Thread: New Activation...How Long Should It Take?

Carriers
    Sprint/Nextel
    AT&T/Cingular
    Feedback Score

New Activation...How Long Should It Take?

The title says it all...how long should a new activation take? I just bought a W376g and went through the online activation, which now says it could take up to 4 hours to finish the activation process and give me a number. Does that sound correct to anyone else? I don't have a problem waiting, but was just curious if it really takes this long.

Phones
    Samsung T201G
    Motorola W376
    BlackBerry 8703e
    Carriers
    AT&T (Tracfone / Net10)
    Feedback Score
    This time of night, you may have to wait until the underlying carrier opens for business -- there may be no one there to activate the phone right now. Daytime activations usually take place in minutes if they go through smoothly.

Carriers
    Sprint/Nextel
    AT&T/Cingular
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mharris127
    This time of night, you may have to wait until the underlying carrier opens for business -- there may be no one there to activate the phone right now. Daytime activations usually take place in minutes if they go through smoothly.
    Gotcha. I guess that's what it was, because it's ready to roll now. Thanks again.

Feedback Score
    If the phone doesn't activate in about 5-10 minutes, try entering the information again online. You may get a message telling you about codes you need to enter into your phone. There may be more than one round of this.

Phones
    Samsung Messager II, Sanyo Zio
    Sanyo Zio 6000
    Samsung Messager 2
    Carriers
    Cricket
    Net10
    Feedback Score
    Unless I was waiting for a number to port over, longest activation for me has been 10 minutes

Make sure you turn the power off then on every 30 min or so.

Net10 and Trac have always sent me a txt when I activated

Phones
    G1
    Motorola V197
    Samsung SCH-U350
    Carriers
    Tmobile
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    My activation took 2 days (probably didn't help that I started on Saturday night) and involved several iterations of entering codes from the website, rebooting the phone, and waiting.

I was puzzled at what a pain in the *** it was compared to activating on Verizon prepaid, PagePlus, or AT&T Gophone - all of which worked more or less immediately, Verizon even working without needing to use a separate telephone or Internet connection.

My TF has worked fine since it finally activated, but from my experience it's not a good choice for a prepaid phone to keep in the package to activate in a hurry b/c of an emergency or urgent situation.

Carrier
    verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GregNE
    Unless I was waiting for a number to port over, longest activation for me has been 10 minutes

same here, never over 10-15 min.max

Phone
    Motorola 376
    Carriers
    Platinumtel
    Kajeet
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GregNE

Even when I ported a number over from Cricket it took less than an hour before my phone was up and running.

Phones
    iPhone 4 VZW - Nokia 2126 TracFone
    iPhone 4 - Nokia 2126
    Carriers
    1. GWI iLine
    3. ex- AT&terrible
    Feedback Score
    Any TF I did has been active within a minute or two.

The porting I did last week from a GWI home phone # (moving houses so getting a different exchange) to TF - just so we would still be reachable through the # - was one and a half weeks of TF CSR hell.

Spending 1 hour a day on the phone, 24hr waiting periods, incomplete porting requests, miscommunication by TF, repeating the situation ad nauseum to level 1 and 2 people, ...

For days after the # was no longer on my phone provider's switch and after even TF's porting supervisor eventually confirmed the # port went through; -get this- all level 1 CSR and generic porting staff at TF would say the request was not completed, still waiting on my other provider, etc!

Because of another issue I only recently found the TF Corp # and was very impressed with their instant response time and non-scripted attitude ... but last week was TF hell as far as I'm concerned. That's where I really was boiling, only "Ejon" (?) the porting supervisor was on top of things. Any of the ladies working under him were, unfortunately enough, useless. That's what I boils down to for me, if he says on Friday, it is completed and in our system ... and on Monday the ladies still say, we didn't hear from GWI yet!!!!!

Porting a home # is certainly YMMV. Fortunately I got through it in a good week, because I had a small provider GWI, where I could talk with a dedicated representative and with the provisioning person 1:1.

Can't imagine if I were porting a # from Verizon/Fairpoint.
    It's getting the signal that matters.

GoPhone Caution: AT&T / Cingular GoPhone = No Roaming
    Our Nokia CDMA TracFones boldly go anywhere and make calls beyond where we only dreamed to get a signal with Cingular / AT&T