Thread: Is it possible to get a T-Mobile Mytouch Prepaid?

Feedback Score

Question Is it possible to get a T-Mobile Mytouch Prepaid?

No contact, no data plan, just apply one of the pay as you go prepaid plans?

If so, I'm not sure about the data details.

The T-mobile prepaid plans are for talk with extra charges for text, etc. I don't see data included in the prepaid plans.

It'd be nice to get an Android phone - with data capability - on a prepaid basis.

Phone
    Android
    Carriers
    -T--Mobile USA|Get More
    Feedback Score
    Pay $499 for the phone. Don't know if data will work. T-Mo is pretty strict with postpaid users and mytouch data plans

Phones
    HTC Touch Pro 2
    iPhone 2G
    Sony Ericsson TM506
    Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Buy the phone outright our get one off of ebay/craigslist and then sign up for the prepaid sidekick plan. You just have to switch the APN to hiptop.t-mobile.com, but data works fine and you just get billed $1 a day for unlimited data (you can use my t-mobile though to switch back to the pay as you go plan from the sidekick plan on days you don't use data)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cmc0
    You just have to switch the APN to hiptop.t-mobile.com, but data works fine
    Actually that was until yesterday. T-Mobile apparently blocked off the hiptop APN except for sidekick users.

See this thread in the prepaid forum for more details...

http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=1558806

Phone
    Android
    Carriers
    -T--Mobile USA|Get More
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jet1000
    Actually that was until yesterday. T-Mobile apparently blocked off the hiptop APN except for sidekick users.

See this thread in the prepaid forum for more details...

http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=1558806
    T-Mobile has cracked down over the summer, No more $5.99 T-Zones hacks/Sidekick APN fun...Party is over

Phones
    Apple iPhone 5
    iPad WiFi + Cellular (3rd Gen)
    FreedomPop Photon
    Carriers
    Verizon (iPhone/iPad LTE)
    FreedomPop (Clear MVNO)
    Feedback Score
    Also, IIRC all Android phones require you to log into Google's servers via cellular data to activate (as well as to setup Gmail push). That might be an issue for a prepaid user since prepaid data is pretty much nonexistant now for those not on Sidekicks.
    If the phone is not preactivated at the time you buy it, then you must find a way to activate it (likely a SIM that has a non-Sidekick data plan on it or search for a way to using WiFi or the Android SDK).
    My common forum nick: GenesisDH.

R.I.P. Circuit City

We are the Bor... the new AT&T: Your World, Assimilated.

1000th post: Sept. 29th, 2008, 17:42 CDT

Carrier
    AT&T ( GoPhone )
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Haas_Dave
    Also, IIRC all Android phones require you to log into Google's servers via cellular data to activate (as well as to setup Gmail push). That might be an issue for a prepaid user since prepaid data is pretty much nonexistant now for those not on Sidekicks.
    If the phone is not preactivated at the time you buy it, then you must find a way to activate it (likely a SIM that has a non-Sidekick data plan on it or search for a way to using WiFi or the Android SDK).
    Boot in safe mode and setup WiFi. Reboot out of safe mode and configure google services, no cell data required. ( this is my understanding, I don't have the phone but was investigating a G1 on prepaid )

Carriers
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    it works great on prepaid plan
    T-Mobile - the largest fake 4G network in Americas

HTC HD2 Speed on 3G/HSDPA

T-mobile 3G/H or Pharos 137

My broadband speed

My WM phone is the best GPS now, say good bye junk Andriod

Phone
    HTC Magic
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Haas_Dave
    I don't know how T-mo set up their Android phones, but I managed to get my Canadian Rogers Android phone (HTC Magic, nearly the same thing as the Mytouch 3G) set up without a data plan.

1) buy phone outright.
    2) plop in the prepaid plan's SIM.
    3) activate the phone, skip Google activation.
    4) hook up to internet via wifi, activate Google account over wifi.

Still, not having a data plan for a smart phone kinda sucks, even if there's wifi lots of places.

Phone
    HTC: Sensation, myTouch Slide 4G, TyTN (8525), Motorola: Cliq2, Q9h, Nokia: 6263, e62, 5300.
    Carrier
    T-Mobile & AT&T.
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Antenna
    T-Mobile has cracked down over the summer, No more $5.99 T-Zones hacks/Sidekick APN fun...Party is over

My daughter's Shadow 2 is still going strong with the $5.99 T-Zones.