Thread: Verizon using 4GV NB codec?

Feedback Score

Verizon using 4GV NB codec?

Well I was having more muffled call quality compared to Sprint PCS and I think I found the problem. I tried forcing EVRC and 13k QCELP.

I was looking at the field test screen during a call and instead of saying EVRC in the service option it says 4GV.

What is the 4GV codec and why does it not sound as clear as EVRC?

Phones
    iPhone 5
    iPhone 5
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    It's a core voice codec suite that enables network operators to dynamically prioritize voice quality and network capacity. 4GV offers enhanced network capacity by up to 40 percent with only a software upgrade.

Feedback Score
    Is this why it sounds more muffled than EVRC? I notice if I force my phone to P_REV 4 IS-95B it will say D instead of 1x and I still have EVDO but it uses EVRC and calls sound cleaner.

Phones
    Verizon iPhone
    Samsung DROID Charge
    Motorola Droid X
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Yes, but it shouldn't sound THAT much different than EVRC.

IS-95B will display D because it is the CDMA Revision before 1xRTT became available, as such it will not be capable of 1X(RTT) data. EVDO is a separate data carrier, so it should still be available for use on the handset.

If you want to keep P_REV 4 forced, there really isn't a downside except really slow data and possibly no data (depending on the carrier you're on) if EVDO is not available.
    -Sterling

Phones
    LG Clout, Moto DROID Bionic, DROID RAZR, Galaxy Nexus, Rezound, V9m, VX8000
    Motorola StarTac ST7868W (no longer used)
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I've seen the 4GV listed in phone's service menus since last year, but it was my understanding it wasn't used.
    I guess they have started to use it?
    => Read my reviews for the Motorola DROID MAXX, DROID Ultra, and DROID Mini.

=> VX8000 at Disney World:Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4.

Phones
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    It use to be that you could change between EVRC and 13K by just using the Voice_SO menu, but that is no longer the case.
    With the enV Touch (and enV3) in P_Rev 6 mode, it shows 4GV on the test screen with 1X, and in P_Rev 4 mode it shows EVRC and D.
    I made a few test calls with both, and can hear a slight difference between them. It sounds like 4GV is slightly more"digitized", almost like if you had an MP3 at a lower bit rate. EVRC was less digitized and more "human" sounding.
    But neither one had muffled call quality, both were the same loudness.

I guess there is no longer a way for EVRC to work with 1X?

Feedback Score
    Usually the towers decide what vocoder your phone uses so in many places, changing that setting has no effect anymore. In upstate NY, I am unable to go back to 13K, even if I set my phone to that vocoder. All calls will be made in EVRC-B. I haven't tried recently but I'm sure 4GV is what is being forced now.

Phones
    Verizon iPhone
    Samsung DROID Charge
    Motorola Droid X
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ParthG
    Usually the towers decide what vocoder your phone uses so in many places, changing that setting has no effect anymore. In upstate NY, I am unable to go back to 13K, even if I set my phone to that vocoder. All calls will be made in EVRC-B. I haven't tried recently but I'm sure 4GV is what is being forced now.
    EVRC-B and EVRC-WB are both 4GV.

Feedback Score
    hah.. I guess upstate NY has been using 4GV for quite a while then...

Feedback Score
    I wonder if they are running half rate mode at times here. You can tell a bit of difference, when you hear ringing it's more warbled. Sprint is still using EVRC only. Weird. I wonder what codec will be used on LTE. Hopefully none of that GSM AMR-Half Rate crap.

Phones
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SterlingJ85
    EVRC-B and EVRC-WB are both 4GV.
    I think EVRC-B is known as 4GV. There are two types of 4GV: Narrow Band (NB) and Wide Band (WB).
    I wonder if Verizon uses 4GV-NB or 4GV-WB.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by FAUguy
    I think EVRC-B is known as 4GV. There are two types of 4GV: Narrow Band (NB) and Wide Band (WB).
    I wonder if Verizon uses 4GV-NB or 4GV-WB.
    Pretty sure it's NB because can select from 4GV NB or EVRC or 13k. WB is not an option yet.

Phones
    N/A
    Droid 2 Global
    LG VX9800 "The V" (backup)
    Carriers
    Verizon Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    Yeah EVRC-WB is for allowing 8khz voice, versus the usual 4khz. I would guess the phone mic and speaker won't even have an 8khz dynamic range

Feedback Score
    Ok so there is no other downside except possibly losing data in some area's when forcing P_REV 4 Digital and EVRC or 13k? Voice quality is noticeably better, maybe they will add more capacity soon. Maybe a Network Extender would help too. I won't get in trouble by VZW either will I for forcing that?

Phones
    N/A
    Droid 2 Global
    LG VX9800 "The V" (backup)
    Carriers
    Verizon Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    The Network Expander does not hand off cleanly (it'll drop calls as you go out of range of the extender.) It's really more for filling in coverage holes. But, you know, I can't see why it wouldn't work.

No you won't get in trouble w/ Verizon. Perhaps someone in engineering looks at codec stats (per site, not per phone) for capacity planning and such, but Verizon, Sprint, AT&T, and T-Mobile all have phones where the codec can be changed and I've never heard of anyone hearing a peep over changing it.