Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Phone
    iPhone 3gs
    Carrier
    AT&T- Current :
    Feedback Score

Exclamation AT&T Worried about MMS Friday!!

....I tend to believe this....I am sure there will be some hiccups for the first week or so until the bugs and the newness wears off.

------------------------------------------------
    DSLReports claims to have received word from a source noting that AT&T is extremely nervous about the impending launch of MMS for the iPhone scheduled for this Friday. Early testing of the service has apparently already placed a strain on the company's MMS servers, resulting in a test outage yesterday and a last-minute rush to beef up capacity beyond the measures already taken.

AT&T and its MMS partners are already seeing "record traffic during peak hours of the night" with just the users selected for testing.

That early testing has been a little rocky, with AT&T seeing a fairly significant test outage yesterday that has them rushing to beef up their MMSC messaging servers. Estimates among those working on the project are that traffic on AT&T's wireless network will be about 40% higher all day on Friday as iPhone users fire pictures and video at one another.

The source also revealed AT&T's plans for rolling out the service on Friday, with deployments scheduled in groups to begin at 10:00 AM Eastern time and new groups being activated on an hourly basis after that in order to slowly ramp demand and gauge service performance. "Starting at 10AM Eastern (on the 25), AT&T will send out a mass text to a group of iPhone users telling them that MMS now works on their phone," says one source familiar with AT&T's MMS plans. "They will keep doing groups of phones on the hour throughout the day" assuming all goes well, says the source.

source: http://www.macrumors.com/2009/09/23/...ne-mms-launch/

Phone
    iPhone 3Gs
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    As long as mine doesn't stop working, I'm ok.

Phone
    iPhone 8gb
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    going and ahead and getting ready to sail

Phone
    Iphone 6SPlus (AT&T)
    Carrier
    AT&T & Verizon. T-Mobile 1999-2009, RIP.
    Feedback Score
    Can't wait.

Phone
    HTC EVO
    Carrier
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    this is non news for so many of us who updated their carrier file a couple weeks ago with the hack that was posted all over the place..

Phone
    iPhone 3gs
    Carrier
    AT&T- Current :
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wase4711
    this is non news for so many of us who updated their carrier file a couple weeks ago with the hack that was posted all over the place..
    The news isn't that mms is here on friday, its the fact that the network might come to a halt.

Phone
    HTC EVO
    Carrier
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by joshieca
    The news isn't that mms is here on friday, its the fact that the network might come to a halt.
    Well, considering the ****** quality of ATT's wireless service in general, that wouldn't surprise me..

I have been using MMS with the updated carrier file for 2 weeks now, and only once did it not work properly, but, when the millions of other folks are added to the roster of people testing it out, there is a good chance there will be problems.
    Lets just hope its only the MMS part of the service that has problems, and we are still able to make and receive phone calls and get emails..

Phone
    iPhone 3gs
    Carrier
    AT&T- Current :
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wase4711
    Well, considering the ****** quality of ATT's wireless service in general, that wouldn't surprise me..

I have been using MMS with the updated carrier file for 2 weeks now, and only once did it not work properly, but, when the millions of other folks are added to the roster of people testing it out, there is a good chance there will be problems.
    Lets just hope its only the MMS part of the service that has problems, and we are still able to make and receive phone calls and get emails..
    I am sure there will be some service issues starting Friday and lasting through Tuesday of next week....more so in the urban citys or at games/events where large crowds will be.

You know everyone and their mother who has an iPhone is going to try it this weekend.....After the newness of iPhone MMS wears off, it should settle down.

Phone
    iPhone 3G S (32 gig)
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I'm worried about the implications in EDGE land. The rapid purchases of the iPhone 3G(S) around here have basically shutdown any data usage at all the last month around here. I figure that my MMS capability will be about as useful to me as my 3G capability.
    Cheers,

What your smartphone says about you:
    RIM Blackberry: I use this phone for work.

Apple iPhone: I use this phone for play when I should be working.

WM: I use this phone because I love pinwheels, resets, task managers, editing registries, and waiting.

Nokia S60: I use this phone to work while I am sitting in the sauna joking with my buddies about how stupid Americans are because they won't pay $800 for a Nokia smartphone.

Phone
    iPhone 7 Plus 256GB Apple Black
    Carrier
    Verizon, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I have to ask, what have they been working on since June? Scrambling NOW to beef up servers?
    I thought that's what were supposed to be doing before the test.
    iPhone 7 Plus 256GB on Verizon (new) Unlimited plan.
    T-Mobile $30 5GB/100Talk Pre-Paid
    iPad Mini 2 Retina 128GB on AT&T LTE

Phone
    LG G2
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RF9
    I have to ask, what have they been working on since June? Scrambling NOW to beef up servers?

Welcome to the wonderful world of La La land!
    Today a group of leading venture capitalists published an open letter to the FCC calling on them to prevent what they say would be the end of net neutrality and a crippling blow to young startups.
    No Google, say it ain't (or wouldn't of been ) so! ATT and Verizon would have killed their own cash cow.

Phone
    HTC EVO
    Carrier
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RF9
    It takes alot of their time to count all that money they make every month!!

I am sure they have a nicely worded excuse prepared that they will be posting on their website Friday Afternoon when all hell breaks loose...

Phone
    Iphone 4 32Gb Black
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I am sure there will be some service issues starting Friday and lasting through Tuesday of next week....more so in the urban citys or at games/events where large crowds will be.

You know everyone and their mother who has an iPhone is going to try it this weekend.....After the newness of iPhone MMS wears off, it should settle down.
    you're right. It would have been smarter for att to implement this on a monday when people are busy with work and don't have an entire weekend to jam the lines. I imagine it would have been a more steady increase in usage over the 5 workdays.
    Oh well.

Phone
    Nexus 6P
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Estimates among those working on the project are that traffic on AT&T's wireless network will be about 40% higher all day on Friday as iPhone users fire pictures and video at one another.
    At the risk of sounding cynical. If MMS truly "strains" the infrastructure this much what does that say about tethering? I'm guessing tethering will begin rolling out in 2015 or so...

Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    my money says their servers hit capacity before they finish half of the deployment groups and they further delay MMS on the iPhone.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast