Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25

Thread: Official LG Clout VX8370 Release Thread

Carrier(s)
    PTEL
    Feedback Score
    Are you sure? I was thinking of buying this phone on the $10 standard plan, or maybe the $80 annual plan (Pageplus). I have no need for data.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshatdot View Post
    Well I can't activate the 8370 on my VZW prepaid plan w/o having a data plan also . Stupid Data Plan!

Device(s)
    LG Clout vx8370;
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    On the previous page I reported that the earpiece speaker was distorted until I squirted air into it a few times and that I think dust from raking the yard caused the speaker distortion.

I found a solution to protect the phone from dust:

3" X 5" 4 Mil Strong Clear Reclosable Resealable Poly Zipper Bags
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o00_s01_i00

On amazon there are other sellers of bags like this that are of equal or lesser thickness (referring to the 4 millimeter rating). And I've read that craft stores/bead stores such as Hobby Lobby might have bags like this.
    (1) "Tutorial: Making Album Art Work (Most LG phones)" (link)
    (2) "MP3's ! They are RINGTONES / A Quick howto using Audacity" (link)

Device(s)
    LG Clout vx8370;
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    We're still getting fantastic recharging. The latest recharging was six days after the previous one -- that's with the phone being on 24/7 and having daily phone calls of about 30 to 60 minutes total per day with the speakerphone on usually on. The phone is always set to 1x mode.

Device(s)
    S8, G5, Samsung Note 4 DE, Note 3, Moto DROID Bionic, DROID RAZR, Galaxy Nexus, Rezound, V9m, VX8000
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T PrePaid (GoPhone)
    Feedback Score
    I use the Clout for about 4-5 hours of voice per week on average, and usually charge it every 8-10 days. Have been very happy with its included battery over the past two years.
    =>Why did I leave Verizon Wireless after 18 years? Find out here: Leaving Verizon after 18 years!

=> Read my reviews for the Motorola DROID MAXX, DROID Ultra, and DROID Mini.

=> VX8000 at Disney World:Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4.

Feedback Score
    Is there any way to disable the front buttons from turning on the music player when pressed?
    The lockout feature is somewhat pointless considering an extended press of the button results in the music player coming on. I'd like the buttons to actually remain disabled when the flip is closed; is there any option to do that?

Device(s)
    LG Clout vx8370;
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I have an idea to make the problem a little more tolerable though I can't find a way to solve the problem.

While the outer display is lit (either dimly or brightly), it takes two button presses of the outside play key to activate the music player.

But when the outer display is completely dark, it takes three button presses of the outside play key to activate the music player.

So you could go into the display settings and reduce the amount of time it takes for the "front backlight" to turn off.

I accessed the service menu (##program8370) and looked for but could not find an option to turn off the outside display.
    Last edited by Matt_; 07-14-2012 at 04:36 PM.

Feedback Score
    I checked that setting, but I already had it set to the 7 second minimum it allows. Of course the settings for the main display and key back light have options for 'always off', but not the front backlight..

The sensible way to implement key lockouts normally requires a press of a different button than the one first pressed, but this one simply requires successive presses of the same button, which ends up rather ineffective. Guess they didn't consider that.

I never use the front buttons at all anyway, so if there were some way to physically disable them I would.

Device(s)
    LG Clout vx8370;
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I think I found a bug when you transfer pictures to the phone's internal memory from the memory card when it's inside the phone.

Main Menu -> My Pictures

If I transfer pictures one at a time, there's no problem.

... Options -> Manage Pics -> Move To Phone

If I move the pictures a few at a time by "MARK"ing them, there's no problem.

But when I attempt to move all the pictures at once from the memory card to the internal memory by selecting "Mark All", there's an error reported for some of the pictures during the process of the phone moving all the pictures. The error message is "source file not removed". Those pictures for which this error message was reported are now missing not only from the internal memory but the memory card, too. What's left behind is just the file name of the picture. When you try to erase this corrupted file, the phone unsuccessfully attempts to erase it. The only way I've been able to erase these corrupted files is resetting the phone to factory settings.

I wondered if the problem was with the pictures themselves, but I encountered the same things with a different group of pictures. I duplicated the bug when I used a different memory card, so I don't think the problem is with the memory card or the capacity of the memory card. I unsuccessfully tried to avoid the problem by deselecting one of the marked files after selecting "Mark All" since now technically I'm not trying to transfer all the pictures -- but that still resulted in the error.

Device(s)
    LG Clout vx8370;
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Question

Quote Originally Posted by FAUguy View Post
    I recently noticed that my Clout sounded like it was using EVRC-B 4GV-NB voice codec, and some voices were a bit garbled sounding and not as clear as they were a few weeks ago. Sure enough, I noticed the same thing on the Motorola DROID X.

Here's how to go back to using standard EVCR on the Clout.
    Dial, ##PROGRAM8370, Send, 000000.
    Field Test, Voice SO. Make sure 8K EVRC is selected for Home Page, Home Origin and Roam Origin.
    Then go to Network Select, P_REV and select REV 4. This will change the phone from working in 1x (where the tower selects the voice codec used) to D (where the phone's EVRC mode is used). Then reset the phone.
    You still still have 3G for EVRC for Data, but for voice it will use D with standard EVRC codec instead of 1X with EVRC-B 4GV-NB codec.

I made a few tests calls both ways and and tell the difference.
    Too bad they are using 4GV-NB (narrow band) and not WB (wide band) as that would solve the problem. [...]
    From the info I've gathered, when the phones are in P_REV 6 mode, the network tower dictates which voice codec to use (13K, EVRC, EVRC-B 4GV-NB). But when you change to P_REV 4 mode, you can then tell the tower which codec you want to use. So when I have it set to EVRC and go to the status screen, it sows EV as the service mode, or if I change to 13K it will show 13 in the service screen. When using EVRC-B 4GV-NB, it shows "68" as the service mode in the service screen.

Like I said, in my area, when using P_REV 6 on the phones, the towers are forcing the phones to use EVRC-B 4GV-NB. Sometimes it sounds OK, but 80% of the time voices sound a bit garbled in the details. When changing the phone to P-REV 4, it uses standard EVRC and sounds much better (like it did a few weeks ago). [...]
    Im in the Ft Lauderdale area, so there are a lot of people down here. Im not sure as to them using 800 or 1900MHz for voice now, but many years ago Verizon purchased the old PrimeCo network that was 1900 CDMA. I don't know if they are still using that band, or changed to 800. LTE 700 is active in south FL.

When I go into the phones Service Menu, it shows my SID as 4152 using channel 425 to 500, and HDR (EVDO) using channel 550.

(1) I am able to change to P_REV 4 mode and force the phone to use the 13K or EVRC codec, and the 1x icon changes to the letter D icon.

In the second and third of your three posts, you mention a "status screen" and "sevice screen". How do I locate and access either of these screens when I want to determine with 100% certainty that I succeeded in forcing the phone from using its default voice codec to using the voice codec that I want it to use ?

(2) In general, do the various brands and models of Verizon phone always display the letter D icon instead of the 1x icon when a person has successfully forced the phone to use the user-selected network ?
    To put it another way, is it generally true for the different brands and models of Verizon phones that the phone is not using the voice codec that I selected if the phone is displaying the 1x icon instead of the letter D icon ?

Device(s)
    S8, G5, Samsung Note 4 DE, Note 3, Moto DROID Bionic, DROID RAZR, Galaxy Nexus, Rezound, V9m, VX8000
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt_ View Post
    (1) I am able to change to P_REV 4 mode and force the phone to use the 13K or EVRC codec, and the 1x icon changes to the letter D icon.

In the second and third of your three posts, you mention a "status screen" and "sevice screen". How do I locate and access either of these screens when I want to determine with 100% certainty that I succeeded in forcing the phone from using its default voice codec to using the voice codec that I want it to use ?

(2) In general, do the various brands and models of Verizon phone always display the letter D icon instead of the 1x icon when a person has successfully forced the phone to use the user-selected network ?
    To put it another way, is it generally true for the different brands and models of Verizon phones that the phone is not using the voice codec that I selected if the phone is displaying the 1x icon instead of the letter D icon ?
    Sorry, just saw this today.

The first step is to place the phone in the P_REV menu and set it to MOB_P_REV 4, and it will restart automatically.
    Then go to Field Test and Voice SO and set Home Page, Home Origin, and Roam Origin to 13K or EVRC (they all have to be set the same one), and manually restart the phone.
    Then go back to Field Test and choose 1) Screen. Press "611" and Send, and the screen will show again durring the call. Use the Down arrow and you'll see Service Option. If will say "13" if you are using the 13K vocoder, "EV" for EVRC vocoder, and "68" if using EVRC-B 4GV NB vocoder.

Device(s)
    LG Clout vx8370;
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Thank you for your help. I was able to successfully follow these steps on the 8370.
    If I want to try these steps on another phone that does not have a "field test" mode, if I have a "D" instead of a "1x" after changing the p_rev then does that mean that I was at least able to override whatever voice coder that the tower was telling the phone to use ? This other phone doesn't list the p_rev choices as p_rev6, p_rev4, etc. Instead, it lists several different cdma technologies to choose from. So I thought that seeing the "1x" change to a "D" might mean that the CDMA technology that I chose was the one that is also known as p_rev4. But I wasn't sure if other p_rev numbers other than p_rev4 might also cause the "1x" to change to a "D".

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt_ View Post
    Thank you for your help. I was able to successfully follow these steps on the 8370.
    If I want to try these steps on another phone that does not have a "field test" mode, if I have a "D" instead of a "1x" after changing the p_rev then does that mean that I was at least able to override whatever voice coder that the tower was telling the phone to use ? This other phone doesn't list the p_rev choices as p_rev6, p_rev4, etc. Instead, it lists several different cdma technologies to choose from. So I thought that seeing the "1x" change to a "D" might mean that the CDMA technology that I chose was the one that is also known as p_rev4. But I wasn't sure if other p_rev numbers other than p_rev4 might also cause the "1x" to change to a "D".
    What is the other phone you are trying to change the P_REV and vocoder on?
    As you can we on the LG Clout, it lists REV 3, 4, and 6. All new phones are on 6 as default. I've seen REV 9 listed on smartphones, but still has 6 selected as default. On the Droid Razr, can go into the programming menu and change it to REV 4, and then the Vocoder from EVRC-B to regular EVRC or 13K. But on the GS III, we can see the settings in its debug menu, but can't make any changes.

Device(s)
    SCH-I535
    Carrier(s)
    PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshatdot View Post
    Well I can't activate the 8370 on my VZW prepaid plan w/o having a data plan also . Stupid Data Plan!
    Quote Originally Posted by TCAT View Post
    Are you sure? I was thinking of buying this phone on the $10 standard plan, or maybe the $80 annual plan (Pageplus). I have no need for data.
    Sorry for the very late reply

I am positive .. well from OTA prepaid programming I cannot activate it w/o a data plan
    My dropbox - Ringtones -

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    After using the LG Clout for the past couple years, I'm thinking of replacing it with either the LG Exalt or Samsung Convoy 3.
    The Exalt has a 3" internal display, which is probably nice, but not sure if the LED-Dot front display will be that useful.
    The Samsung Convoy 3 looks almost like a clone of the LG Clout, with color LCD front display with music buttons and stereo speakers.

Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25