Thread: Looking for a zip code to activate on US Cellular

Phone
    iPhone 4, LG Vortex
    Feedback Score

Looking for a zip code to activate on US Cellular

I'm in a cdma area where my zip code activates on Verizon. US Cellular has much better coverage here (NW Illinois, SW Wisconsin). I searched and found some older posts with zip from Janesville WI area but it looks they've gone to GSM4. I don't care what area code/phone number I end up with as long as its USCC.
    Thanks!

Phone
    LG VX5500 X2 (PPC) - LG800g (TF) - Nokia 6030 (T-Mo)
    Carriers
    Page Plus X2 (Verizon) - T-Mo2Go(GR) -
    Feedback Score
    Macon Missouri 63552

Phones
    att , nokia 1100, moto 376g
    iPhone 4s-64 + many others
    Carriers
    att, trac, pageplus
    Feedback Score
    kirksville mo 63501 moberly mo 65270
    trying to come up with better signature.......

Phones
    Samsung T201G
    Motorola W376
    BlackBerry 8703e
    Carriers
    AT&T (Tracfone / Net10)
    Feedback Score
    If you go ahead and activate on a Tracfone using the Verizon area, the phone should roam on USCC (or Sprint, for that matter). Tracfone has roaming agreements with most of the CDMA providers -- in fact, the best in the industry. That would get you a local phone number and get you what you want. Please note that you need a phone that has been made in the last year or two to avoid extra roaming charges, as the older phones charged two units per roaming minute.

Phone
    iPhone 4, LG Vortex
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for the MO zip codes. I could see from comparing coverage maps that there were probably some areas there that were US Cell only, good to have confirmation.

Phone
    iPhone 4, LG Vortex
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mharris127
    If you go ahead and activate on a Tracfone using the Verizon area, the phone should roam on USCC (or Sprint, for that matter). Tracfone has roaming agreements with most of the CDMA providers -- in fact, the best in the industry. That would get you a local phone number and get you what you want. Please note that you need a phone that has been made in the last year or two to avoid extra roaming charges, as the older phones charged two units per roaming minute.
    The phone should roam but in some areas it doesn't. This is a sparsely populated rural area with spotty coverage by most carriers except for USCC who dominates the wireless market locally. One example, a small town nearby had zero cell coverage until two years ago USCC put up a tower to cover them. When I go there I'd expect my Net10 phone on Verizon to roam onto USCC's tower but it doesn't. My phone is updated with the latest PRL. One possibility is that the PRLs that Net10/Trac use on Verizon are more limited than Verizon postpaid, or maybe they are outdated and Trac doesn't get the latest updates as used on VZW postpaid. I know from googling that my PRL, 59129, is common for Net10/Trac but it doesn't resemble the PRL numbers used on VZW postpaid.

I agree that Net10/Trac coverage is great. I keep a Net10 cdma on VZW and a gsm on AT&T, and can travel pretty much anywhere and get coverage. Also have 2 phones on Page Plus. I have an assortment of expired net10 phones so I thought it would be interesting to put one on USCC and see how it works in some of the black holes here.

Carriers
    Net 10 (U S Cellular)
    Page Plus (Verizon)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin28
    I'm in a cdma area where my zip code activates on Verizon. US Cellular has much better coverage here (NW Illinois, SW Wisconsin). I searched and found some older posts with zip from Janesville WI area but it looks they've gone to GSM4. I don't care what area code/phone number I end up with as long as its USCC.

Thanks!
    Janesville Wi 53545 will give you USCC The Shopko stores in 53511 and 53545 sell GSM and CDMA...

Phones
    Samsung T201G
    Motorola W376
    BlackBerry 8703e
    Carriers
    AT&T (Tracfone / Net10)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin28
    The phone should roam but in some areas it doesn't. This is a sparsely populated rural area with spotty coverage by most carriers except for USCC who dominates the wireless market locally. One example, a small town nearby had zero cell coverage until two years ago USCC put up a tower to cover them. When I go there I'd expect my Net10 phone on Verizon to roam onto USCC's tower but it doesn't. My phone is updated with the latest PRL. One possibility is that the PRLs that Net10/Trac use on Verizon are more limited than Verizon postpaid, or maybe they are outdated and Trac doesn't get the latest updates as used on VZW postpaid. I know from googling that my PRL, 59129, is common for Net10/Trac but it doesn't resemble the PRL numbers used on VZW postpaid.

I agree that Net10/Trac coverage is great. I keep a Net10 cdma on VZW and a gsm on AT&T, and can travel pretty much anywhere and get coverage. Also have 2 phones on Page Plus. I have an assortment of expired net10 phones so I thought it would be interesting to put one on USCC and see how it works in some of the black holes here.

That one perplexes me, as I have found that Tracfone's roaming is the best of any phone around. However, I don't travel in WI or IL, so I guess I cannot give more insight on the problem. Others on here have said that they even roam on the small one-horse carriers out west that no other major provider can use (although I bet Tracfone pays out the nose for that service). Note that USCC is supposed to be CDMA in most areas so the Net10 phones may not work, as most of them are GSM. I would try to get hold of a Tracfone Nokia 2126 or 2285 (or the Kyocera 126) off of eBay for the experiment, and only put $20 on the phone (try bonus code 71066 for 30 extra minutes, I would give you a 60 minute one but I have been told that it is expired), as a phone with a severely out of area number may be almost useless to you other than for checking coverage. If you find that you are using that phone a lot, then go ahead and buy a Net10 CDMA phone (two are sold).