Thread: Does it cost to use Fido's outgoing GPRS server?

Phones
    Audiovos 8600
    Audiovox 8450
    Carrier
    Bell Mobility
    Feedback Score

Does it cost to use Fido's outgoing GPRS server?

Hi guys,
    First of all this is my first post on the Fido forum.. I was/am a regular of the Bell board as I had been with bell for 6 years or so. I got an iPhone on Saturday and I just finally figured out how to make my Shawmail work.

However, the solution that I found says that I need to use gprs.fido.ca as my outgoing mail server.

I have the 6 gig for $30 data plan. Will I get charged anything extra for using the GPRS server?

Thanks for your help! look forward to getting to know all of you better

Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8830/4.5.0.160 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/109)

That isn't a server--it's what is referred to as an APN (Access Point Name).

Think of it as a network path to the internet. It's facilitating access to the Shaw email server via the 'net.

GSM support of APN's allows for access to various networks.
    Last edited by jase88; 08-31-2009 at 11:29 PM.

Phones
    Audiovos 8600
    Audiovox 8450
    Carrier
    Bell Mobility
    Feedback Score
    thanks for the explanation
    Is this something that fido charges for? (you gotta love cell phone companies they'd bill you for charging your cell phone if they could). I just want to make sure I don't get a wonderful surprise in my first bill.

Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8830/4.5.0.160 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/109)

Regular data use rates would apply. If you have a data plan, your data use would be deducted from that plan...

Phones
    Audiovos 8600
    Audiovox 8450
    Carrier
    Bell Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jase88

Regular data use rates would apply. If you have a data plan, your data use would be deducted from that plan...
    Cool this is acceptable. Emails aren't usually data-intensive unless you're downloading a ton of huge attachments...

Thanks for the info
    Psyched that the email is even working!

Carriers
    Fido, B-Mobile(Japan), Maxis, China Mobile HK,One2Free
    Bouygues, Vodafone Japan, TIM
    Feedback Score
    OP is using gprs.fido.ca as an outgoing ** SMTP SERVER ** , probably because his own ISP/mail provider doesn't support authenticated SMTP.

Fido is setting that up as an SMTP server, in addition to being an APN.

There is no additional charge for using that SMTP server. Normal data charges apply. In this case, $30 plan covers it.

Phones
    Audiovos 8600
    Audiovox 8450
    Carrier
    Bell Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Everything was well and good, but I just tried to send a pic in an email and either Shaw or fido decided that wasn't gonna happen. I got some bs about the recipient's address being rejected... and I was replying to an email so the address was correct. I had to add my google account as a backup but I'd rather use my Shaw mail