making the profit? APP*ITUNES. Someone, or everyone there is running a good scam and getting away with it.
    Also think about this......if you were a legitimate online business that was getting tons of complaints against you due to someone stealing money from your customers, wouldn't you make it your business to correct a loophole that's causing your customers to get ripped off? Well, that's not entirely the case here as they are the thieves themselves!!!
    Well, here is what I did - you tell me if I missed something.

I bring up iTunes on my computer. I log onto the Apple store through iTunes, using my daughter's user name and password. Under Account, I click on the Purchases button, and I get a list of all purchases. First I verify that any charges I see from APL*ITUNES against my credit card reflect purchases in that list, and they do. So I conclude from that, that there are no credit card charges from APL*ITUNES that do not match a purchase in my daughters account via the iTunes store. Second, I take the list of purchases, and ask my daughter to verify that these are songs or albums she has purchased. She says they are.

So one conclusion can be that APL*ITUNES is a legit charging source for the iTunes store. And that the fraud complaints are in reality not a third-party who is charging people's credit card, but a legit fulfillment house for Apple that shows up on people's credit cards because someone's credit card info got stolen, and it is being used to charge songs from iTunes by a thief. The latter is not happening to me because my daughter accounts that the songs are legit, and I have not been charged for anything not showing up in the iTunes store history.

I guess the other possibility is someone has cloned that same fulfillment ID and is using it to charge people's credit cards, but again that's not my situation due to the checks and balances of what I did. I understand one of these two possibilities (stolen credit card info in either case) may be happening to you, but if my logic is correct it is not happening to me.

Phone
    iPhone 3GS 32Gb black
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    In my case... according to iTunes, I don't even have a credit card on file, and I've never made a purchase from iTunes. Yet APL*ITUNES 866-712-7753 CA has debited my account. If the funds actually did go to iTunes, then where did the music get sent? It didn't go into my account, as it does not show up in my iTunes account as a purchase. you'd figure that at or about the same time they accept my funds, they'd want a password that shows them it's me who just paid them.

I'm also curious that if my credit info has been stolen, why would the thief seem to be continually using it to make purchases on iTunes as is shown on various web postings. You'd think that they'd use it to make online purchases from other types of vendors with more expensive items.

Also, if it really is iTunes whose winding up with the money, and they know there's a ton of fraud going on, why wouldn't they make their purchases more secure? Maybe they could allow us to select some cap or setting on how much we can spend at a time/per day/per month...similar to ATM machines that only allow so much money to be withdrawn per day. I would gladly love to have an additonal password required, or the ability to select an option within iTunes that would limit the amount of funds that can be expended over a specific time period that I can select.

From gleaning the web, this fraud has been going on for a few years now, and also from my readings, Apple does not even have a live person you can call to direct this to and make a complaint. Others have expressed their great frustrations with Apple for not making this right. I'm not an Apple hater by any means (I just got my first Apple product...an iPhone...a week ago, and I truly love it), but I think that Apple may have dropped the ball in this issue, regarding the security of their customer's accounts.

Phones
    iPhone 5
    iPhone 5
    iPhone 4S
    Carriers
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    I have mine directly linked to my paypal and all mine shows is : iTunes
    Generic signature text.

Phone
    iPhone 3G
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Medpilot
    ... So I called my bank and they told me that they couldn't do anything about it since it was a pending charge. I asked the credit card rep, "So the thieves have to take my money before you will do anything about it?"....
    Sadly, this is a very true statement, and in my opinion, strongly encourages credit card theft.

In November 2007, on a Tuesday, I called American Express with a simple benign question about a recent bill but was automatically forwarded to their fraud department. They asked me if I bought an iPhone over the previous few days. I had not. They indicated that someone had ordered an iPhone the previous Saturday direct from Apple. Somehow their computer flagged this sale as a potential problem and stopped any payments to Apple or charges to my account. They would not tell me why the sale was flagged but this really impressed me because buying an iPhone would have not been at all inconsistent with my typical purchase history. They issued me a new card with a new account number and that ended the incident.

Unfortunately, my being impressed stopped there. American Express and Apple had a ship to address in the area in which I live (although they would not tell me the details). The previous Friday night was the first time I used the American Express card in a number of weeks. I used at a nearby restaurant. For some reason, the waiter seemed weird when he returned my card and I even commented to my wife that the guy was strange. Even though American Express had an address, and a likely suspect, they refused to do anything other than issue me a new card. They clearly told me that since no money was charged to my account (their computer stopped payment) they would do nothing. Obviously there is effectively no risk to credit credit card fraud so there is also no real deterrent. I think American Express should be charged with criminal stupidity.

Phones
    iPhone 5
    iPhone 5
    iPhone 4S
    Carriers
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    I have a question. Although my purchases just report as iTunes shouldn't it be .99 that is taken and not a dollar? I mean most iTunes songs are .99 each. All of mine have been real.

Phones
    iPhone 4 (32gig - Black)
    iPhone 4 (32gig - Black)
    iPhone 3Gs (16gig - Black)
    Carrier
    Cingular (Now The New AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by andygold
    Can anyone who has purchased anything from the the iTunes Store, let me how it reads on your credit card statement? Obvoiusly, I'm not looking for account numbers. All I'm interested in if it looks anything similar to "APL*ITUNES 866-712-7753 CA"

I can confirm that what you listed above .. is EXACTLY what shows on the bank statement.

Carrier
    Page Plus x 2 lines
    Feedback Score
    You can forge an authorization line. its not really that hard.
    It looks like someone forged the official apple auth line.

And $1.00 is a typical pending authorization only charge. Typically its either $1.00 or $1.01. Like someone above said, its only an authorization hit to confim the credit card is active and open. Because of batch processing, they can turn around and change it to whatever amount they want, on the same authorization number.
    Disclaimer: If this is an answer to a TECHNICAL QUESTION, then MY ANSWER is correct, even if its contradicting something that a tech support rep, or anyone else said. I am not giving you the answer YOU WANT, I'll give you the answer I know is CORRECT.
    If this is about CARRIER POLICY, then you should probably be aware that carriers change their policy unexpectedly, and inexplicably. Even if the answer is correct when posted, it could very well be wrong in a day, or week.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by desertbunny
    You can forge an authorization line. its not really that hard.
    It looks like someone forged the official apple auth line.

And $1.00 is a typical pending authorization only charge. Typically its either $1.00 or $1.01. Like someone above said, its only an authorization hit to confim the credit card is active and open. Because of batch processing, they can turn around and change it to whatever amount they want, on the same authorization number.
    This is exactly true. Like right now, I can log on and see pending charges on my credit card. There is a $1.00 charge from a gas station I went to a few days ago, for the first time. So it appears they authorize for a $1 to make sure the card is legit etc. The charge will come across for the purchase of the sale.

Feedback Score
    This is a classic email Phishing scheme. Do not click on any of the links in the email to access your PayPal Account.

This is a very minor version, usually I get emails that are for an item at $299 or $399 and ask for me to confirm by clicking on a link to PayPal.

Again, do not click on any of the links. If it were real you would get an email from the "iTunes Store" with a no reply showing an Invoice of any activity on your iTunes account.

Dave

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast