Thread: Can you still send and receive text messages without a specific text plan?

Feedback Score

Question Can you still send and receive text messages without a specific text plan?

When I bought my Nokia e71x with the 450 minutes and PDA personal plan I was told that I would not be able to send or receive text messages unless I also purchased a texting plan so I bought one (200 texts for $5.00).

Would I be able to drop the the texting package and just pay-per-text or do I really have to have one?.

- Steve

Phones
    Droid Eris
    TP2
    iPad ♥
    Carriers
    VZW,
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (LGE-VX5500/1.0 UP.Browser/6.2.3.2 (GUI) MMP/2.0)

That's the dumbest thing i ever heard. You can still text whenever you want, but you will be charged by message, which i think is about 20 cents.

Android fanboy til I die!!! G1 FTW!!! F$^k Apple!!

Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by stevenwhite45
    When I bought my Nokia e71x with the 450 minutes and PDA personal plan I was told that I would not be able to send or receive text messages unless I also purchased a texting plan so I bought one (200 texts for $5.00).

Would I be able to drop the the texting package and just pay-per-text or do I really have to have one?.

- Steve
    Yes you can request the pay per use features instead of a messaging feature at an additional monthly charge.
    If I'm annoyed and you're annoyed, does that make us a paranoid ??

Sarcasm is a fine art...

"Don't believe everything you think"

It's not a matter of if you win or lose, it's how you assign the blame

Feedback Score
    Thanks, yes I thought that was sort of strange but the "tech" at WalMart was insistent that I would not be able to use the text messaging feature unless I purchased a package for that which is why I ended up with the 200 texts for $5.00.

He was on the phone with an AT&T rep at the time and I asked about the pay-per-use thing so he asked the rep and told me she said "no" and that I would need to buy a "texting package" for that.

So if I drop the $5.00/200 texts package and just go with the pay-per-use thing, does each text sent or received come out of my unlimited data, voice or is that going to show up on my next bill as a completely separate charge?.

- Steve

Phone
    After trying many phones, the one phone that is worthy of this spot is the 6620!!
    Feedback Score
    It will be a separate charge of 20 cent per message incoming and outgoing, and 30 cents for mms incoming and outgoing.

Phones
    Motorola V9x
    Motorola V365
    Nokia E63
    Carrier
    at&t wireless
    Feedback Score
    The real kicker is that at&t will charge you 20 cents for each incoming message even if you never open it and read it. So if someone really wants to screw you they can just keep sending you text messages and your text charges will keep accumulating even if you never open those messages.

Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S4 ACTIVE
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by yuyi64
    The real kicker is that at&t will charge you 20 cents for each incoming message even if you never open it and read it. So if someone really wants to screw you they can just keep sending you text messages and your text charges will keep accumulating even if you never open those messages.
    Well you can still put a SMS block on your account, but of course you won't be able to send or receive texts anymore.
    AT&T LTE Network Hartford, CT Area

Phone
    Galaxy Note 2
    Carrier
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I can let you know from previous experience you can most certainly text without a text plan. My son sent and received 2800 texts in one week and we didn't have a text plan. I got a bill that was 59 pages in length. I won't tell you how much it was, you can pretty much figure it out for yourself.