Thread: Texting via wifi for free? HELP ME!

Phone
    iPhone 3GS 32gb Unlocked
    Carrier
    ·T···Mobile·
    Feedback Score

Texting via wifi for free? HELP ME!

OK... First let me say I'm a old timer here... and I just got my baby girl who is now 15 years of age, her first iPhone. I (we) did however put her on a pre-paid plan so I (we, her mom and I) could monitor her usage and not end up being the bad guy's who pull the trigger by taking it away in the event of abuse or lack of concentration - instead We'll just be the bad guy's who are not going to refill it... BUT THATS ANOTHER THREAD!

ANYWAY: So the prepaid from T-mobile is pretty sweet actually (IMO), unlimited T-mobile to T-mobile anytime, free nights (7pm to 7am) and all day weekends calls to any network all for $1.00 a day - and thats only on the days (see a 24 hour period) you use your phone. THATS PRETTY COOL. You don't use the phone in a 24 hour period, no fee at all. Use it for 1 second or 23 hours, $1.00 fee plus usage (see above) . There is No text/SMS/MMS or Internet included at all. (unless you go to a sidekick plan, which is another thread altogther) SO LETS MOVE ON.......

SMS is $0.05 (nickel) receiving, and $0.10 (dime) sending. MMS picture mail is $0.25 (quarter) no matter which.

Now, her iPhone is jailbroken and unlocked (obviously), so I wasn't sure where this question would be best put... Surely you guys on AT&T must also have a need and use for free wifi texting/sms'ing....?

What are the WORKING options for free texting over wifi without using the cellular network? Between home (wifi), school (wifi) and just about anywhere else wifi is available - That seems like the smartest move to make. USE FREE WIFI TEXTING APP. But, I can't seem to find ANY that work properly with the lack of a solid reliable and working PUSH system on a jailbroken iphones.

Help me HoFo'ers, you're my only hope!

Phone
    iPhone
    Carrier
    Bell
    Feedback Score
    I'm not a 15 year old girl, but i'd be interested in this too.

Any solutions?

Feedback Score
    Do you get free web texts with T-Mobile? If so there is jelly sms or eirtext it uses your free web texts and will use wifi if available, otherwise it uses internet.

Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    the best web-to-text service I've found is Google voice -- you get an actual phone number that you can give out and people can save to their address books, and it's just yours.. not a randomly generated email address or the like.

the only downside is, Apple seems to have it out for Google Voice and denied the official google voice app, and is removing the third party apps as well. Last I used it, there wasn't push anyway.

But you can use their mobile website in Safari to send/receive texts... it's not practical if she's a heavy texter as you'll need to reload the page to check for new texts, but it works fairly well otherwise.

Phones
    Samsung T629
    Nokia 3595
    Motorola Timeport
    Carrier
    T Mobile
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    gv mobile is available in cydia

Feedback Score
    Isn't Google Voice invitation only? I Haven't found out how to join other than that (I only spent about 5 seconds looking though)

Pretty Fast

Phones
    IPhone 3GS 32gb White
    iPad 32gb Wifi
    iPhone 4 32gb
    Carriers
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    just get her a text plan lol jk