Thread: W376g - How to block a phone number?

Phone
    Motorola W376g
    Carrier
    TracFone (AT&T),
    Feedback Score

W376g - How to block a phone number?

I keep getting spam calls and I have never given this number out.

Anyway, on my old Nokia 2600 it is very simple to block a phone number. I read the W376g manual and I cannot find this info.

edit: bonus question

How do I turn down the screen brightness? This thing is a battery killer.
    Last edited by cham77; 08-31-2009 at 04:26 PM.

Phones
    LG VX 8360
    Motorola W175G
    LG VX5500
    Carriers
    Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    The W376g does not have the feature to block specific numbers. If the calls continue, you may have to change the phone number. Getting TF assigned local numbers is a crap shoot. Sometimes you get a clean number and sometimes you get a really bad one. Porting your number in from elsewhere is the only sure way to avoid hassles (assuming that your ported number doesn't already have spam issues).

Phone
    Motorola W376g
    Carrier
    TracFone (AT&T),
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tedison
    The W376g does not have the feature to block specific numbers. If the calls continue, you may have to change the phone number. Getting TF assigned local numbers is a crap shoot. Sometimes you get a clean number and sometimes you get a really bad one. Porting your number in from elsewhere is the only sure way to avoid hassles (assuming that your ported number doesn't already have spam issues).
    ugh, keep getting calls from 6036064912. I googled it and it doesn't look good. Stupidly I answered the call.

Phones
    :: Samsung Galaxy S2 :: Nokia Lumia 635 :: LG Optimus F3 :: Nokia Lumia 521 ::
    :: Samsung Galaxy S2 :: Nokia Lumia 635 ::
    :: Nokia Lumia 521 :: Fierce 2 ::
    Carrier
    ::T~Mobile 2 Go :: Lycamobile :: PTel ::
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cham77
    ugh, keep getting calls from 6036064912. I googled it and it doesn't look good. Stupidly I answered the call.
    UGH!!! I have had that same number calling on my T~Mobile prepaid phone several times too, I never answered it because I don't have them in my contacts so assisnged it DNA for Do Not Answer.

Sorry I can't help with your problem of blocking them, I can't block them either.

Who is this entity?
    After I heard about the new T~Mobile Prepaid Plans

Carrier
    PagePlus - No Dealer Required
    Feedback Score
    If you answer do you get a recorded message? If so listen to the entire message as there may be an option to press "2" or whatever to get removed from their call list. I know it's a pita, but it may be your only choice.

I just called the number and the first thing you get is the option to press "one" to be put on their do not call list. They're calling your cell number already, so what do you have to lose if you call from your cell and press one??? Other than one unit of airtime.

I recently tested the "don't mention a PP Dealer by name" rule here on PP Hofo......trust me, it is still in effect - got me a 7 day ban.

Phones
    :: Samsung Galaxy S2 :: Nokia Lumia 635 :: LG Optimus F3 :: Nokia Lumia 521 ::
    :: Samsung Galaxy S2 :: Nokia Lumia 635 ::
    :: Nokia Lumia 521 :: Fierce 2 ::
    Carrier
    ::T~Mobile 2 Go :: Lycamobile :: PTel ::
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tracnet
    If you answer do you get a recorded message? If so listen to the entire message as there may be an option to press "2" or whatever to get removed from their call list. I know it's a pita, but it may be your only choice.

I just called the number and the first thing you get is the option to press "one" to be put on their do not call list. They're calling your cell number already, so what do you have to lose if you call from your cell and press one??? Other than one unit of airtime.
    From a lot of posts online that is a scam to get active phone numbers to sell to other telemarketers if you answer and if you call back and press 1.

scam caller

From one of the many posts at this site, I found more after Googling that phone number.

These guys don't have your number. They have a random generator that picks an exchanges and calls all numbers from -0001 to -9999. If it's answered, the number confirmed as an active number and it hangs up. If you press 1 to go to a "do not call list", in also confirms you are an active number. Your number will then be sold to another telemarketer.

When I get a call that's not programmed into my cell, I reject it. If there's voice mail from someone I need to talk with, I call them back. If not, I google the number. It has always been telemarketers. Wish I knew how to stop it. I now program these numbers into my phone as "do not answer". That way I know not to answer if they call again. Still makin' me mad though.
    Aside from that, I'm not answering a call from someone I don't know, plus using up my minutes on some scammer.
    All of my phone numbers are on the National Do Not Call registry anyway. Unsolicited marketing calls to cell phones are illegal.

Carrier
    All of them.
    Feedback Score
    One of my #'s (the one I use for Craigslist mostly) gets a lot of spam

Today, 6 calls from (703) 653-0551

and in the past week...

(571) 431-1960
    (207) 766-7602
    (228) 209-9560
    (516) 453-5518

All spfam.
    Last edited by frail; 12-05-2009 at 05:06 PM.
    Home ISP, RR-Ultimate WiFi, $90/mo | Verizon 4G, $30/mo Unlimited

School, $5,000/semester | Work

Phone
    Motorola W376g
    Carrier
    TracFone (AT&T),
    Feedback Score
    I put the number in my phonebook (on phone not SIM card) and set the ring to "silent" for that number. That is the best thing I could come up with for now.

I was thinking that if this number ends up getting alot of spam I could set the ringer to "silent" , essentially making ALL calls to my cell number not ring. And then put my Google Voice number in the phonebook and set it to ring. Then set Google Voice to forward to my cell. I only give out my GV number anyway and it is easy to block calls in GV.

The result, I think, would be that my phone would only ring if someone calls my GV number and I hadn't blocked it in GV yet.

Phones
    LG VX 8360
    Motorola W175G
    LG VX5500
    Carriers
    Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    I was thinking that if this number ends up getting alot of spam I could set the ringer to "silent" , essentially making ALL calls to my cell number not ring. And then put my Google Voice number in the phonebook and set it to ring. Then set Google Voice to forward to my cell. I only give out my GV number anyway and it is easy to block calls in GV.

The result, I think, would be that my phone would only ring if someone calls my GV number and I hadn't blocked it in GV yet.
    Setting the ringer to silent is a global command and will result in all calls including Google Voice calls not ringing. And setting up fixed dialing only restricts outgoing calls to those contacts listed in your address book on the phone. Incoming calls including spam would still ring.

Phone
    Motorola W376g
    Carrier
    TracFone (AT&T),
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tedison
    Setting the ringer to silent is a global command and will result in all calls including Google Voice calls not ringing. And setting up fixed dialing only restricts outgoing calls to those contacts listed in your address book on the phone. Incoming calls including spam would still ring.

I see what you mean about the global command so that won't work.

I wasn't talking about using fixed dialing, I was talking about the way you can specify different ringtones depending on who is calling you by using the phonebook. I put the spam number in my phonebook and named it spam and gave it a ringtone of "silent". I think that should work.

Phones
    HTC EVO Design 4g
    HTC EVO Design 4g (FreedomPoP)
    Nokia Lumia 920
    Carriers
    FreedomPoP
    Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    I put the spam number in my phonebook and named it spam and gave it a ringtone of "silent". I think that should work.
    That was what I did months ago with my Pageplus number. When I unknowingly gave away my no. thinking that I was completing surveys. That day I got almost 30 calls. They kept on bothering me so much that I had to save the numbers in the phone book and assign special names and a ringtone to them. I started with "ua"...."uz" and then "uaa." When I reached "uam," the calls came down to only 2 or 3 a day and no new numbers showing up. I waited for one more month before deleting all those numbers.

Feedback Score
    I know this won't work with spammers, but works on a new number that has collection agencies calling. When I get a new number, the first thing I do is set up the voicemail recording in a choppy computer sounding voice, say the new fone number, then "has been disconnected and is no longer in service" and repeat it. Then I only answer calls from people I know. Most of the collection agencies give up after a couple of times.

I look up the phone numbers using the reverse lookup feature at http://www.411.com to find out who called. Spammers are usually not listed there, though.

The number you listed only shows:
    (603) 606-4912
    Type: Land Line
    Provider: Conversent Communications