Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: SafeLink wireless - most rugged compatible phones?

Feedback Score

SafeLink wireless - most rugged compatible phones?

My friend has SafeLink (welfare cell phone)

It is pretty junky. I want to buy him a better phone. What is the must rugged phone that will work with the SafeLink SIM?

I know it must be a Tracfone.

Will the SIM work in any Tracfone?

Carriers
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mastif

It is pretty junky. I want to buy him a better phone. What is the must rugged phone that will work with the SafeLink SIM?

A SIM`s card becomes locked to a Tracfone as soon as the phone is powered up. It is then unusable in any other phone or with any other provider.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracfancier
    A SIM`s card becomes locked to a Tracfone as soon as the phone is powered up. It is then unusable in any other phone or with any other provider.

Thanks for the reply Fancier. You are right, but I found another way according to SafeLink.

I called SafeLink and they said that if I buy another Tracfone, he could have his number switched over.

I did a lot of research on phones and it seems like the Nokia 1112 is the most rugged.

Phones
    Nokia 2600,6010,3585i
    LG Optimus L9,iPhone 3GS & 4S,Palm Pixi Plus
    Samsung SGH-A437,SCH-i730,SGH-T419
    Carrier
    GoPhonex3 PagePlusx2 TMo2Go Tracfone Ptel
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for the reply Fancier. You are right, but I found another way according to SafeLink.

I called SafeLink and they said that if I buy another Tracfone, he could have his number switched over.

I did a lot of research on phones and it seems like the Nokia 1112 is the most rugged.
    Make sure that by doing so you dont get them inadvertently out of the SafeLink program.
    Current:Former:
    Hi, my name is Jairzinho and I've been Wireless Contract-free for 14 years!

Feedback Score
    Make sure that by doing so you dont get them inadvertently out of the SafeLink program.
    I could also see that happen. And I would not even remotely trust what CS says about this, as I am sure CS has no clue.
    So bottom line: I'd be very careful doing that, unless you find reports of several others who have done this successfully.

Phones
    w370
    LG 200C
    Kyocera 126C
    Carriers
    Net10
    Feedback Score
    When the program first appeared it was posted by Safelink that if you were an existing Tracfone customer you could keep your existing phone and phone number and would receive a credit instead of a new phone. That has since changed. You have to get a new phone from them when you start the program. The terms say the phone comes preactivated.

Do I have to buy a phone?
    No. Provided you qualify for SafeLink Wireless service, we will send you a phone that will allow you to enjoy the service at NO COST.
    I already have a wireless phone. Can I activate it when I sign up for SafeLink Wireless service?
    No, you cannot. Upon qualification, customers will receive a free SafeLink Wireless phone enabled for use with this program.

Read the T&C, Safelink phones get extra minutes for adding certain Tracfone airtime cards and you can add dmfl to the Safelink phones which will double any airtime that you purchase.

AIRTIME CARDS.
    SAFELINK WIRELESS customers may purchase and use for their SAFELINK WIRELESS handset any TracFone Wireless airtime cards, including Double Minute Airtime cards. Each TracFone Wireless airtime card comes with a number of minutes and a service period that begins to run from the day you add airtime to your SAFELINK WIRELESS phone.

The free monthly allotment of minutes received by the SAFELINK WIRELESS customer while enrolled in the Double Minutes for Life program will not double with the purchase and addition of any airtime cards.
    NOTE: On the 60, 90 and 120 minute TracFone Wireless airtime cards, SafeLink Wireless customers will receive an additional 40, 35 and 30 minutes respectively, and these minutes do not double with any TracFone Wireless Double Minute airtime cards.

For each TracFone Wireless airtime card purchased and used on a SAFELINK WIRELESS handset, the SAFELINK WIRELESS customer will receive the following:

Card Minutes Service Days Other
    60 100 90 N/A
    90 125 90 N/A
    120 150 90 N/A
    200 200 90 N/A
    450 450 90 N/A
    One Year Service Card 250 or 400 365 N/A
    One Year plus Double Minute 800 365 Double minutes for life of single handset after you purchase and add this card; not transferable to another handset even if phone is damaged, lost or stolen. The minutes that come with this card will not double. Free monthly minutes to SAFELINK WIRELESS customers do not double.

Double Minute Card 0 0 Double minutes for life of single handset after you purchase and add this card; not transferable to another handset even if phone is damaged, lost or stolen. The minutes that come with this card will not double. Free monthly minutes to SAFELINK WIRELESS customers do not double.

You may also purchase SAFELINK WIRELESS airtime cards at selected retail stores. SAFELINK WIRELESS customers will receive the following:

Card Minutes Service Days Other
    15 15 0 N/A
    25 25 0 N/A
    50 50 0 N/A

For each additional TracFone airtime card you add your Service End Date will be extended by the number of days specified on the card or cash register receipt, without limitation. "Service End Date" is the last day of your service period. Airtime minutes added to your SAFELINK WIRELESS handset do not expire with active service and at least one Transaction during a consecutive sixty day period. A "Transaction" shall be defined as any one of the following (i) your phone's receipt of the monthly allotment of airtime or the purchase; (ii) addition of either a TracFone Wireless or SAFELINK WIRELESS airtime card or (ii) usage of your phone (making a call, text or data usage). Airtime minutes do not have any cash value. Promotional, bonus and other non-purchased airtime minutes will not double. The purchase of any airtime card is non-refundable. Airtime cards, airtime rate plans, and card denominations are subject to change without prior notice.
    There's no present. There's only the immediate future and the recent past.George Carlin

Phone
    LG VX5500 X2 (PPC) - LG800g (TF) - Nokia 6030 (T-Mo)
    Carriers
    Page Plus X2 (Verizon) - T-Mo2Go(GR) -
    Feedback Score

I would expect a "welfare cell phone" to be "junky". If a person who qualifies for SafeLink can afford to "upgrade" perhaps they should not qualify at all.

Phones
    w370
    LG 200C
    Kyocera 126C
    Carriers
    Net10
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 25jive1
    I would expect a "welfare cell phone" to be "junky". If a person who qualifies for SafeLink can afford to "upgrade" perhaps they should not qualify at all.
    The income qualifications are less than 135% fo the Federal Poverty Guidelines. For a family of 4 that equates to $29,768. That is $572.46 per week gross wages or $14.31 per hour (40 hour week). That would hardly be considered welfare to most people, so being able to afford $15 to upgrade phones should not disqualify one from the program.

You can even qualify in most states if your income is above 135% of the FPG if you get SSI, Medicaid, School free lunch program and others.

I bet most 4 member households with incomes below $30k don't even know they could get a monthly credit on their landline. Not only do you get the monthly credit of $10 to $14, but you don't have to pay the USF fees that fund the program.

I wonder if you can call CS and transfer minutes from an existing phone to a Safelink phone?
    Anyone have a serial number for a Safelink phone they want to play with to see what the web site will allow?

For most people it would be a better value to get the credit on their landline. For example in my state they only give 42 mintues a month. So one years of benefits form Safelink is 12 months of service and 504 minutes. One year of benefits on my landline is $132 (& no USF fees). I can get much more than 12 months and 504 minutes form a prepaid provider for less than $132 a year.
    Last edited by jimates; 07-10-2009 at 10:59 PM.

Phones
    Samsung T201G
    Motorola W376
    BlackBerry 8703e
    Carriers
    AT&T (Tracfone / Net10)
    Feedback Score
    Jimates -- good point, but one caveat. In Michigan in order to get the discount on a landline you must block long distance calls from being charged to your phone account (my sister is enrolled in the landline program). That means she cannot make long distance calls by direct dial (without using one of those prepaid calling cards). Since the Tracfone program does not come with such strings, it is a better deal for most (if my sister made many long distance calls I would switch her to the Tracfone program rather than have her live with no long distance service on her landline). To even add internet to her phone account she had to jump hoops because she gets the landine discount, and that is only $15 a month (BTW if you can get AT&T high speed, it works extremely well)!

Phones
    w370
    LG 200C
    Kyocera 126C
    Carriers
    Net10
    Feedback Score
    Yea, restrictions vary from state to state. Pa has 2 different Lifeline programs, I don't know if all states do. In Pa. the Lifeline program restricts optional services also and the income qualification is a max of 100% of the FPG. The monthly benefit is just over $11.00.
    The Lifeline 135 program does not have the restrictions of the optional services and the income limit is 135% of the FPG but it only pays a little less than $8 per month.

Carrier
    Virgin Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Has anyone found out about this for sure? My grandma got a safelink phone and I already have a better unused tracfone and net10 phone with a slide out keypad that I would like to give her. Is it possible to put the safelink service on a different phone?

Phones
    SAM T404g
    MOT W490,Nokia 6030
    SE TM506,LG VX5600
    Carrier
    T-MO/TRAC/VZ
    Feedback Score
    Just call Safelink CS in Fl. They are more efficient then the regular Tracfone/NET10 CS. I called them months ago being curious about this same subject on similar posts. I was told you can use another Tracfone but not NET10. But you can't just change sims. You have to contact them. I'm not sure what they do on their end,send you a different sim or do it right from the office? There are other HOFO members that know a lot more then I do about this subject that posted on this subject earlier.

Phones
    N/A
    Pantech Jest
    Carriers
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    If it's a new Tracfone with its matching unused SIM in it, Safelink CS should be able to activate it onto the Safelink line. This is how to replace (after using the one free low-end model per year that's part of the plan) or upgrade a Safelink phone.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by timdennis View Post
    Just call Safelink CS in Fl. They are more efficient then the regular Tracfone/NET10 CS. I called them months ago being curious about this same subject on similar posts. I was told you can use another Tracfone but not NET10. But you can't just change sims. You have to contact them. I'm not sure what they do on their end,send you a different sim or do it right from the office? There are other HOFO members that know a lot more then I do about this subject that posted on this subject earlier.
    I've had SafeLink since Nov 2008.

In Texas, SafeLink operates on Net10 phones. Everywhere else it operates on Tracfone phones.

If you want to upgrade the phone, you just call SafeLink CS, not Trac or Net10 CS, and they send you a new sim. When you get it, just call SafeLink CS again and they talk you through it. I don't know what they do for a cdma phone.

Any Tracfone minutes that were already on the Tracfone that you are upgrading to (or Net10 in Texas) will remain on the phone and the SafeLink minutes get added to it.

Phones
    SAM T404g
    MOT W490,Nokia 6030
    SE TM506,LG VX5600
    Carrier
    T-MO/TRAC/VZ
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by annepani View Post
    I've had SafeLink since Nov 2008.

In Texas, SafeLink operates on Net10 phones. Everywhere else it operates on Tracfone phones.
    Thats interesting about the NET10 phones in Texas. I live in PA and was unaware of that. It gives people in TX a lot of more advanced phones to pick from.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast