Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: $100 One Year VZW Refill Dead? (New Max Expiration = 120 Days, for $150+ Refill?)

Phones
    Motorola Rzr
    Samsung Smooth
    Carrier
    VZW
    Feedback Score

Angry $100 One Year VZW Refill Dead? (New Max Expiration = 120 Days, for $150+ Refill?)

I just picked up a new Samsung Smooth, and found the following chart on Page 15 of its Getting Started Booklet:

Refill rates and expiration
    (once applied to the account)

$15-$29.99......................... 30 days
    $30-$74.99......................... 60 days
    $75-$149.99....................... 90 days
    $150 and above.................. 120 days

Is the $100 One Year Refill really dead???

If not dead yet, how long is it likely to last?
    nn2g2bt = Not Necessarily Too Good To Be True

Phone
    Palm Pixi Plus (Page Plus)
    Carriers
    Page Plus,
    Feedback Score
    Refill Expiration (once applied to the account)

* $15-$29.99 expires in 30 days
    * $30-$74.99 expires in 90 days
    * $75-$99.99 expires in 180 days
    * $100 or more expires in ONE YEAR!

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/s...PrepayOverview
    You either have coverage or you have Sprint native, you can't have both.

PAYG rules; contracts are for fools.

Feedback Score
    They are only selling the $30 cards online for 90 days. You can still get the other cards at like Best Buy, etc. I would wait a little while for the smoke to clear. It wouldn't surprise me that Big Red is doing this which is dumb considering that it allows them an advantage for low usage users. High usage users on the Verizon prepaid network are way better off on Page Plus or even Straight Talk.

But if they have really eliminated it, then there's Air Voice Express which also runs on Verizon prepaid. They have only talk/text but it is $50 for a year with 700 minutes (they do have a monthly usage charge of like a buck a month though. You end up with around 550 actual minutes.)

They do have the ability to use most Verizon phones. If you take their "free" minutes on activation , they will hold your esn for six months. But if you buy their year expiry card with the full intent of keeping it for that length of time before you buy it, that shouldn't become an issue.

Fellow Verizon prepaid resellers Staight Talk, Locus H20 cdma and Page Plus currently don't have one year card options.

VM did something like this before. They used to have 90 day expiry on all their Pay go cards then one day, you woke up and it was 30.

I don't think VM has anything but 30 day expiries now.

Tmobile has the best deal with Gold rewards on their prepaid. Once you hit $100, it is automatically one year even if you stacked lesser cards to get it and you get 15% extra free minutes for every purchase from then on after the first c note. Shame about the SK plan though.

Carrier
    AT&T ( GoPhone )
    Feedback Score
    Is it possible that this was an older packet? Those remind me of the pre $100/year expiration dates.

Phones
    Motorola Rzr
    Samsung Smooth
    Carrier
    VZW
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by snowmoon
    Is it possible that this was an older packet? Those remind me of the pre $100/year expiration dates.
    Don't think so -- the Smooth Getting Started Booklet is ©2009.

Phones
    Nokia 2610, 6030b, 2118, 2280, 3555b, 6215i
    Sony Ericsson K300i; Samsung SGH-t109
    Motorola V325
    Carriers
    T-Mobile USA; AT&T Mobility USA; Vodafone NZ; 2degrees NZ
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by nn2g2bt
    Don't think so -- the Smooth Getting Started Booklet is ©2009.
    Am I correct in recalling that the changes to expiry times occurred this year?

Carrier
    AT&T ( GoPhone )
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ngerukai
    It was last year that the expiry times changed as I was using it in September of last year. Barring an error in the booklet it's not a good sign. Without the $100/year I will drop InPulse in a New York minute.

Phones
    :: Samsung Galaxy S2 :: Nokia Lumia 635 :: LG Optimus F3 :: Nokia Lumia 521 ::
    :: Samsung Galaxy S2 :: Nokia Lumia 635 ::
    :: Nokia Lumia 521 :: Fierce 2 ::
    Carrier
    ::T~Mobile 2 Go :: Lycamobile :: PTel ::
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ngerukai

They increased the service time on airtime cards sometime this spring from 60 days on a $30 card to 90 days.

The printed booklet was probably printed before they changed and increased the service time, I just checked the Verizon site and they list $30 with 90 days service.

Phone
    HTC_One(M8)WP, moto_X~2
    Carrier
    VZW_PrePd, REpublic_Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fonezfonz
    VM did something like this before. They used to have 90 day expiry on all their Pay go cards then one day, you woke up and it was 30.

I don't think VM has anything but 30 day expiries now.
    VM TOP-UP Cards do not expire. If you purchase a Minute Pack on paygo the minutes do expire at 30 days. Minute Packs allow you to choose minutes as low as 5cents. However, unused minutes on VM paygo Roll Over if you purchase another minute pack (up to 5,000 minutes). If you do not purchase a minute pack the basic VM rate is 20cents per min. and your funds are good for 90 days unless you have purchased a $90 TOP UP card in which case your VM service is good for one year from the date of the $90 Top Up and the funds and any subsequent Top Up will not expire until you reach that anniversary date or 90 days from the most recent top up whichever is later.

Phones
    Android(Thundetbolt)
    TBolt ATM
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    ATT still has 1 yr 100.00 rate.

Phones
    Nokia 2610, 6030b, 2118, 2280, 3555b, 6215i
    Sony Ericsson K300i; Samsung SGH-t109
    Motorola V325
    Carriers
    T-Mobile USA; AT&T Mobility USA; Vodafone NZ; 2degrees NZ
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by snowmoon
    It was last year that the expiry times changed as I was using it in September of last year. Barring an error in the booklet it's not a good sign. Without the $100/year I will drop InPulse in a New York minute.
    Well, remember sometimes handsets take ages to come to market (with the usual exceptions, of course), so I have been imagining sometimes they also prep the manuals a bit in advance too, perhaps?

Phones
    :: Samsung Galaxy S2 :: Nokia Lumia 635 :: LG Optimus F3 :: Nokia Lumia 521 ::
    :: Samsung Galaxy S2 :: Nokia Lumia 635 ::
    :: Nokia Lumia 521 :: Fierce 2 ::
    Carrier
    ::T~Mobile 2 Go :: Lycamobile :: PTel ::
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by nn2g2bt
    I just picked up a new Samsung Smooth, and found the following chart on Page 15 of its Getting Started Booklet:

Refill rates and expiration
    (once applied to the account)

$15-$29.99......................... 30 days
    $30-$74.99......................... 60 days
    $75-$149.99....................... 90 days
    $150 and above.................. 120 days

Is the $100 One Year Refill really dead???

If not dead yet, how long is it likely to last?
    $100 Verizon Card for 1 Year of Service

They are selling the $100 card as a full year of service.

Most likely just a booklet printed before they increased the service time. I remember it was sometime in early the spring that they increased the service time.

Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Lyca
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by vmobi
    VM TOP-UP Cards do not expire. If you purchase a Minute Pack on paygo the minutes do expire at 30 days. Minute Packs allow you to choose minutes as low as 5cents. However, unused minutes on VM paygo Roll Over if you purchase another minute pack (up to 5,000 minutes). If you do not purchase a minute pack the basic VM rate is 20cents per min. and your funds are good for 90 days unless you have purchased a $90 TOP UP card in which case your VM service is good for one year from the date of the $90 Top Up and the funds and any subsequent Top Up will not expire until you reach that anniversary date or 90 days from the most recent top up whichever is later.
    What?

I defy anyone to read this and know what VM's policy is.

And it's NOT your writing,Vmobi! The convoluted mess that is Virgin's pricing "structure" is the main reason I'm a TMo customer right now....that and the fact that it never has sold a one year card.

Feedback Score
    at walmart yesterday the side panel fine print of diiferent inpulse boxes show:

'upto 365 days of service' - samsung smooth
    'upto 365 days of service' - lg vx5500
    'upto 120 days of service' - utstarcom blitz
    'upto 120 days of service' - motorola w755

the copyright 2009 inpulse brochure states 365 days with $100+ refill.

Phone
    Nokia 2720
    Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Virgin
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Nassour
    The convoluted mess that is Virgin's pricing "structure" is the main reason I'm a TMo customer right now....that and the fact that it never has sold a one year card.
    Oh? Last May, Target offered a Virgin Mobile one-year card for $85 (IIRC) on sale. The previous June, Target had a Virgin Mobile one-year card for $65. You can also sign up for $15 autopay every 90 days - which is less than $63 dollars a year! For awhile, the website offered a year for $60!

Both Target and BestBuy carry the one-year cards (including Verizon and Virgin Mobil) ... but they're not always on sale.
    Regards

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast