Galaxy Nexus
    Nokia 6265i
    Galaxy Nexus
    Carrier
    Telus
    Feedback Score

Non-Smartphone Tethering

Hey All:
    I was hoping one of the guru's around here could give me some advice. I have a Nokia 5310 with Rogers on the My10 National student plan. I've been working more and more often away from internet, however, and would like to tether my phone via bluetooth.
    Rogers claims that this is impossible with a non-smartphone (dumbphone?). Of course, Nokia PC Suite is only too happy to do the connection and nail me with a massive bill from Rogers. I want to know if there are any plans or packages that I might be able to persuade them (possibly through retention) to throw onto my account for tethering coverage.
    Also, I would like to tether an old-school PDA (non-smartphone), but for that I will need the actual login information. Can anybody supply that?
    Thanks for any help!
    --Databoy2k

Carrier
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (HP iPAQ: BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.247 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/107)

As long as u have a real data plan, u can tether w/out problem (1GB or above now). I've tethered with the w810 and k850 before.

Phones
    HTC Magic
    Samsung Galaxy S Captivate
    Palm Pre 2
    Carriers
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Retention stuff is retention stuff and is kind of separate from the ability to tether with a non-smartphone. But Nokia PC Suite makes tethering very simple. Just ensure you put on a 1GB data package with tethering access and you're good to go. Won't be too speedy on a 5310 though...

Sometimes the reps aren't too bright regarding tethering with a non-smartphone. I had a couple issues with tethering my LG Secret initially and I called tech support. I was bounced between 5 different departments with no one really wanting to assist me because I wasn't using a smartphone. One rep actually told me it was impossible! Lol.

Phones
    Nexus S, Samsung Blackjack i607
    LG L3
    Nokia 2855i
    Carrier
    PC Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I have been occasionally tethering to my Nokia 6230b (Series 40, non-smartphone) via Bluetooth for years. It works fine.

I agree about the main roadblock here being ignorance. If you can get a rep to just add a data plan (with capacity of your choosing for your purposes) and enable tethering, you'll be good to go.

Phones
    Galaxy Nexus
    Nokia 6265i
    Galaxy Nexus
    Carrier
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    Cool thanks guys - I'll start bugging the reps. Hopefully I can get someone who knows that this is possible...