Thread: New Straight Talk phones?

Feedback Score

New Straight Talk phones?

Hey everybody!

Does anyone think Straight Talk is going to offer some new phones in the upcoming months if they do well? I know they only offer 3 diff. phones now, but I'm in the transition of what phone company I am willing to do business with, and what phone I wanna use with that phone company.

If Straight Talk comes out with a querty keypad phone, I would be willing to wait a couple of months to see what they come out with, (plus) to see that I didn't throw any money away on a company gone out of business! (HAD TERRIBLE LUCK WITH PREVIOUS AMP'D MOBILE! But I think you guys know what went wrong with them! lol)

I know my options are limited with Prepay phones.. but I would really want a querty keypad phone. But the Razr looks appealing for my needs anyway.. I'm familiar with Motorola phones, and I can pretty much text w/o looking.. anyways...

If I bought the Motorazr V3a from straight talk.. and wished to transition to PagePlus cellular, would that be possible to do that with the razr from ST if I was not happy with ST? (I know the ST phone is CDMA technology, and I read that PP is compatiable with CDMA phones.. but just asking just in case!)

Once again, I ask this because I don't want a 100 dollar phone to go bad again! (Darn you Amp'd mobile for screwing up my chain of thoughts!) GRRRR!

Thanks for any help!!!

Phones
    Sprint Samsung Rant
    Boost motorola 425i
    ATT Motorola Razor
    Carriers
    sprint Sero
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    there is a report in one of the ST forums that they will be coming out with new phones soon. I think they said they heard Aug--don't know how reliable that report is.

There are reports in the PP threads of porting ST phones to PP.

Feedback Score

Confirmation on Page Plus supporting Straight Talk phones.

It is a confirmed fact. Hofo members have had at least two confirmed cases getting their ST phone working with full web/mms on Page Plus, specifically the W385. The Razr shouldn't be a stretch . Page Plus's new unlimited plan is so similar to the ST unlimited as to be practically a fraternal twin. Also, Page Plus offers the ability to use most Verizon, Verizon prepaid , Ampd and even Alltel handsets as well as ST on their system without major flashing or firmware mod work.

They are both good plans and deals. ST is great because it has huge exposure with its Walmart affiliation and can get a lot of new people to sign up on the credibility of the Tracfone/Verizon/Walmart triple threat brand power even if it isn't every Walmart yet (except via online).

Page Plus is great because it offers an alternative and covers areas that ST doesn't yet (Phone selection and roaming ability are two.)

Carriers
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    [QUOTE=knowbody09]It is a confirmed fact. Hofo members have had at least two confirmed cases getting their ST phone working with full web/mms on Page Plus, specifically the W385. QUOTE]

When these phones were with ST did they NOT have full web/mms?

Feedback Score
    Thanks!!! Now I feel better better about purchasing the $99 Razr! Do you think there will be handset upgrades for Straight Talk coming up soon ?

Feedback Score
    [QUOTE=Tracfancier]
    Quote Originally Posted by knowbody09
    It is a confirmed fact. Hofo members have had at least two confirmed cases getting their ST phone working with full web/mms on Page Plus, specifically the W385. QUOTE]

When these phones were with ST did they NOT have full web/mms?
    I think it means the fact that web/mms is not necessarily always the easiest thing to activate when switching between Vz mvnos sometimes even though Talk/text is. Also, there are some Hofos with reported cases of their ST Razr/W385 web not working not working on the original ST network. At least one early Hofo member from Pa left ST because of Tracfone's inability to straighten out the web issue, even after multple service calls. Didn't hear anything about MMS issues though.

Not everyone has this problem, but apparently it happens fairly often. There was a thread on MSN money or something, lots of complaints about CS and non working web. Lots of praise too though.

Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Why even bother with StraightTalk in the first place? Don't get me wrong their service is fairly no-hassle as long as you don't have to deal with their CS, but Page Plus is cheaper and you don't have to buy proprietary, outdated, overpriced phones.

Carrier
    Virgin Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by thejosher
    Why even bother with StraightTalk in the first place? Don't get me wrong their service is fairly no-hassle as long as you don't have to deal with their CS, but Page Plus is cheaper and you don't have to buy proprietary, outdated, overpriced phones.
    Straight Talk is available at Walmart.

PagePlus is available at gas stations and online.

Some people don't shop online: this includes many teenagers.

Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    You can setup auto-refill over the phone or refill manually with a credit card over the phone... activate over the phone... buy a phone from a retail store... no internet needed really.

*shrugs*

Feedback Score
    From what I understand, the UTNT plan from P+ does not cover picture messaging. This means that you will have to pay 10 cents and data transport for a picture message(iow, mms!=sms). However, the data transport is pulled from your monthly 20mb allowance before you're ever charged.

this is the only reason I can think of for a hofo'er to go with straight talk(for unlimited), however it can be a considerable one.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lejudicieux
    Straight Talk is available at Walmart.

PagePlus is available at gas stations and online.

Some people don't shop online: this includes many teenagers.
    But it's very convenient to get while shopping for pickled eggs, hood ornaments and Calvin and Hobbs stickers.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by thejosher
    Well, for one... I have no idea where to get a PagePlus phone.. I know they are compatiable with verizon phones.. BUT do they ALL work? And where do I get these Verizon phones.. especially if I want a nicer one? (Not an Impulse one!)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by xxiangel
    Well, for one... I have no idea where to get a PagePlus phone.. I know they are compatiable with verizon phones.. BUT do they ALL work? And where do I get these Verizon phones.. especially if I want a nicer one? (Not an Impulse one!)
    Ebay/Craigslist