Thread: Mototalk/Directalk brainstorm...

Carriers
    Page Plus/Verizon
    Feedback Score

Mototalk/Directalk brainstorm...

This idea just crossed my mind earlier. Maybe someone with more experience with the hardware involved can give some enlightenment on this possibility.

Using the Mototalk feature a little bit recently I come to realise it is a bit cumbersome to switch back and forth between it and network modes. And I dunno if this is just me, but the claimed 'few seconds' transition time is hardly the norm and usually takes something like 10-15 seconds to completely switch from hitting the 'switch to mototalk' menu entry and actually getting to an idle screen ready to chirp.

My idea is why can't they integrate it into the same mode? If the phone goes out of service, automatically start monitoring for incoming mototalk signals while it continues to scan for network service (This is the big aha. Dunno if the radio hardware is capable of multi-tasking in this manner). If it finds network service, obviously it switches back full mode. And to accomodate the opposite end of the spectrum, have an extra option akin to the airplane mode which can do 'all off, all on (which would prefer network service), network off, and mototalk off'.

Probably wishful thinking and the hardware is far from capable of such a thing. But worth the thought.

Carrier
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    do many people actually use directalk/mototalk? i've never been interested in using it.

Phones
    iphone, i365 + rubber ducky, LG 290C, EVO
    iphone4
    LG 290C
    Carriers
    AT&T
    |NEXTEL|
    Feedback Score

Exclamation direct talk

I love direct talk. I use it when im out exploring the pine barrens with my old man. nextel has no service in that part of new jersey and the direct talk is faster than making calls with my main phone(SPRINT CDMA) which in most cases is roaming on verizon and signal is kinda sporadic. its a usefull feature and I found in the flat terrain out there it works out well for me. does anybody know if any of moto's regular handheld walkie talkies are compatible with direct talk??

Phones
    Flogging an i880 w/no camera - and I like it!
    Analog PTT - no dropped calls!
    Carrier
    Nextel
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by belial6
    does anybody know if any of moto's regular handheld walkie talkies are compatible with direct talk??
    Nope - Direct Talk is limited to just iDEN phones. Motorola does make a line of Frequency Hopping Spread Spectrum 900MHz DTR digital radios, but they don't work with Direct Talk.

Phones
    Nokia N900
    iPhone 4s
    Nokia N900
    Carriers
    Verizon
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyinH-ville
    Nope - Direct Talk is limited to just iDEN phones. Motorola does make a line of Frequency Hopping Spread Spectrum 900MHz DTR digital radios, but they don't work with Direct Talk.
    I just saw something the other day about MOTOTRBO digital trunking and 800/900MHz being available in Q3 '10 but that might be just Next Generation MTR. I can't find it right now.

Phones
    Carrier
    Nextel
    Feedback Score
    MotoTrbo is TDMA on 12.5 kHz channels. They have just announced a new software version that will allow for single site digital trunking.

As far as I know - MotoTrbo is currently available in just standard VHF & UHF bandsplits. I wouldn't be surprised if they open it up for other bands. It's the only format they have that fits the 6.25 bandwidth mandate.

I know they've said they plan to release an upgrade for MTR2000 repeaters to allow for digital transmission on the MotoTrbo format, but not sure when it's coming. I'm pretty sure the MTR2000 is available for 800 & 900 Mhz conventional channels now.

Carrier
    Sprint
    Feedback Score

andy, you forgot to mention, mototalk is not only limited to iDEN phones, but also limited to Motorola phones too. blackberry phones don't have it.

Phones
    Motorola i885
    Motorola i670
    Motorola GTX (Trunking Radio with Interconnect)
    Carriers
    Telus MIKE iDEN;
    Feedback Score
    Well, I'm thinking it's because of the method the Talk Around works. Normally the phone would be operating as a "trunked system" with repeater-radio interactions. But if you switch to Talk Around, in the same way Talk Around works on Motorola's trunking radios, you won't be able to use the trunked system at the same time because of frequency differences. iDEN talk around is similar, but since its Talk Around is an ad-hoc system, every phone has to act as its own 'trunking controller' to the other phone. You can tell because it won't let you key down unless there is another phone in range, it won't just send out bits into space.

So it wouldn't just be able to run both modes at the same time. Now on most Moto trunked radios the switching is much faster (like a channel change) and doesn't require rebooting the radio as it does on iDEN, but even if you go out of repeater range you just get a talk prohibit tone (or "bah-bah-bah") when you key down until you manually change it to a conventional mode if it is programmed into the radio. I don't even think Failsoft mode can be made to automatically switch in this situation.

From a user interface standpoint though, I think some users would get a bit confused if it just switched automatically. Doing it manually means that you know what's going on and that it is specifically in TA mode (it can offer you a state reminder tone periodically).

And yeah, I WISH it would work with the DTRs, it seems like it could. If you've seen a DTR radio you'll notice certain similarities with the iDEN platform. MotoTRBO is totally different and won't work unless you specifically bridge them together with another piece of hardware.

Phones
    Carrier
    Nextel
    Feedback Score
    iDEN's "talkaround" (MotoTalk/Direct Talk) is not the same as regular Motorola talkaround. It does not use trunking frequencies, and it does not use any of the protocol of the iDEN system.

I'm familiar with most of what you're talking about - but I can't understand why you are comparing iDen's off-network FHSS 900 Mhz with Motorola trunking & failsoft.

Go check out radioreference.com if you want to read what real radioheads have done.

Direct Talk deconstructed

Phones
    Motorola i885
    Motorola i670
    Motorola GTX (Trunking Radio with Interconnect)
    Carriers
    Telus MIKE iDEN;
    Feedback Score
    iDEN's "talkaround" (MotoTalk/Direct Talk) is not the same as regular Motorola talkaround. It does not use trunking frequencies, and it does not use any of the protocol of the iDEN system.
    I know that entirely.
    I'm familiar with most of what you're talking about - but I can't understand why you are comparing iDen's off-network FHSS 900 Mhz with Motorola trunking & failsoft.
    I'm comparing it because it is the same concept. Although the technical backend is different, the concept of bypassing the repeater (both valid in pure trunking and iDEN digital systems) is the same.
    The original topic of this thread was suggesting that both off-network and on-network operation could be achievable in the same device operating mode (rather than switching), and I was comparing because you can't do that even on trunking radios.

Go check out radioreference.com if you want to read what real radioheads have done.

Direct Talk deconstructed
    'kay.