Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: port verizon number to tmobile to go (prepaid)

Carrier
    Airvoice (wirelss), Qwest (wireline)
    Feedback Score

port verizon number to tmobile to go (prepaid)

Since I don't use my cell phone much, I'd like to port my cell number from verizon wireless to t-mobile to go prepaid (per-minute) plan. (It's a much better deal) I'm wondering how I initiate this with t-mobile and what happens after that. Thanks.

Phone
    Dunno... changes every week.
    Feedback Score
    Postpaid to prepaid and prepaid to postpaid normally doesn't work. I'm not sure why but no carrier seems to want to do this. I know T-Mobile doesn't accept AT&T postpaid to prepaid as I tried that; your probably also going to be a out of luck with Verizon.

You can however do T-Mobile FlexPay. I did a Sprint postpaid to FlexPay before.

Carrier
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AndreBSD
    Postpaid to prepaid and prepaid to postpaid normally doesn't work. I'm not sure why but no carrier seems to want to do this. I know T-Mobile doesn't accept AT&T postpaid to prepaid as I tried that; your probably also going to be a out of luck with Verizon.

You can however do T-Mobile FlexPay. I did a Sprint postpaid to FlexPay before.
    I'm not really interested in FlexPay because that actually costs more than a postpaid plan and I don't use that many minutes.

What if I port it over to T-Mobile postpaid, and then later convert to prepaid? Will that work?

Carrier
    Feedback Score
    Or what if I change my VZW number to VZW prepaid and then port over?

Carrier
    Feedback Score
    I just called up and they said I could port to prepaid. But man the sales guy was persistent. Seemed like a used-car salesman. He really wanted me on a contract plan. I told him I don't use many minutes. Nowhere near 300 now that I have a home phone again. Then he tried to get me to go with contract plus their VOIP service. Requires a special phone of course.

Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    You most definitely can do this (from any carrier). Check out the HoFo TMO prepaid forum for more info. http://www.howardforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=343 The guys over there know every nuance of using prepaid.

To the poster who said he wasn't allowed to port from AT&T post paid to TMO prepaid, you got bad info from someone. Others have done it without a problem.

Wow! The mods are working fast. I had barely posted the above and the post was moved to the prepaid forum.

Phones
    HTC Hero
    Motorola Z6
    Feedback Score
    Yeah, the guy at the top was wrong. You can do what you're looking to do.

Carrier
    Feedback Score
    I called up tonight. I have a sim card that I had previously used with T-Mobile and they told me they can't reactivate it. Is that true? They told me the number is tied to the SIM. If that is true, then how to do I get the Verizon number ported, because assuming what they told me is true, once I get the SIM, it already has a number attached to it that can't be changed. That makes little sense to me... but could someone clear this up? Do I really need to get another SIM? There is no t-mobile store here, only WAL-MART, which I doubt has SIM cards and the nearest TM store is 45 miles away. I would have to order a new one from their website.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclones_isu
    I would have to order a new one from their website.
    Right, you have to order a new sim card. The sim you order won't have a phone number attached to it. So they can port your Verizon number to the new card. But it's my understanding that it's one phone number per card. Want a new number, you need a new card.

And I would check the Wal-Mart. If they're doing new activations for T-Mobile, it's possible they've got SIM cards there.

Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclones_isu
    I called up tonight. I have a sim card that I had previously used with T-Mobile and they told me they can't reactivate it. Is that true? They told me the number is tied to the SIM. If that is true, then how to do I get the Verizon number ported, because assuming what they told me is true, once I get the SIM, it already has a number attached to it that can't be changed. That makes little sense to me... but could someone clear this up? Do I really need to get another SIM? There is no t-mobile store here, only WAL-MART, which I doubt has SIM cards and the nearest TM store is 45 miles away. I would have to order a new one from their website.
    The rep is correct that an inactive SIM cannot be reactivated. The number being tied to the SIM.....not completely accurate. The SIM is actually tied to the account and only one number can be activated on that card at a time, but the number can be changed without needing a new SIM card.

If you get a pre-paid SIM that is already activated with another number (number a), you can still port your Verizon number in. You would keep the same SIM and when the Verizon number is ported in, it will replace number b on the SIM.

You will need a new SIM so will need to order one either from TMO (I believe they are currently $6.99) or from ebay.

Carrier
    Feedback Score
    I have ordered a new one. It is supposed to be here tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by TXLady
    The rep is correct that an inactive SIM cannot be reactivated.
    Anyone know why this is the case? I found the situation rather frustrating and don't see any technical reason why the SIM card couldn't be reactivated. As a comparison, with Verizon, if you have an approved handset, you can reactivate it at any time by simply calling up customer service and giving them the ESN. I also think you can reactivate any AT&T SIM. Why does T-Mobile do this frustrating thing?

Phones
    NOKIA E66/5800d, HTC Ozone (T-M)
    HTC Ozone (PP/T-M)
    Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TXLady
    You most definitely can do this (from any carrier). Check out the HoFo TMO prepaid forum for more info. http://www.howardforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=343 The guys over there know every nuance of using prepaid.

To the poster who said he wasn't allowed to port from AT&T post paid to TMO prepaid, you got bad info from someone. Others have done it without a problem.

Wow! The mods are working fast. I had barely posted the above and the post was moved to the prepaid forum.
    I just posted in another thread of mine.

Talked to the porting people last week, and they said no problem VZ to TM PAYG.

Yesterday I called to port my wife's VZ over to TM PAYG.

Lots of confusion, have to talk to a supe stuff.

Turns out they had to create a dummy order with the information to be given to the prepaid group. They said prepaid porting was a separate unit.

They still maintain that it should be final within 24 hours.

We shall see. It will be 24 hours soon.

When I ported my VZ to PAYG, I ended up going to the store and they made the call after I spent an hour on the phone with CS. That port took just a bit under 48 hours.
    Last edited by exfed2002; 08-14-2009 at 03:57 AM. Reason: Wow, spelling! Excuse: No coffee yet.

Phones
    HTC Touch
    Motorola E815 (Now Retired)
    Carriers
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    My wife just switched from a verizon postpaid account to a Tmobile Prepaid account. She was able to port her VZ phone number over without any issue. She had to call twice to get it done but it was done fairly painlessly.

Phone
    Droid 3, Moto G-2014
    Carrier
    Page Plus, H2O
    Feedback Score
    I ported from Verizon postpaid as well. Bought an unlocked GSM phone and sim online. Took both to a local T-Mobile store. They said I couldn't port, but I knew that was incorrect. They ended up calling T-Mobile activations who walked them through the process. Wound up taking about a half hour. They gave me a temporary number for immediate use of the phone, and ported the Verizon number on the next business day.

Phones
    NOKIA E66/5800d, HTC Ozone (T-M)
    HTC Ozone (PP/T-M)
    Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by OneFore9
    I ported from Verizon postpaid as well. Bought an unlocked GSM phone and sim online. Took both to a local T-Mobile store. They said I couldn't port, but I knew that was incorrect. They ended up calling T-Mobile activations who walked them through the process. Wound up taking about a half hour. They gave me a temporary number for immediate use of the phone, and ported the Verizon number on the next business day.
    Approaching 48 hours now and nothing. Not sure if they enter the data over the weekend.

We shall see, if nothing happens, I'll give them another call to check progress on Monday morning. If I get no answers/satisfaction, I'll go to the store. The senior guy who works there used to work for VZ and has it all down.

I need to get it done before they bill for the next cycle at VZ - apparently they no longer do pro-rates as I got nothing back for my unused billing cycle days.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast