Thread: Straight Talk - Ported Numbers and Web Browsing?

Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

Straight Talk - Ported Numbers and Web Browsing?

From a bit of googling and information from customer service, it seems like many people are having trouble with web browsing after porting in a number from another service provider.

For me, it took approximately four days to port in a number (two business days + a weekend) from PagePlus since the porting departments on both sides don't work 24/7. However, when I tried to go online, all I'm presented with is an error page saying "tfdevice.home" cannot be accessed.

Meanwhile, I've been contacting customer service and getting them to escalate the call. Trying the troubleshooting suggestions of removing the battery while the phone is on, clearing browser data, retrying *228, and performing master resets have been no use. It's four days and there's still no resolution.

If anyone else also had this problem, how long did it take you to get it solved? What did you have to do? Is it just a "wait a couple days and see what happens" issue? Or, have they not solved your problem yet after a month?

Feedback Score
    I didn't even port a number and they have yet to get mine fixed.It has been 10 days now
    Last edited by guy2; 07-24-2009 at 07:39 PM.
    Caring Person

Carrier
    All of them.
    Feedback Score
    wow, 4 days to port a number in?!

On Tracfone ports were always quick, never more than 12 hours.

On Boost Mobile I never saw a faster port, literally just a few minutes. I didnt even believe her because I called 611, asked to port a number in, gave her my number I wanted to port and billing account info and she said "ok, its done, your all ported. Anything else I can do for you?" I was skeptical until I hung up and verified. True story.
    Home ISP, RR-Ultimate WiFi, $90/mo | Verizon 4G, $30/mo Unlimited

School, $5,000/semester | Work

Carrier
    I <3 Verizon!
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Extraordinary
    wow, 4 days to port a number in?!

On Tracfone ports were always quick, never more than 12 hours.

On Boost Mobile I never saw a faster port, literally just a few minutes. I didnt even believe her because I called 611, asked to port a number in, gave her my number I wanted to port and billing account info and she said "ok, its done, your all ported. Anything else I can do for you?" I was skeptical until I hung up and verified. True story.
    I just ported my number using the online setup with Boost. Literally five minutes later it was working BOTH ways. When I had ported from VZW to T-Mo, I had to carry both phones for about 12 hours as one would receive calls, but could no longer dial, and the other vice versa. I thought they only had a day or two to port, per the FCC. Maybe I'm wrong.

Feedback Score
    Hmmm. Looks like the web browsing thing is more then just a few isolated cases. Wonder if it is going to be a wider spread problem like how texting was with Boost iden , especially the first few months after launch of unlimited. Boost seems somewhat cleared up since then, , but I hope this Straight Talk Web thing doesn't become a "standard" issue.

Trying to jump on Boost iden at the beginning was exciting but got burned.

I think I'm just going to wait and see about Straight Talk. Page Plus is supposed to be launching comparably priced plans and features throughout August to September.

At least, it'll be a shorter wait then that so called six month (now more like four or so) ST trial...

Well, at least the porting sounds okay...

Phone
    E71
    Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Straight Talk customer service is clueless, a week ago I would get a message that I needed to purchase a new 30 days of service. This was a week before my original thirty days was up and I had over 600 minutes of time left and 950+ texts left. At that time I had not used any data time at all. This interruption of my service occurred over several days. Calls to customer service resulted in no resolve to the issue and no follow up calls as promised. So I tried the browser after powering the phone off and on for the first time after reading about peoples reported troubles, It worked fine and I was able to call, text and browse so I waited till my last day of service and purchased another $30 of service. Three hours later I once again was locked out of service with the now familiar message telling me I had to purchase minutes. I just purchased 1000 minutes and had only used 20 minutes total.... grrrr!

I called customer service from the cell phone and two hours later still had no solution. From the first day the phone had a poor sound quality (warbly) on the moto razr. In all my service deteriorated from the first day of service (day 1) to a complete failure of product and network support.

I sit here waiting for a new phone (est. 5-7days)

Customer service is the worst I have ever had from any mfg of any type of product. All those who have called the support number know what I mean by listening to the sounds of 5+ people in the room they work from in Asia. Must be a sweat shop environment with out cubicle dividers.

"Please hold while I update your account" is the only scripted reply they seem know.

Bottom line, I wait till the phone arrives and I am expecting a new 30 of service despite the CS rep telling me my time waiting is billable time.

Today I will call corporate office in Florida for some definitive answers to my issues as talking to the CS idiots in Asia was a complete and total waste of time.......... grrrr.

at wits end with STCS
    Just how cheap can it get?

Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Carriers
    H2O
    Feedback Score
    I have had Tracfone since last November and although it took patience to get everything right, it was easy and on auto pilot after that. I accidently fell across Straight Talk and wanted in. There was no way I could use 1000 min a month and it was probably only about $5 a month more than me buying 450 minutes for Tracfone every three months. I made my purchase of the Motorazr V3a on July 9th at Walmart along with the $30 card. Got home, acitvated it with a new number because I wanted to try out the service first. Mobile web did not work at first. After many escalations, it started working on July 22nd. I bought another $30 card and decided on July 24th to port my old number. The porting was complete on the 25th, but I had trouble activating ST with the new number. Again I was escalating. Called again yesterday because dialing *228 just wasn't doing it. The person I got in Manila seemed more knowledgeable than previous reps. She said the auto activating process was not working at this time and worked with me to manually activate the phone. I had to put in a lot of number, etc, it worked. I was ported and working. After the call, I noticed that the mobile web was not working again. Called back and started the escalation over. I predict they will again resolve my problem and it will take a number of days, but, when resolved I think it will stay okay until I decide to change phones or whatever. I do wish the V3a had a higher res camera and I wish they had 3g but that may be a long time coming.
    Mike

Feedback Score

tfdevice.home/

I'm also getting the message saying "tfdevice.home" cannot be accessed when trying to use the browser. I've been on the phone with them for at least an hour with numerous calls. Nothing has been resolved. My phone is the Straight Talk Motorazr V3a.

Feedback Score
    You could try porting to Page Plus, but right now they are having problems of their own. Basically, they are so flooded with calls that you can't get through. Their website has been off again on again too. But it has been proven that Straight Talk phones work on their system. Web can be used to, but you have to be somewhat technically versed. More then one Hofo has left ST for PPC and successfully got their Motorola working with full internet on PPC.

It might be a few weeks before their customer service isn't constantly swamped though.

In the meantime, look for the Tracfone thread on Call Executive Resolutions first, call them , be cool, don't overcall or abuse the privilege of that number access and maybe you will get things fixed.

Phones
    w370
    LG 200C
    Kyocera 126C
    Carriers
    Net10
    Feedback Score
    See Patrick's blog for a number direct to Elston at Tracfone.

Tracfone Support
    There's no present. There's only the immediate future and the recent past.George Carlin