Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Watch out - telemarketers (seems to have started today)

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    179
    Feedback Score
    0

    Watch out - telemarketers (seems to have started today)

    Just got a call from 402-982-0847. I did not pick up, but a quick web search revealed that this is a telemarketing call of some sort, and it appears that they just started calling cell phones like crazy today. Some people have been called multiple times.

    So watch out and don't pick up!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    NorthWestern PA
    Posts
    624
    Phone
    Motorola V176, LG600g, LG3280
    Carrier
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by FT_VZW
    Just got a call from 402-982-0847. I did not pick up, but a quick web search revealed that this is a telemarketing call of some sort, and it appears that they just started calling cell phones like crazy today. Some people have been called multiple times.

    So watch out and don't pick up!
    402-982-0847
    Carrier: CITISTREAM COMMUNICATIONS, INC. - NE
    Exchange location: OMAHA, NE
    Area code description: E Nebraska: Omaha, Lincoln

    You can contact the carrier and lodge a complaint against that number.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,302
    Phone
    Droid Incredible 2
    Carriers
    Page Plus
    Lycamobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    They're probably spoofing the caller ID. I've gotten a number of illegal telemarketing calls on my cell, and the number changes every time.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    3,696
    Phones
    Samsung T201G
    Motorola W376
    BlackBerry 8703e
    Carriers
    AT&T (Tracfone / Net10)
    Feedback Score
    0
    For a while this year I kept getting calls about extended car warranties (as well as another poster), they almost always came in as private number. They were annoying to say the least, and cost me minutes as they would always leave some sort of pre-recorded message.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    185
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by mharris127
    For a while this year I kept getting calls about extended car warranties (as well as another poster), they almost always came in as private number. They were annoying to say the least, and cost me minutes as they would always leave some sort of pre-recorded message.
    Those bums call everyone.
    http://schumer.senate.gov/new_websit....cfm?id=312841

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Twin Cities
    Posts
    3,952
    Carrier
    I <3 Verizon!
    Feedback Score
    0
    They left me an automated voicemail, they were trying to sell some form of insurance from what I could ascertain.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    718
    Phones
    A lot of them
    iPhone 5S with BBM Installed (AT&T)
    iPhone 5 (Sprint)
    Carriers
    AT&T
    Alltel converted to Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    the calls I get on my AT&T phone are from 00000000 and they are trying to sell me health insurance that's government sponsored. I asked if it was free, they said no, I said then it's not really government sponsored!
    BlackBerry Pin: 7be6f3d8 New BBM App on iPhone 5S YAY!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    84
    Phones
    Palm Pre
    Instinct 2
    Blackberry Storm
    Carriers
    Eclipse Mobile
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    0

    Do Not Call Registry

    Instead of ignoring phone calls.

    Try adding yourself to the National Do Not Call Registry.
    its a "Opt-Out" alternative to ignoring.

    https://www.donotcall.gov/

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    NorthWestern PA
    Posts
    624
    Phone
    Motorola V176, LG600g, LG3280
    Carrier
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by RedHeadTwink
    the calls I get on my AT&T phone are from 00000000 and they are trying to sell me health insurance that's government sponsored. I asked if it was free, they said no, I said then it's not really government sponsored!
    And 00000000 is a spoofed (forged) number.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    BP subsidized Gulf Coast
    Posts
    4,733
    Carriers
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by RedHeadTwink
    the calls I get on my AT&T phone are from 00000000 and they are trying to sell me health insurance that's government sponsored. I asked if it was free, they said no, I said then it's not really government sponsored!
    Flushing your payments down the toilet would be a lot earier (no mailing hassle) and your health coverage would still remain the same. You could also sign up with http://stopscammingme.gov/.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,302
    Phone
    Droid Incredible 2
    Carriers
    Page Plus
    Lycamobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by EclipseMobile
    Instead of ignoring phone calls.

    Try adding yourself to the National Do Not Call Registry.
    its a "Opt-Out" alternative to ignoring.

    https://www.donotcall.gov/
    It's already illegal to make telemarketing calls to cell phones. Those who do so are breaking the law anyway and don't care about the illegal business. Make no mistake about it. Telemarketing call on your cell phone? It's a scammer.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Western Pa.
    Posts
    1,750
    Phones
    w370
    LG 200C
    Kyocera 126C
    Carriers
    Net10
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Macskeeball
    It's already illegal to make telemarketing calls to cell phones. Those who do so are breaking the law anyway and don't care about the illegal business. Make no mistake about it. Telemarketing call on your cell phone? It's a scammer.
    It is illegal to use an auto dialer to call cell phones (or any phone that costs for incoming calls), it is not illegal to dial each number individually by hand.
    There's no present. There's only the immediate future and the recent past.George Carlin

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    84
    Phones
    Palm Pre
    Instinct 2
    Blackberry Storm
    Carriers
    Eclipse Mobile
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    0

    Do Not Call....

    Quote Originally Posted by Macskeeball
    It's already illegal to make telemarketing calls to cell phones. Those who do so are breaking the law anyway and don't care about the illegal business. Make no mistake about it. Telemarketing call on your cell phone? It's a scammer.
    Of course, However... Just about the only recourse a consumer has is to subscribe to the National Do Not Call Registry. Or call 1-888-382-1222 from the phone number to be registered.

    Calling a telephone registered on the Do Not Call list can get a telemarketer a hefty fine of up to $500 for each call, which triples to $1,500 if the telemarketer can be shown to have deliberately skirted state and federal anti-telemarketing laws.

    If anyone/everyone wants it to stop, they will take any action to assist this.
    so with the above said... visit https://www.donotcall.gov/default.aspx
    and make a complaint, eventually...it may atleast...help

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Over There!
    Posts
    18,833
    Carrier
    All of them.
    Feedback Score
    0
    Almost every spam or telemarketing call I get comes with a spoofed # like XXX-000-XXXX or 999-999-9999 or 000-000-0000 or 12345 etc etc.

    Got a call just a hour ago or so, wasn't going to answer it but decided to. Right when I picked up it said "please hold for the next representative" then they asked for someone else, lol
    Home ISP, RR-Ultimate WiFi, $90/mo | Verizon 4G, $30/mo Unlimited

    School, $5,000/semester | Work

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,302
    Phone
    Droid Incredible 2
    Carriers
    Page Plus
    Lycamobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    If you add the disconnected number tone to the beginning of a custom voicemail greeting, their machine will remove your number from their list. http://www.howardforums.com/showpost...5&postcount=10

    PS- Speaking of vmail greetings, please make yours concise. Most already know how to use vmail and just want to leave a message. Ex: "(Name) Please leave a message. *beep*" Even informative greetings can be short and to the point. Ex: "(Name) Text me, tell voicemail why you're calling, or just let me call you back. *beep*"
    Last edited by Slinkwyde; 07-31-2009 at 12:09 AM.

Bookmarks