Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Will *611 tell you if an ESN is clean?

Phones
    Motorola Droid
    Bionic - on 9/9
    Droid X
    Carrier
    VZW
    Feedback Score

Will *611 tell you if an ESN is clean?

Considering buying a phone off craigslist and I'm just wondering if I call *611 before paying for the phone if they'll tell me if the ESN is clean?

If not, is there anyway to check before trying to activate it on my acct?

Thanks in advance.

Phones
    Motorola ATRIX 2
    Verizon iPhone 4S (Wife's)
    Carriers
    Straight Talk, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Yes, that pretty much is the only way to tell unless you just try to activate the phone.

Phone
    Iphone 4
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    When you go to pick up the phone, dial *228 option 3 and see if you can switch the phone over to your account before you pay. If the phone switches okay, pay for it. If not, walk away. Best way to tell, but for the most part when you dial 611 and ask they are pretty accurate. But as I said the only sure ways is to see if you can switch it over to your account.

And when you are looking at the phone see if the water damage indicator is okay, try to make a test call (even though you didn't switch the account over) just to make sure it work. Shut the phone off, restart it, see if the screen is okay.

Phones
    Current: Samsung Omnia II, Samsung Intensity, LG Dare and LG EnV 2
    Previous: Samsung Omnia, Samsung Gleam, LG VX-9400 and LG VX-9900 (Orange)
    Before That: Audiovox 9500, Audiovox 9900 Samsung A950 and LG VX-6100
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ScruffyGuy
    When you go to pick up the phone, dial *228 option 3 and see if you can switch the phone over to your account before you pay. If the phone switches okay, pay for it. If not, walk away. Best way to tell, but for the most part when you dial 611 and ask they are pretty accurate. But as I said the only sure ways is to see if you can switch it over to your account.

And when you are looking at the phone see if the water damage indicator is okay, try to make a test call (even though you didn't switch the account over) just to make sure it work. Shut the phone off, restart it, see if the screen is okay.
    All very sound advice.... except there may be times when *228 #3 will fail, such as dumb phone to smart phone for example.
    Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead...
    Do not walk in front of me, for I may not follow...
    In fact, just leave me the hell alone!

Phone
    Iphone 4
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    This is true, but at that point you will get a cs rep on the phone who will be able to continue the activation process for you. Then once the phone is up and running you pay. If it can't be connected the rep would tell you.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoltar
    All very sound advice.... except there may be times when *228 #3 will fail, such as dumb phone to smart phone for example.

Phones
    Moto Droid (Me)
    Alias 2 (wife)
    Boulder (son)
    Carriers
    Verizon (since 2006);
    Feedback Score
    This is true, but at that point you will get a cs rep on the phone who will be able to continue the activation process for you. Then once the phone is up and running you pay. If it can't be connected the rep would tell you.
    If you call CS and say you have an ESN number and want to know if its on the lost/stolen/cannot activate list, they will gladly transfer you to tech support who will check the database to see if its clean or not. You really don't need to activate it and then reactivate your old device and reprogram it.
    I am no longer an employee of VZW, I left on good terms and still think VZW is the best network in the U.S. and most helpful CSR's in any industry.

God Bless our U.S. Military.

Phone
    Iphone 4
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Ive heard there have been times where someone has called CS and asked if an esn was clear, then when the phone was purchased it ended up not being clear and the person was stuck. I've always gone with the activation process since I was going to buy the phone anyway. If it activated then I purchased it.

Quote Originally Posted by CanAm
    If you call CS and say you have an ESN number and want to know if its on the lost/stolen/cannot activate list, they will gladly transfer you to tech support who will check the database to see if its clean or not. You really don't need to activate it and then reactivate your old device and reprogram it.

Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Ive heard there have been times where someone has called CS and asked if an esn was clear, then when the phone was purchased it ended up not being clear and the person was stuck. I've always gone with the activation process since I was going to buy the phone anyway. If it activated then I purchased it.
    That's because people are calling cs when they should be calling into tech support. CanAM is 110% correct.

All stolen phone/non-pay disconnect esn verifications are done through MTAS--which cs does not have access to, only tech.
    No longer a VZW employee, but still a good information source.
    -------------------------------------------------------
    CanAM:
    With all that money you save monthly with your Sprint plan, you should be able to order Hooked On Phonics - remember, the phone number to order this is 1-800-ABCDEFG.

Phone
    Iphone 4
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Okay, you go with calling tech support. Keep in mind most of the people there aren't any brighter than the csr reps. And when you buy a phone that is on the blacklist because they were wrong then try to get Verizon to give you your money back.

Feedback Score
    A phone can be clean today, so you call cs, tech support, whomever, then when you go to buy the phone, it gets reported lost/stolen, so at that point it's no longer clean. Some people think they can get a replacement from Asurion with no strings attached.

Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Okay, you go with calling tech support. Keep in mind most of the people there aren't any brighter than the csr reps. And when you buy a phone that is on the blacklist because they were wrong then try to get Verizon to give you your money back.
    Why would verizon ever have to give you your money back for a purchase YOU MADE WITH A 3RD PARTY? Typical entitlement attitude.

Knock yourself out with *228 option 3. I would be hard pressed to disagree with you that not all people are intelligent when dealing with CS or tech support. Then again, the same holds true for armchair quarterbacks posting on internet forums.

to the poster below, it is entirely possible to list an esn as stolen or lost once it has been cleared. I can think of two or three ways to pull it off too to make a sale happen. Most of those scenarios end up with the word fraud in them so it is a criminal activity.

Phone
    iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Ive heard there have been times where someone has called CS and asked if an esn was clear, then when the phone was purchased it ended up not being clear and the person was stuck.
    I bought my sister an enV from Craigslist. I'd called *611 to see if it was free to be activated and apparently they'd checked their lost/stolen/non-pay database, but didn't check to see if it was actually still active, and it was. Thankfully, I had the lady's # and address, and so I got her to give me my $ back. Apparently she wasn't yet on the non-pay list, but she had a fairly large past-due bill so she couldn't swap to another phone on that line.

Phone
    Iphone 4
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    See, I was correct!!! No apologies needed j/k lol

Quote Originally Posted by JenJen
    I bought my sister an enV from Craigslist. I'd called *611 to see if it was free to be activated and apparently they'd checked their lost/stolen/non-pay database, but didn't check to see if it was actually still active, and it was. Thankfully, I had the lady's # and address, and so I got her to give me my $ back. Apparently she wasn't yet on the non-pay list, but she had a fairly large past-due bill so she couldn't swap to another phone on that line.

Phone
    iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    LOL...I'd have trusted you...but this was a little over a year ago

Phone
    Iphone 4
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    You did well!! You can trust me forever, lol