Thread: The 8th (now 10th) Anniversary of 9/11: A HoFo Flashback

Telford/Souderton,PA to St.Petersburg/Clearwater,FL
    Device(s)
    Electric Blue Galaxy S5
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score

The 8th (now 10th) Anniversary of 9/11: A HoFo Flashback

Sometimes it's hard to believe it's been 9 years since the World Trade Center,Pentagon,and Shanksville,PA tragedies.A lot of the issues we hotly debate now can trace their beginnings from 9/11.Even though I wasn't even aware of HoFo then, I went back to see what people who were here were saying:HoFo on 9/11/2001 I remember exactly where I was(at work) and watching the second plane crash into the WTC live.
    Last edited by experiment626; 09-11-2010 at 12:07 AM.
    A Great Commercial for a Beautiful Automobile : The Oldsmobile Aurora

Device(s)
    iPhone 4
    Carrier(s)
    At&t
    Feedback Score
    Wow, my roomates and i were just talking about this today. I was in 7th grade, any my math teachers husband called her and told her to turn on the tv. I watched the second plane hit. Sends chills down my spine thinking about it.

I had to change classes right after the second plane hit, and it was my history class. We were watching all the news at the time (i believe it was right after the first fell) and my principal came around and made everyone turn it off. My history teacher was PI$$ED!

But yeah, thats what i was doing. wow. 8 years....

Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk Wireless
    Feedback Score
    For once a thread where we can just reflect on our shared experience and not be at each other's throats.

I was a freshman in college, had only been away from home for three weeks. I had a 7:45am College Writing class that tuesday that got out at 9:15am (central time). Following that class I still had no idea what was going on until I headed on over to the business department for my principles of management class. Outside the lecture hall they had a bank of four television monitors that always played cnbc, msnbc, fox news, and CNN....essentially the same footage was on all four screens, it showed a building on fire....They were talking about the world trade center, but I was thinking to myself, "that's weird I thought the WTC was two buildings"...I still remember that moment of confusion as I processed what was happening. The first building had already fallen (8:59am), and they were speculating that the same fate was likely to befall the remaining tower, which it did, at 9:28am.

The crowd of management students gathered around the monitors as we waited for the professor to come unlock the classroom. I remember nobody said a word to each other. Around 9:30 the professor showed up for our 9:25 class, textbooks under his arm. I think maybe he grabbed his books in a state of shock, thinking he might still try to teach, but we would not be using them that day. We all filed in and took our seats. Dr. Avery stood there for a moment, trying to gain composure so he could speak, but all he managed to choke out was "Everyone please pray for our country...see you on Thursday". It was surreal to see this professor, a retired Navy vet, in tears in front of 50 students.

I'm a little confused about the timeline of that morning, because I very distinctly remember it was 9:30 when the prof came to let us into the classroom, yet I don't, for the life of me, remember seeing the 2nd tower fall on the monitors outside the classroom, yet I was there the whole time. Maybe my watch was off. It was before I started carrying a cellphone.
    Last edited by matt314159; 09-11-2009 at 04:59 AM.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6+
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by matt314159
    For once a thread where we can just reflect on our shared experience and not be at each other's throats.
    Agreed, and a good idea for a thread.

I used to work on the Commodites Exchange at 4 World Trade (one of the smaller buildings that went down with tower 2), but I was living in Nashville at the time, asleep because I was unemployed and therefore staying up late. My Dad who works for the airlines called me and I remember him saying, "Turn on the TV. Any channel." And for the next four hours I just stood in front of the TV. I remember thinking very clearly after the first tower collapsed how odd the skyline of New York will look with only one tower. My brain couldn't comprehend the fact that if one tower fell, the other one probably will too.

It was so eerie seeing scenes from the financial district where I had spent so much time -- my Dad used to own a pub down by Wall St. -- everything covered with dust and papers. There was a small park on the Broadway side of the WTC that had a bench with a bronze statue of a businessman reading a paper with his briefcase next to his feet. When I was younger I remembered watching a thief try to steal that briefcase only to have his arm just about yanked out of the socket because, of course, it was all bolted or welded to the ground. A news crew showed a shot of that statue up to it's waist in rubble.

My wife was in DC at the time, in training to work for the airlines herself, and they were hearing all sorts of things about other missing aircraft. She ended up on one of the first flights in the air once air traffic was opened and there were some frightened folks on that flight.

I have only been back to NYC once since then, oddly enough it was on 9/11/2002 for a wedding of a close friend. The city didn't look the same at all without the towers and I couldn't bring myself to go downtown. One of these days I'd like to see it again but it's still hard to imagine that area without so many of the places that I remember.

Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Saoirse1916
    There was a small park on the Broadway side of the WTC that had a bench with a bronze statue of a businessman reading a paper with his briefcase next to his feet.
    Just out of curiousity, is this the statue? Last night I was browsing through some 9/11 images and when you mentioned the statue, my mind immediately snapped back to this photograph. It's hard to make the statue out what with all the shovels in front, but it almost looks like it had been removed from the bench on which it was sitting. I was just curious

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I was in the Navy at the time and my ship was deployed to the Persian Gulf area. I was in my workcenter talking with one of my co-workers when another guy that worked with me came into the space saying we just got attacked. He turned on the TV (we had a CNN feed out there via satellite) and we all stared in shock at the images and video of the attacks.

Our schedule went all to hell as we shifted from supporting Operation Southern Watch to spearheading Operation Enduring Freedom.

It was a very surreal experience.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6+
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by matt314159
    Just out of curiousity, is this the statue? ...but it almost looks like it had been removed from the bench on which it was sitting. I was just curious
    Wow, that's the one. Funny, I could have sworn his briefcase was on the ground because I very clearly remember someone trying to steal it! Must have been trying to jack it right off the guy's lap... Anyway, it was removed from the bench which I didn't think was possible -- I figured it was all welded together.

Feedback Score
    I was called into work early that day. When I got to work, we went on code Red status in case we were going to receive any of the victims from the WTC. That was one of the saddest days at work, for all of us, and one that I hope I never have to experience again.

Device(s)
    BlackBerry Bold 9000
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    It was my freshman year at college and I woke up to the radio show blathering on about a terrorist attack in New York. Of course I thought it was all a big joke, but it'd be quite a horrid joke. Then they said "I know we usually joke around on this show, but we're serious this time. Go turn on the TV." So I went downstairs and turned on the TV and my mouth just dropped open. I didn't see the second plane hit live, but I did see the first tower go down, and listening to the reactions of the newscasters coupled with my own, I had to sit down. I was feeling faint.

The mood at school that day was most definitely somber.

Device(s)
    iPhone 3G
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterPrez
    It was my freshman year at college and I woke up to the radio show blathering on about a terrorist attack in New York. Of course I thought it was all a big joke, but it'd be quite a horrid joke. Then they said "I know we usually joke around on this show, but we're serious this time. Go turn on the TV." So I went downstairs and turned on the TV and my mouth just dropped open. I didn't see the second plane hit live, but I did see the first tower go down, and listening to the reactions of the newscasters coupled with my own, I had to sit down. I was feeling faint.

The mood at school that day was most definitely somber.
    I remember I was also a freshman in college (like a few of y'all).

Had an early morning class (8:00am) which I promptly missed, and was in the student center to get some brunch (9:45am), when I saw everyone crowded around the giant TV in there.
    I was trying to wiggle my way in front and saw my friend Haley. Went next to her, and saw that she was in tears and I had no idea why. As soon as I saw what had happened, my jaw dropped!
    Being of Indian origin, and regularly having security scares in India from the mujaheddin who were all pakistani or afghani..I had half a thought it might be them. But didn't pursue that notion, because I didn't think those cavemen bigots would have anything against USA, or have the brains or moolah to launch such an attack. Mum called me from India hoping I was alright (I was in Southern Illinois lol).

Most of the rest of the day went by in a daze. Every topic in class was about the attacks. We held a candlelight vigil outside our dorm the next day for the lost ones of 9/11.
    I hope Limbaugh's kidney fails too

Device(s)
    Electric Blue Galaxy S5
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    The year has flown by and we've reached this sad Anniversary too quickly.I've updated the Title and re-released this Thread. BTW, of all the video I've seen this is the most honest to me. It was taken by a couple living a few blocks away from the WTC.
    Last edited by experiment626; 09-11-2010 at 01:04 AM.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s Plus Grey 128Gb
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    It's amazing how fast the years go by, it just seems like the other day......... Despite political and religious affiliation all Americans were united that day. I've seen that video before, and it still brings chills down my back.
    Hartford, CT Area

Device(s)
    6110, HWideos
    Carrier(s)
    singtel(sg), telkomsel(id), maxis(my)
    Feedback Score
    i remember being in the subway early that day on the six train for a 10.00am job interview les... didnt make it...

none of it was real until i felt the ground shake when the first tower came down...me and everyone else walking near canal st just stopped in our tracks and the whole street just looked at each other with this WTF moment... phone was jammed, public transport all stopped... that was the first and only day i ever walked across the third ave bridge into the bronx. I would have probably been a new yorker for life if not for that day.
    76% of statistics are based on 59% false information, and 28% outright lies. 34% of statistics are purposely misleading, and 88% are fabricated due to missed deadlines and faith-based agendas.
    I am a green libertarian, i want to move to new vermontshire
    http://zfacts.com/
    http://wikileaks.org

Device(s)
    Electric Blue Galaxy S5
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score

10 Years Already............................

Time Marches On....and here we are at the 10 Year Anniversary of 9-11. Go to the Opening Post and click the link and visit HoFo on that day. With Osama Bin Laden brought to justice earlier this year it seems as though,perhaps, there's a sense of closure. We Shall Never Forget..............(Below the National September 11 Memorial & Museum) And here:http://www.honorflight93.org is the Memorial for Flight 93 which crashed in Shanksville,PA after it's passengers fought the hijackers in air.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by experiment626; 09-11-2011 at 02:54 AM.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s Plus Grey 128Gb
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    They did a very nice job with the memorial....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast