Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: We Cannot Authenticate Your Phone?

Phone
    Apple Iphone 5
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

We Cannot Authenticate Your Phone?

On one of my lines, when I try to make a call, it says we cannot authenticate your phone. I also cant send any messages. I can receive messages and calls. I tried removing the battery, resetting the phone, *228 and it is still not working. I have four bars for 1x and ev and the battery is fully charged. The phone is an env 2 and it is only happening on that line. Does anyone know what I should do? I already called verizon and they were not able to do anything!

Phones
    In Use: DEVOUR
    Temporarily back-seated: Droid
    &: Omni II, Tour, Storm, Pearl, E816, Maxx, Voyager, Dare, Flipshot, EnV, Alias, Q9m, Boulder + More
    Carrier
    Present: Verizon Wireless; Past: T-Mobile, Nextel, Sprint, Amp'd
    Feedback Score
    You called Verizon... so what did they say?
    Visit daveyp.net

Member of the:
    VZW CC

Favorite phones of all-time: -1) Droid Incredible, 0) Droid 1/X 1) BB Curve 8330, 2) Motorola E815, 3) LG enV vx9900, 4) Moto/Nextel i95cl

HoFo Feedback (6) 100%
    eBay Feedback 100%

Carrier
    VZW
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jmoney921
    On one of my lines, when I try to make a call, it says we cannot authenticate your phone. I also cant send any messages. I can receive messages and calls. I tried removing the battery, resetting the phone, *228 and it is still not working. I have four bars for 1x and ev and the battery is fully charged. The phone is an env 2 and it is only happening on that line. Does anyone know what I should do? I already called verizon and they were not able to do anything!
    This is the same problem I had. You either (a) didn't actually call or (b) your phone is turned off for some reason, whether it be a deliquent bill or something of that nature.

I called, they made a test call or two, and within 10 minutes, I was up and running again, and they knew exactly the problem.

Phones
    Blackberry Curve
    SMT 5800
    Blackberry Pearl
    Carriers
    Verizon
    Boost
    Feedback Score
    I agree with the last post, it sounds like you didn't call. I had this happen two days ago, and called. They walked me through manually programming the phone,and when that didnt help, they escalated me to Level 2 support, and they had me up and going within 10 minutes as well. I had switched phones while calling from the phone I had active on my line before I switched, and that caused an issue on VZW's side. They had no trouble fixing it.

Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    SSD needs to be updated. Call tech support, they update your auth in MTAS, and you're back working in 3 minutes.
    No longer a VZW employee, but still a good information source.
    -------------------------------------------------------
    CanAM:
    With all that money you save monthly with your Sprint plan, you should be able to order Hooked On Phonics - remember, the phone number to order this is 1-800-ABCDEFG.

Phones
    Chocolate 3
    EnV2
    VX8300
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Most of the other posters are correct. You have to call tech support. Unfortunately there is something funky with the Env2. It doesn't want to authenticate as easy as most other phones. My wife has been through a few of them, and each time it is the same thing, I end up being on with tech support for ten minutes, they hand me off to someone higher and I am with them for ten minutes and then they hand me off again and they finally fix it in 30 seconds. You will have to call them and they will have you type in these really long activation codes and some can only be done with the phone open and some have to be with the phone closed (or maybe the tech support was just dumb and didn't know and was just trying anything they could to get it to work). But they will get it to work. Unless the phone was stolen or something, then they won't activate it for you (obviouslY).

Phones
    N/A
    Droid 2 Global
    LG VX9800 "The V" (backup)
    Carriers
    Verizon Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    One other way to get this, I have a phone that can switch between NAM1 and NAM2, but this switching NAMs can confuse things too.. I'd get that error, and basically turn the phone off for a minute or two, have usually another call or two fail then it'd kick back in and work again. (I set it up so US Cellular was programmed in on NAM2; it didn't end up being useful though, my few "trouble spots" (indooors) are bad for both. )

Anyway I'm sure some step is to check that (if it even applies -- some phones don't have this menu to switch NAMs any more) before you're reprogramming your phone and such.

Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    The problem is SSD data is not authenticating between the phone and the network. It is a very simple fix by a tech support rep who knows what they are doing by upgrading the authentication in MTAS. This was a common issue and the couple of years working in data tech support at VZW had me fixing this issue in 30 seconds flat.

That is the problem. that is the solution. Anything else that fixes it is luck. Sorry.

Feedback Score
    Verizon should have more service related options in its phone's firmware, like Sprint does. I mean I've handled Sprint phones that have in-menu options such as Update PRL, Update Service Profiles, and Update Network Settings. I'm pretty sure one of the latter two fixes any SSD problems and other things like that. Why is Verizon so behind in implementing features like these?

Feedback Score
    Any easy fix for this issue is doing an ESN change to another phone or dummy ESN and then changing back. That almost always fixes it.

Carrier
    VZW
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by vzwinagent
    Any easy fix for this issue is doing an ESN change to another phone or dummy ESN and then changing back. That almost always fixes it.
    That's not an easy fix. The easy fix is sucking up 10 minutes of your time, and let VZW TS take care of it.

Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by UrbanBounca
    That's not an easy fix. The easy fix is sucking up 10 minutes of your time, and let VZW TS take care of it.
    Its actually a 2 minute fix if you get a competent tech support rep on the phone. I used to have these issues fixed by the time the customer care agent would tell me the issue and when the customer got on the phone, guess what, update the SSD auth and it works.

Not sure why nobody seems to believe me. I worked for a couple of years in data tech support. Now I am a marketing dept whore

Phones
    VZW Customer Council Member
    Droid Bionic, HTC Tbolt&Inc, Droid X,O2,Droid,BB Tour/Storm/Pearl,GzOne, LG Dare/enV/Choc,HTC Touch,
    Sam BJ2/Juke/Alias,iPhone 2G, MiFi, Moto Q9m/v3xx/168i
    Carriers
    Verizon,
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by vzwinagent
    +1, I was going to suggest this if one has an extra Verizon phone on the shelf.

edit to add: and I have no doubt a tech could fix it, I just personally prefer to try to solve it on my own. If the ESN switchout and switchback doesn't work, then call tech support and they'll get you going.

Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pgens
    +1, I was going to suggest this if one has an extra Verizon phone on the shelf.

edit to add: and I have no doubt a tech could fix it, I just personally prefer to try to solve it on my own. If the ESN switchout and switchback doesn't work, then call tech support and they'll get you going.
    for an authentication failure, shared secret data (SSD) needs to be updated between the phone and the network. Changing esns back and forth is a cure for a DMU key reset which would prevent you from accessing data services.

I have taken many calls for auth problems and have resolved most in 3 minutes and the reason it took so long is because care reps took too long to get the customer over.

What do I know. I spent a few years in tier 3 data tech support....sigh.

Phones
    LG AX4270
    LG AX4270 (Backup)
    LG AX390 (Backup)
    Carrier
    ALLTEL Divested (SID 114, NID 7) & Also Force Roam On Verizon (SID 139, NID 103)
    Feedback Score
    To try to fix authentication issues on Verizon, try dialing #2539 (AKEY)
    for the authentication key update, it may work.
    CDMA....Coming soon to a tower near you!
    Alltel user since September 5, 2006 - I'm proud to still be with them !!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast