Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How to add ringtones to Samsung Smooth

Phone
    Palm Centro
    Carrier
    pageplus
    Feedback Score

How to add ringtones to Samsung Smooth

Hello all, this is my first tutorial so bare with me, and the steps should work to add ringers to your phone manually. After lots of surfing i compiled what to use to do this if you follow along everything will work fine and you'll have all the ringers without the fee. Thanks to Mark_Venture as well

Requirements:
    1.Samsung Smooth (SCH-U350), should work for other samsungs as well
    2.Samsung Mobile Usb Drivers (found here)-Samsung Drivers
    3.QPST 2.7 Build 215- Google it!
    4. Freeware Hex Editor XV132- HexEdit

Step 1:
    Install the Samsung Mobile Driver and you may have to reboot your comp.
    After Reboot, Connect Your phone.

Step 2:
    Install and Start up the Qpst. When that's done open up the Qpst Configuration, under the ports tab select add new port then find the connected samsung phone (it should say diagnostics port not the modem port).Select that then click ok, it will be enabled. It should be under your active phones as well displaying your min this is not your actual phone number, so don't worry.

Step 3:
    Ok we should be good to go through the EFS explorer program under the Start Clients tab, so go there it will confirm you're phone click ok. Next you will see lots of folders, this is your phones extended file system. Our target is for ringers, So we direct our mouses to brew/mod/mr double click on the mr folder then add your ringtones, (you should see a file named MrInfo.db in there) now when that is done restart your phone.

Step 4.
    Once you have restarted your phone and its connected go back where we just left the QPST EFS Explorer brew/mod/mr there you see the file MrInfo.db, with this file we want to drag and drop it to our desktop (much easier)

Step 5:
    Ok we will now be working with a program named XV132 a hex editor, extract that to a folder on your desktop (much easier). Then we open the editor should be named XV132 and is an executable file. In the editor open up the file named MrInfo.db just click File then open and search for it, wherever you may have placed it or drag and drop it into the editor either or. Next Click under the search bar and hit replace then under find-hex string (should be blank) enter 7C 30 7C 30 just type it no caps needed, then under the replace with: enter 7C 30 7C 33 in the hex string should look like this.
    When that's done hit replace all (it is on the right). It should pop up saying occurrences changed or so just click ok, then save the file as it is do not rename.

Step 6:
    Final move, go back to QPST Explorer and drag and drop the MrInfo.db file you just saved and this will rewrite the previous one click yes or so. Then once you have replaced the file reboot your phone.

You should now be able to view your ringtones!! If you followed these instructions by detail.

Some links with detail of what i used, pretty much the same concepts,
    1.Mark_Venture
    2.QPST Settings
    Thanks to these two.

Phones
    RAZR V3M (Silver)
    RAZR V3M (Silver)
    Q9C (Black)
    Carriers
    Alltel
    Feedback Score

Thumbs up Good Job! W00t!

PERFECT, PERFECT, PERFECT!!! hehe I've looking for this info for at least a MONTH now!

THANK YOU!

I was close in what I was doing but this little tut did the trick! I also used QPST 2.7 build 301 instead of the version you used.

This little phone now has (with the stock ringtones) 134 total.

Phone
    Palm Centro
    Carrier
    pageplus
    Feedback Score
    lol, glad i could help.

Phone
    Palm Treo Pro
    Carrier
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Yes very good guide, thanks. Worked great on my U350's for ring tones.

NOW....... what about apps and wallpapers?

I've searched everywhere for the locations but I do not see where the apps and wallpapers are stored.

What kind of games can be installed on this phone? They are not java are they?

Phone
    Palm Centro
    Carrier
    pageplus
    Feedback Score
    brew/mod/10888 these are where the pics are located don't know how to put apps on though.

Phone
    Palm Treo Pro
    Carrier
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    On my daughters bought Superpacman on her phone and it's located at:

/brew/mod/34141

The folder shows 4 files:

superpacman.bar
    superpacman.dat
    superpacman.mod
    superpacman.sig

I thought about trying to copy those files to share them on the other kids phones (same model) but it won't let me copy them.

I uploaded a test file to see if another game would be available and load in that folder and it uploaded but didn't work now I can't remove that file.

Feedback Score
    I can't get past step 2. It needs an SPC code I don't have. Sorry if this is dumb question, but how can I get that? It's a Verizon branded phone.

Feedback Score
    I think I solved it. Thanks.

Phones
    UTStarcom UM100 data/internet
    Samsung SCH-U350
    Cricket Captr(A200)
    Carriers
    Cricket Wireless internet,
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kingsinger
    I think I solved it. Thanks.
    How did you solve it?

I finally called verizon and asked the CSR for the SPC to get my pictures.

He gave me a code, but it only allowed me to access the brew/mod/10888 directory for the camera photos. This makes it look as though on my version each directory has its own SPC.

At a minimum I would like to find the SPC for the brew/mod/mr directory as well, but ideally, I'd like an SPC that unlocks the whole filesystem.

What are the chances that each phone has unique codes for this?

I'd also like to find java games that would work on this phone.

Too bad Verizon is such a PITA about disabling things and trying to force their customers into payment plans for crappy options. But it's great that their CSR are willing to spill the goods regarding SPC codes for individual directories.

Phone
    Palm Treo Pro
    Carrier
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    I'd love to find out this too. If you find out please post back. I've been looking for 2 months.

Feedback Score
    OK 2 questions. What format are ringtones in for the Smooth, and my mr foler does not contain the file mrinfo.db where can i find this file at?

Phone
    Palm Centro
    Carrier
    pageplus
    Feedback Score
    brew/mod/mr is where the folder should be just put the ringers in there reset your phone and it should APPEAR THEN EDIT THAT FILE.

Phones
    UTStarcom UM100 data/internet
    Samsung SCH-U350
    Cricket Captr(A200)
    Carriers
    Cricket Wireless internet,
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score

I'm a dummy!

All the instructions here work. I had my default directory in QPST set to brew/mod/10888 and it wasn't letting me browse as a result. Set the default EFS directory to root(/) and it works fine.

Also, mp3 format works. The phone only has 32MB of memory, and it's pretty easy to fill that up with various ringtones. I only have a few that I'm using now, but you have to go through the whole dl the mrinfo.db and hexedit AFTER adding the ringtones and resetting the phone.

You have to reset, re-dl, and re-hexedit EVERY TIME YOU ADD NEW RINGTONES.

Just for clarity.

Last edited by Giltweasel; 10-25-2009 at 02:19 AM. Reason: fix spelling

Phones
    LG VX5500
    Samsung Smooth
    Carrier
    Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    This from the tutorial helped me get my SPC.

Recovering the Service Programming Code (SPC) for the Samsung Smooth (AKA: SCH-U350)

* 1) Get a USB cable.
    * 2) Install Samsung driver and connect phone to USB port.
    * 3) Find the COM port you phone connects to (go to Control Panel/System/System Properties/Hardware/Device Manager). Look at "Ports" entry and note the name of a COM port the phone is connected to.
    * 4) Download and install the demo version of CDMA-Workshop.
    * 5) Run CDMA-Workshop. Change the COM port to the port where your phone is connected, and press the Connect button. Then press the Read button.
    * 6) Switch to the Security tab, check the password radio button, enter 1945081520081106 and press Send.
    * 7) In the dialog (Passowrd is correct. Phone unlocked) press OK.
    * 8) The SPC will appear in the SPC/User Lock field: Record this for later use.

* Optional: Change the Service Programming Code to 000000. Change to 000000 by entering the Settings and tools menu (Menu, 9) , pressing * and entering the recovered SPC, then pressing 5. Enter 000000, OK, and the 000000 when prompted. The phone will restart every time you exit the service menu.

Phone
    samsung smooth
    Carrier
    verizon
    Feedback Score
    Again Great Job Can I Please Request Ringback!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast