Thread: Does leaving Bluetooth ON drain battery much?

Phones
    iPhone 3gs
    iPhone 3gs GSM
    iPad2
    Carrier
    AT&T- Current :
    Feedback Score

Does leaving Bluetooth ON drain battery much?

I was wondering how much battery drain does bluetooth do when it is left on all the time, but not connected?

I only use bluetooth in my car and my sisters car and only a few times a week, but I like to leave it on, so that I do not forget to turn it on...just wondering how much drain it has on the battery when its not connected to anything? My guess would be minimal....TKS

Phones
    Iphone 3gs
    too many to list....
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I leave mine on all the time, since my car has bluetooth. It seems minimal to me, but I've not really turned it off. I take every opportunity to top up my battery as the Li-Ion batteries like to be charged and don't get a memory effect for half charges.

Phone
    iPhone4S 64GB
    Carrier
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    i see absolutely no difference on battery life when i have bt on all the time vs. enabling just when i turn on my headset

Phones
    iPhone 3GS 16GB (curr)
    iPhone 3G 8GB (prev)
    UTStarCom 6700 (prev)
    Feedback Score
    Very little if any.

Phones
    iPhone 3gs
    iPhone 3gs GSM
    iPad2
    Carrier
    AT&T- Current :
    Feedback Score
    Perfect...thanks everyone

Phone
    iPhone 4 32gb
    Carrier
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    I have to disagree. I notice a substantial drain unfortunately.

Feedback Score
    Very minimal when it's not connected. Almost enough not to bother...but with a few of the battery issues some are having, I'd turn it off.

You also can't really "forget" to turn something on when you need to use it, either it's on or you'll notice it's not and turn it on.
    Winner of 3rd Annual HoFies Award.
    Gold Medal for 'Most helpful S60 Hofo'er'
    Bronze Medal for 'Funniest S60 Hofo'er'

Phones
    iPhone 3gs
    iPhone 3gs GSM
    iPad2
    Carrier
    AT&T- Current :
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by oddsocks
    You also can't really "forget" to turn something on when you need to use it, either it's on or you'll notice it's not and turn it on.
    Its true, but in CA you cant use your phone w/o hands free...in my town even if you are looking like you are using your phone you'll get a ticket...so thats why I usually just perfer to leave it turned on and use it only when the car needs to connect.

Feedback Score
    I'm sure there's a shortcut key you can use to turn it on. I use timed profiles on my smartphone. I'm usually only at home or in a vehicle at a specific time for a specific amount of time, so I set up my calendar and schedule and then adjust profiles automatically based on schedule keywords.

Not sure if anything like this exists for the iPhone though.

Phone
    iPhone 4 32gb
    Carrier
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by oddsocks
    I'm sure there's a shortcut key you can use to turn it on. I use timed profiles on my smartphone. I'm usually only at home or in a vehicle at a specific time for a specific amount of time, so I set up my calendar and schedule and then adjust profiles automatically based on schedule keywords.

Not sure if anything like this exists for the iPhone though.

Only if you are jailbroken. Otherwise, you must go through the normal procedure.

Phone
    iPhone 4G 32GB
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Leaving it on is not a problem. For example I get 1% per hour battery drain if there is no connection even with Exchange server connected etc. When connected I get about 4% per hour drain. Quite a difference.
    Don't believe in Sigs.....

Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Yea.. big difference between leaving bluetooth on and actually have connectivity with bluetooth.. Mine is on all the time as I use it only for my car wise, so it doesn't drain a lot of battery.. The only time it actually does connect is when I'm in the car..

Phones
    lg cu500 6230 b, 6682
    Moto V600, Moto v551, p 280
    Nokia 3590, 3595
    Carriers
    Cingular
    6340 gait
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by joshieca
    I was wondering how much battery drain does bluetooth do when it is left on all the time, but not connected?

I only use bluetooth in my car and my sisters car and only a few times a week, but I like to leave it on, so that I do not forget to turn it on...just wondering how much drain it has on the battery when its not connected to anything? My guess would be minimal....TKS
    i have always left my bt on, even on the iphone, no problems ever.
    eight years on hofo, n00b.

Trollers suck!
    IWDCP Sergeant

Phones
    iPhone 3Gs
    iPhone 3G
    Cingular 8525
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I usually leave wifi and BT on at all times and I dont notice much extra battery drain. The only one I regularly toggle on and off is 3G.

Feedback Score
    Bluetooth transferring drains battery but it does not make change to any battery usage when you keep it turned on. I think this is the only concept I have learned about this topic so far.