Thread: CDMA, TDMA, and GSM - How do I know which I have?

Feedback Score

CDMA, TDMA, and GSM - How do I know which I have?

CDMA, TDMA, iDEN, and GSM.

Is there a simple way to find out which technology my phone has?

Feedback Score
    Yes. On your Tracfone, open it up and check out the insides.If it has a sim, it is gsm. If it doesn't have a sim card, it is cdma. Tdma was phased out in the last few years and I don't think anyone uses it anymore in the US. Iden is only for Nextel/Boost, Southern Linc and a few other companies which has the famous Nextel type Push To Talk walkie talkie trunked radio feature. Most of the world uses gsm with a good sized minority using cdma.

Feedback Score
    CDMA.

My phone has no sim card. So I must have cdma.

If any phone does have a sim card, can it be used all over the world by just replacing the sim card with a new sim card from that country/area?

Feedback Score

Gsm

Well, normally yes if the phone that the sim is being put in is unlocked or had the carrier lock removed and has the right cellular frequencies for the area being used in. Quadband unlocked gsm phones can be used almost anywhere. Tribands can be adequate sometimes too. Some of the newer 3G/Gsm/wcdma phones can be used anywhere including places that couldn't be before like S.Korea and Japan.

In the case of Tracfone/Net10, they are locked up tighter then a drum. You can't use Trac/Net sims with any phone but the one they came with. They don't even work on other Trac/Net phones. And other brand/carrier sims can't be used in Trac/Net phones either unless they are unlocked and flashed.They have a rep for being really hard to flash/unlock or not being worth an unlocker's time unless they do a mass amount. Trac loves to sue these mass unlockers called phone traffickers (they buy Tracs by the hundreds or thousands for cheap from retail stores then unlock them en masse and export them overseas for resale.Really ticks Trac off...). It's easier to just get a Tmobile or Att phone and have them unlocked. I wouldn't bother trying to unlock a Trac/Net phone. It is not worth the headaches. It might be fun for some people, but for others, there are easier phones that are worth more to unlock , like the iphone.

Carrier
    All of them.
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gestaltent
    Most of the world uses gsm with a good sized minority using cdma.
    Yeah I can agree with the "most of the world" but in the US I think we have more people on CDMA over GSM. Verizon alone has over 80 million, then Sprint, US Cellular, Cricket, MetroPCS, (Plus all of its MVNO's like Virgin Mobile) and a few other CDMA's I am sure I am forgetting...

If he was asking about Tracfone, then he was talking about the US As far as I know Tracfone brand (and Net10, or even StraightTalk) dont exist outside of the US.

P.S. I have a bunch of old TDMA phones... US Cellular, Ameritech(AT&T), and Tracfone branded. Every time I go through old stuff I find a few. I am not sure what my first Tracfone was, I think it was the Nokia 918, then 252, 282 (IIRC it was like $150)....
    Home ISP, RR-Ultimate WiFi, $90/mo | Verizon 4G, $30/mo Unlimited

School, $5,000/semester | Work

Phones
    HTC Touch Pro
    Sanyo MM-9000
    Samsung Alias
    Carriers
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Just for the record, TDMA was officially phased out in February 2008. CDMA (in the USA) doesn't use SIM cards. GSM and iDen use SIM cards.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by unit731
    CDMA, TDMA, iDEN, and GSM.

Is there a simple way to find out which technology my phone has?

A web search (with your make and model name/number) on the internet, probably in the same fashion that you found this.
    Kyocera 2135 on Verizon Prepaid
    Nokia 3585i on Simple Freedom/Alltel U Prepaid/Page Plus
    LG AX-5000 on Alltel U Prepaid/Verizon Prepaid/Page Plus
    LG 420G on Tracfone
    LG 900G on Net10
    DROID by Motorola on Page Plus Cellular
    HTC DROID Incredible 2 on Verizon

Feedback Score
    Looks to me like his questions have more then been answered. lol

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Blue 023
    Looks to me like his questions have more then been answered. lol
    I don't think he wanted them answered so much as he wanted the attention, judging from a few of his other posts.