Thread: Mississippi

Phones
    Samsung Captivate
    Samsung Captivate
    Motorola V3xx (retired)
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    That far? Wow! Once they finish those, I'm wondering if they'll work their way all the way down to Vicksburg. Now that would be impressive. But even without that, I have to say that AT&T is doing a great job of activating 3G in the Delta. It took them a while to get started, but they're coming along very nicely.

I wonder if 3G deployment is being managed nationally or if different regions are being handled by different people.
    The 411 on Free 411
    Hanging Up on Telemarketers
    Need to waste some valuable time? Read my blog![/COLOR] Marion's Time Waster

Feedback Score
    I'd say regionaly, just bc of the delta region...I never expected AT&T to turn on this much 3g.

Phone
    iPhone 3G
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    3g is live in Grenada as of 12/31. I was totallyshocked when I saw it last night but delighted. Downloads are about 9-10x faster than Edge

Phones
    iPhone 5
    iPhone 5
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I think a lot of AT&Ts 3G in MS is from the Cell South thing where they will pay your ETF if you come over from AT&T.
    v Speed Test with my Motorola Droid in AL. Droid Does (and so Does Verizon).

Speed Test with my Motorola Droid in Birmingham, AL. Droid Does (and so Does Verizon).^

Speed Test with DSL internet with AT&T(Bellsouth). Horrible.

Phones
    Samsung Captivate
    Samsung Captivate
    Motorola V3xx (retired)
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CellKrazeDude
    I think a lot of AT&Ts 3G in MS is from the Cell South thing where they will pay your ETF if you come over from AT&T.
    I think that may have something to do with it, as well as VZW entering the market. Especially in the Delta, Alltel, in my opinion, was never a serious competitor. Not sure about Unicel, but their coverage was limited. For a long time, your only good choices were AT&T and Cell South, but Cell South never focused too much on data and smartphones until very recently, so anyone wanting a decent smartphone was going to AT&T by default. VZW's entry has changed things, I think.

Also, with the number of small towns situated in pretty straight lines along highways, you can cover a lot of ground with a relatively small number of sites.

One thought does occur to me. Does anyone know the size of the PCS block AT&T has in the Glen Allan area (38744)? If they only have 10 MHz there, they can't turn on 3G, since it takes a minimum of 10 MHz to operate, meaning there would be no room left for GSM.

Feedback Score
    Idk, I did find active 3g neighbor cells around glen alan today....so who knows what they're doing.

Feedback Score
    Fwiw, I was told we were gettin 850 turned on here as well...

Phones
    Samsung Captivate
    Samsung Captivate
    Motorola V3xx (retired)
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I don't see how, since Cell South holds one 850 license and VZW (formerly Alltel) holds the other. Well, at least that's true in Washington County. Not sure about areas north of there.

Feedback Score
    was hoping that someone here could shed a little light on that, the former cs manager is now at AT&T. She argued with me that cs wasn't on 850....about had me convinced I was wrong. About, but not quite:-)

Phones
    iPhone 4
    iPhone 4
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    CS does not have 850 across the entire state. Jackson and middle MS is all 1900. I am not sure about northern MS.

Carrier
    Verizon (Alltel converted)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry ATL
    CS does not have 850 across the entire state. Jackson and middle MS is all 1900. I am not sure about northern MS.
    Cellular South has the B-side 850mhz in the Mississippi Delta, Batesville/Oxford, Columbus/Starkville, Hattiesburg/Laurel, McComb/Natchez, and the Mississippi Gulf Coast. AT&T has the B-side 850mhz in Southaven/Senatobia, Tupelo/Corinth, and all of Central Mississippi including Vicksburg, Jackson, Grenada, Philadelphia, Meridian.

Carrier
    Verizon (Alltel converted)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Lgoss
    Fwiw, I was told we were gettin 850 turned on here as well...
    Only 1900mhz for AT&T in the Delta. They did build out a heck of al ot of towers and thanks to the flatness of the Delta, coverage looks really good on the map.

Phones
    Samsung Captivate
    Samsung Captivate
    Motorola V3xx (retired)
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    It's very good in real terms. And those rural towers are TALL. You can see them for miles, with very few trees or other obstructions.

Feedback Score
    3g was solid from greenwood through Winona today....still turning on 3g:-)

Phones
    Samsung Captivate
    Samsung Captivate
    Motorola V3xx (retired)
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Lgoss
    3g was solid from greenwood through Winona today....still turning on 3g:-)
    And it isn't that much farther to Starkville and Columbus. I know that Columbus is already on, and I think Starkville is. If they get that far, they might as well just come on over to Tuscaloosa. I doubt they'll do that, since there isn't a lot between Columbus and Tuscaloosa. Still, I never would've thought they'd go this far, so who knows?

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast