Thread: Msl, Spc

Phone
    Motorola i580
    Carrier
    Nextel
    Feedback Score

Msl, Spc

I went to the local Sprint store the other day to have my firmware and PRL updated on my 6185. They told me that it wouldn't work because I had an invalid MSL, and that they would have to re-download the software after the store closed. I told them I would be back.

I realized later that night that when I was given instructions on programming the phone upon activation (which a toddler could do), that I may have been responsible for the error. You see, I wrote down the SPC, and later went in to programming mode and changed it from 582819 to 123456. My question is this, is it possible that the MSL and SPC are actually the same thing in this case. I talked to a Verizon rep who is about the biggest phone nerd I've ever met, and he said it was quite possible.

What do you guys think, have I just uncovered a way to unlock my phone, or is it just a coincidence?

Brad

Phones
    Motorola V60c
    Kyocera 6035
    Carrier
    Bell Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Now correct me if I am wrong but SPC = service provider code and MSL + master service lock.

Every ESN as 2 lock codes the Activation lock code which is used for the first programming of the phone and the Master lock code which is used every time thereafter to program the phone.

Your phone would only really be unlocked if it didn't ask for the Lock Code when trying to program it, but if you change the SPC that's almost the same thing

Carriers
    Telus HSPA, Rogers HSPA ($50 unlimited)
    Feedback Score
    If you change the SPC/MSL to six zeros it will no longer ask you and the sprint rep will be able to update your phone. You should probably change it back to whatever it was originally set to or they may know you are up to something.

The one-time programming code is called OTKPL

Phone
    Motorola i580
    Carrier
    Nextel
    Feedback Score
    You see, I want to see if I can trick him into giving me a definite answer on this. I changed the SPC (service programming code), and I guess the MSL (master subsidy lock) must have gone with.

Brad

Carriers
    Feedback Score
    MSL & SPC are exactly the same thing, the master subside lock or Service Programming Code, same thing.

The one time use code however can only be used once to program NAM data, you can not use the one time use code in order to change the SPC/MSL.

If you were able to change the SPC/MSL then the code you had WAS the MSL/SPC not the one time programming code.

Phones
    Motorola V60c
    Kyocera 6035
    Carrier
    Bell Mobility
    Feedback Score
    So changing the SPC to six zero's would unlock it? Do any other phones besides the 6185 have this option?

Carriers
    Feedback Score
    I know Motorola's and Audiovox's do, I would assume that all others would as well.

Phones
    Motorola V60t
    Nokia 8260
    Nokia 3360
    Carriers
    AT&T
    I Meant to say AT&T
    Feedback Score
    actually...you know the 6185 that you have. is it with sprintPCS? cause if it is...then the code is constantly changing. it depends on how many times it has been accessed and the day of the week. i know it seems funny, but there's some kind of formula. for all sprintPCS phones, including the nokia 6185 that by the way has a kick *** web browser if you had it updated, has a lock code that is supplied by a sprintPCS CSA. and it's different each time. there's no way to change it. am i wrong? tell me and i'll try it out on my 6185.
    the verizon 6185 however....does have a programable lock code. and by default i think...it's soppose to be 000000.
    and thank you for shopping at your sprintPCS and verizon store at your local Radioshack. hahaha.
    Was that the $39.99 or the $49.99 calling plan?
    This ain't no swamp meet. I don't care if the people down the street are giving away free sh**.

Feedback Score

Really?

How do I change my SPC to six 0's then?
    Basically, how do I unlock my Sprint fone....that 'rip out your tongue' guy says I would then need the OTKPL or something - How do I get that?