Thread: "Mobile Device#" vs "Mobile Identification #"

Phone
    LG VX5500 X2 (PPC) - LG800g (TF) - Nokia 6030 (T-Mo)
    Carriers
    Page Plus X2 (Verizon) - T-Mo2Go(GR) -
    Feedback Score

"Mobile Device#" vs "Mobile Identification #"

My "old" PP phone which has been on the system for over 2 years shows the same number, the phones actual phone number under both "Mobile Device and Mobile ID in "my number" under "phone info". My recently activated Smooth show the phones actual number under "Mobile Device" but a different number under "Mobile ID" - same area code and prefix but a different number. My wife's PP phone shows her actual number but her "Mobile ID" is a different area code and number.

Out of curiosity I called the number shown as her "Mobile ID". Its a Ohio area code (we're in Missouri)...... a woman answered the phone.

Can someone explain this phenomenon? Why are there different numbers (in some cases). And why is the "Mobile ID" number an actual working number that has nothing to do with the account?

Phones
    Centro (me)
    Treo 650 (wife)
    Carrier
    Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    My MIN and MID are the same. My wife's is different. I was a new activation with PP. My wife ported in. I always thought that had something to do with it, but maybe I'm wrong. Sorry, can't answer your question.

Phones
    LG Dare
    LG enV Touch
    Palm Treo 700wx
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Usually the MDN and MIN are the same if it is a brand new, never been used, virgin number. When porting or being assigned a "recycled" number, they're different. Why is this the case? I have no idea, as I haven't been intrigued enough to educate myself further on it.
    100th post Aug 22,2007 9:41PM
    200th post Valentine's Day 2008 10:15PM
    500th post July 22,2008 8:16PM
    --
    92% of teens would be dead if Abercrombie & Fitch said it wasn't cool to breathe.
    Put this in your signature if you are part of the 8% who would be laughing.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 25jive1
    Out of curiosity I called the number shown as her "Mobile ID". Its a Ohio area code (we're in Missouri)...... a woman answered the phone.
    Haha mine also seemed to be the residential number of some random folks. Maybe it's just some ten digit number, not a phone number.

Phone
    LG VX5500 X2 (PPC) - LG800g (TF) - Nokia 6030 (T-Mo)
    Carriers
    Page Plus X2 (Verizon) - T-Mo2Go(GR) -
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by blub
    Haha mine also seemed to be the residential number of some random folks. Maybe it's just some ten digit number, not a phone number.
    Oh mines an actual - in use phone number...someone answered when I called.

Royce, your theory does not seem correct. If the number was recycled it seems to me it should be the same number...in other words where did the Ohio number come from? The phone is new (in the case of the Sam) so its never had a number before.

My wifes PP number is our 15 year old former LL number ported to VZW then PP. - yet her phone has the Ohio number in the "Mobile ID". Her phone was new when the ESN was changed a few months ago.

Phone
    iPhone 4, LG Vortex
    Feedback Score
    From Wikipedia:
    "The Mobile Identification Number (MIN) is a 34-bit number that is derived from the 10-digit directory telephone number assigned to a mobile station. The rules for deriving the MIN from the 10-digit telephone number are given in the IS-95 standard. MIN1 is the first or least significant 24 binary digits of the MIN. MIN2 is the second part of the MIN containing the 10 most signif-icant binary digits. MIN1, and the ESN, along with other digital input, are used during the authentication process. The MIN is used to identify a mobile station."

Phones
    LG Dare
    LG enV Touch
    Palm Treo 700wx
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 25jive1
    Royce, your theory does not seem correct. If the number was recycled it seems to me it should be the same number...in other words where did the Ohio number come from? The phone is new (in the case of the Sam) so its never had a number before.
    I'm not talking about the phone, I'm talking about the phone number. I didn't really intend to imply that it had anything to do with whether the phone was new or not. For example: I activate a phone and get the number 740-555-1234. I use that phone, then let it expire. A year later, you pick up a new phone at Walmart, activate it, and viola- your new number is 740-555-1234. That's what I mean by recycled.

As far as where your Ohio number came from, like I said, I have no idea. I don't know why the MIN/MDN are the same or different, I just know when they usually are going to be the same or different.

Phones
    Sprint: iPhone 45-32
    Page Plus: Palm Pixi +
    AT&T:HP Pre3
    Feedback Score
    The difference between the MIN and MDN is what allows for porting. The MIN is the accounts ID in the system. When you port, the MIN remains the same while the MDN is YOUR number ported in from another carrier.

MDN's can move from carrier to carrier with the user, but MIN's stay with the carrier. That said, I believe the MDN reverts back to the original carrier when it's released.

http://www.phonescoop.com/glossary/term.php?gid=268

http://www.phonescoop.com/glossary/term.php?gid=66
    iPhone 4S-32: Sprint SERO............Palm Pixi Plus: Page Plus ..............HP Pre3: AT&T GoPhone
    talk smart WB2YGF