Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: FYI: RedLaser -- Barcode scanner app.

Phone
    iPhone 4, 32gb
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

FYI: RedLaser -- Barcode scanner app.

Found this on Cydia yesterday. It will take a picture of a barcode and then retrieve the product info if it can off the web as well as some web prices (some prices are suspect) from Google.

This could prove useful when shopping products at stores (supermarkets?) while you're in the store looking at a product and wondering "I wonder if it's on sale cheaper somewhere else?" This could help. It's free in it's beta form.

The camera mode does fail depending on your steadiness but there's also keypad entry of the bar code numbers to ease that pain.

I scanned some OTC medicines and Gatorade and TurboTax and it was quick.

What else could it be useful for? Verifying counterfeit products, even though they'd probably clone the bar code! DUH!

Andy
    Last edited by BoomerangToss; 07-19-2009 at 09:36 PM.

Phones
    Apple iPhone 4 32GB
    Apple iPhone 4 32GB
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    RedLaser is an app form the App Store. If you found it on Cydia then it's probably pirated because some people are too cheap to pay $2 for it.
    We are [TheBORG]. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.
    * FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER! *
    "There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."

Phone
    iPhone 4, 32gb
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by [TheBORG]
    RedLaser is an app form the App Store. If you found it on Cydia then it's probably pirated because some people are too cheap to pay $2 for it.
    I guess it was beta on Cydia and full release at the App Store. I couldn't see Cydia tolerating such an unwelcome practice!

Andy

Phones
    Apple iPhone 4 32GB
    Apple iPhone 4 32GB
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BoomerangToss
    I guess it was beta on Cydia and full release at the App Store. I couldn't see Cydia tolerating such an unwelcome practice!

Andy
    There are pirated apps on Cydia. When I had my 3G & JBed I was able to find them pretty easily. Cydia is not Apple. Cydia allows you to add any source for apps, hacks, etc... They don't control content.

Phone
    iPhone 4, 32gb
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    There are pirated apps on Cydia. When I had my 3G & JBed I was able to find them pretty easily. Cydia is not Apple. Cydia allows you to add any source for apps, hacks, etc... They don't control content.

But... but... Both web sites are identical. How can you explain that???

Best,

Andy

Phone
    iphone 3GS
    Feedback Score
    The one in the app store is 2.0 and in Cydia is 2.2b (beta). Hardly anything pirated about that, its a beta.

Phone
    iPhone 4, 32gb
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by klurfdawg23
    The one in the app store is 2.0 and in Cydia is 2.2b (beta). Hardly anything pirated about that, its a beta.
    Thank you!

Andy

Carriers
    Rogers
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    lol I found this on cydia today as well.

It seems hit or miss. It finds some products for me but only once did it find prices.

Good in theory anyway.

I guess it just reads the number at the bottom of the scanner and searches google with it....

Then again Im in Canada.

Phones
    iP4s (32GB Black)
    iP4s (32GB Black)
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

C-H-I-L-L..........................It's not pirated; Verify your information before you accuse others of pirating.

I use the Cydia version, my wife uses the App Store Version. Results wise they are the exact same for us. The GUI's are slightly different. It works pretty well. Not 100% but good enough for our usage.

Phone
    Nexus 5
    Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuclearjack
    lol I found this on cydia today as well.

It seems hit or miss. It finds some products for me but only once did it find prices.

Good in theory anyway.

I guess it just reads the number at the bottom of the scanner and searches google with it....

Then again Im in Canada.
    It reads the bars...the whole reason barcodes exist is because they're easier for computers to process than printed digits.

I find it misreads the barcodes a lot, and sometimes when it gets it right it can't find anything.

Carriers
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Yea...it caught my eye last night, and I read the comment/reviews on it from Cydia. Checked it out (since it's free) and it's not entirely to bad. Could be useful. Although like mentioned above...it does seem to be hit or miss. It was in beta 2.1. But today they released an update to beta 2.2. (from my understanding, the 2.2 update is supposed to help with snapping a picture with slight movement) not to sure about the update really, so does anybody care to elaborate?

Carriers
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    ALSO...when you download this beta app through Cydia, the app icon displays BETA on it.

Phone
    Nexus 5
    Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by importcrew
    Yea...it caught my eye last night, and I read the comment/reviews on it from Cydia. Checked it out (since it's free) and it's not entirely to bad. Could be useful. Although like mentioned above...it does seem to be hit or miss. It was in beta 2.1. But today they released an update to beta 2.2. (from my understanding, the 2.2 update is supposed to help with snapping a picture with slight movement) not to sure about the update really, so does anybody care to elaborate?
    It's 2.3b in Cydia (although in settings it shows as 2.2.1), and that hasn't changed since I posted my comment yesterday.

There are two main problems with this app.

1. The database they use sucks. It has the aftermarket headlights I just bought for my car, but not a Microsoft keyboard?

2. It seems to have issues reading the barcode. It gets it right a lot, but if there is any kind of shadow, or the packaging is curved (bottles, etc.), it never gets it right. (Note: when I typed in this code manually, it did come up with "Smirnoff Premium Triple Distilled Vodka", so at least it was in their database)

They might be able to fix the second issue in software (maybe it's better on the 3G S, but if they're going to try to sell this to 3G owners...), but the first issue is out of their control, and the app just doesn't seem worth it until both issues are fixed.

Phones
    iPhone 3gS [32g] White
    iPhone 3g [8g] black (for sale)
    I wouldn't have an iphone if they couldn't be jailbroken!!
    Carrier
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    I have had excellent results with this app (Cydia Version). It even recognises Publix (Florida grocery store) brand soda cans.

I have no real need for this app, but. it is cool to play around with now and then.
    My HoFo Feedback

Palm Centro for sale <----Photos added Price drop <--- $75 shipped

Phones
    iPhone 3GS
    iPhone 3G
    Carrier
    ATT
    Feedback Score

Bar Code Scannner

Downloaded redlaser from cydia and it surprisingly works pretty good. FYI

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast