Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Incorrect WiFi Password (except it's not)

Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

Incorrect WiFi Password (except it's not)

So I finally decided to try and use my iphone with my wireless network, but when I try to actually connect- I get a message that I'm entering the wrong password. The only problem is, it's not the wrong password. The same password works just fine for all my other wireless items (wii, netflix roku box, etc) but for whatever reason, the iphone sees it as incorrect. This being the case, I'm assuming that this has something to do with iphone settings, rather than a problem with the wifi setup.

I'm a little new to this stuff, but does anyone out there have any idea why the iphone would refuse to accept the wifi password? Iphone sees my network just fine, but it keeps telling me password is wrong, despite the fact that that password works fine with other electronic devices. Do I need to maybe enable some setting on the iphone, or something else I'm not thinking of? If anyone out there has any thoughts, they'd be greatly appreciated, I assure you.
    98% of the population is asleep. The other 2% are staring around in complete amazement, abject terror, or both.

Phones
    iphone 3GS White old bootrom for sale
    iphone 4
    iphone 3Gs- For Sale
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    it's been brought up a number of times, people are having wi-fi problems
    heres one link

wi-fi problems
    APPLE Iphone 4 32GB (Black)
    Apple Macbook pro 17" 2.66 GHz 9600M GT 512MB

Phones
    iPhone 3Gs Black and White
    iPhone 2G
    AT&T Tilt
    Carrier
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    For me, it took several tries before the password worked. I must have tried it roughly 10 times in a row. It finally took and now it connects every time without any problems.

Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Well that blows. I've tried it many many times now and it just won't connect. Kinda sucks- what's the point of having a phone that can supposedly access wifi, if it can't actually access wifi?

Phone
    iPhone 3GS
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Power cycle your router and try again.

I got that error today, out of the blue, and after power cycling my router it connected.

Phone
    Iphone 4s (16gb)
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I updated the firmware on my router and 1000x better.

Phone
    Main: Black iPhone 4 32gb, Back-up: Black iPhone 3G 8gb
    Carrier
    T-Mobile & unfortunately AT&T
    Feedback Score
    i bet you are using WEP security encryption (which itself isnt secure). Some devices allows the passphrase and some need the full WEP key (which is like 24 characters long). Switch to WPA I or II to be more secure and have a much easier password to remember.

WEP can be cracked in under 30 seconds.

Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    The only problem is, my device doesn't offer WPA I or II, only WEP security.

Or at least I don't see that option when setting up the wifi hotspot.

Phone
    Carrier
    Feedback Score
    what router do you have. Unless its ancient, almost all routers have at least WPA

Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    It's a linksys wireless B access point. On the back it says WAP-11, but in the setup, the only options listed are WEP- or nothing. Confusing. Could this be because it's an access point and not an actual router?

Phone
    iPhone3Gs - 32GB Black
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    sounds like you need a new router. either that or wait till apple fixes its wifi issues. I ened up getting a new N router for $35 on newegg and it works great.

Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Well my actual router isn't wireless. But I have a wireless access point that allows me to connect wireless devices to the wired router. Until now, every wireless device I've connected has worked just fine. Could it possibly be that iphones just don't work with wireless access points?

Phone
    Carrier
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zigmont
    It's a linksys wireless B access point. On the back it says WAP-11, but in the setup, the only options listed are WEP- or nothing. Confusing. Could this be because it's an access point and not an actual router?
    only wireless b? :/

yea thats pretty ancient. I HIGHLY suggest you buy a new wireless-g router, they run from 25-50. I saw a bunch of refurbs on ebay's daily deal awhile back: http://deals.ebay.com/deals

You can get a new linksys for $45 with free ship:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833124284

Buy a linksys for ease, you wont need to hack it with special firmware if all you use it for is to connect computers to it.

Phone
    Carrier
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zigmont
    Well my actual router isn't wireless. But I have a wireless access point that allows me to connect wireless devices to the wired router. Until now, every wireless device I've connected has worked just fine. Could it possibly be that iphones just don't work with wireless access points?
    that might be it, I would just buy a new router and condense everything into one device. It makes it more organized.

Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Amazon's got it for 45:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...l/-/B0014J07R2

Question:

Can I use this router for wired connections as well? Stuff that's got to be wireless (iphone, netflix box) will of course use a wireless connection, but since my actual computer will be right next to the router, I'd like to continue connecting via ethernet cable. Is this possible with a wireless router, or is it wireless connection only?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast